PDA

View Full Version : Just how intense is Everest???

Tink2002
05-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how "intense" you would rate Everest. I desperately want to give it a go because it sounds so amazing, but I do get motion sickness from time to time if the ride is REALLY crazy.... I love ToT, which does not bother me, and I've done RnRC once and have declined to do it again because that's about my threshold.... it didn't make me ill, but it was about as much as I wanted to handle. Thanks for the advice! :)

cajunmickey
05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
If you can handle Rock and roll you can handle Everest. I think it is just a little faster and rougher than Big Thunder, but not quite as fast as Rock and roll. I really enjoy it but do not get motion sickness. Hope this helps.

tinkerbell04
05-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I agree that it isn't as intense at RNC, the only part that may bother you is the portion that goes backwwards.

HndrdPrcnt
05-18-2008, 11:11 AM
This attraction is nowhere near as intense as RnR. I would say that it compares with BTMRR or SM. The only thing that you need to know, especially due to your motion sickness is that it does go backwards for a decent amount of time.

I say give it a try once. If you decide that it is not for you, then at least you know. Really this is not all that intense of a coaster.

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

NJ Camper
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
i agree if you can do big thunder mountain then you should be fine its as said a little faster but the scenery is amazing i think the best is when you reach the point where it stops and you can see close to the whole disney area what a view and there is no loops so if you did RNR you shouldn't have any problem i know i can't do TOT but can do EE ,TOT will give me motion sickness :ack: so i say go for it

kaliepooh
05-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I agree! I would ride everest again but I'm not to sure about rnrc.

Young@Heart
05-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree that it's not as intense as RNRC. I did that for the first time last trip, and I really liked it, but I don't think I'll do it again. However, I'll definitely do EE again. Fun and thrilling, but not over-the-top. :mickey:

disneylovinmom
05-18-2008, 12:01 PM
My daughter did get sick after riding it, BUT we rode it 3 times in a row. All the changing from forwards to backwards is what did it. If you are prone to motion sickness, maybe you should take some no drowsy formula Dramamine or something like that. You definately should ride it though, if you can. It is pretty cool.

Polynesian Dweller
05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
As others have said, if you handled RnRc without getting sick you can handle EE. I would put it somewhat beyond BTMRR but quite a bit short of RnRc for intensity. The only difference is going backwards for a short period and the ride in total is a bit on the short side, but it is worth the try.:mickey:

Speedy1998
05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Not sure where everyone is getting that EE is like BTMR only a little faster. For Comaparison from the rollercoaster database

BTMR top speed 36 mph
EE top speed 50 mph
Rn'R top speed 57 mph, 3 inversions.

I would guess what caused your motion sickness was the inversions, but consider this before you ride EE. A portion of the ride is backwards in the dark, and can be disorienting.

beksy
05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think that it's extremelly intense. I would compare it to a more intense version of BTMRR except it also goes backwards. My sis is scared of coasters somewhat and was really worried about this one, but once she did it she loved it! Not to worry, you should be fine if you can handle BTMRR, Space Mntn, etc. Go for it and enjoy! :party:

IloveDisney71
05-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't get motion sickness on roller coasters but have experienced motion sickness on Star Tours (go figure!). Anyway, I've ridden EE several times and never had a problem until I rode it 4 times in a row in about 45 minutes. After the 4th time, I felt a little weird but I got over it pretty quickly.
My DH can't even watch rides like Dumbo and Aladin's Magic carpets because he gets motion sickness so easily. He rode EE once and won't ride it again. The backwards part didn't agree with him at all. He felt sick for about 30 minutes after he rode it. So now he knows he can't go on rides that go backwards or in circles. :sick:

Mousemates
05-18-2008, 01:55 PM
While lots of fun....EE is not an extreme ride experience like you get at some of the monster coasters at Busch Gardens and elsewhere(we rode the griffin in williamsburg earlier this spring and it was insane)...however on EE you do go backwards in the dark which does cause a degree of nausea for some (including my DW on occasion).

What helps her on ride like this is to have a small piece of hard candy in her mouth (like a lifesaver)...we're not sure if its a concentration thing, or a blood sugar thing, but whatever it is...it works for her.

Hope it works out for you to ride...EE is great fun....pure Disney magic.

thejens
05-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I am pretty wimpy, but I enjoyed EE. I found it less scary than TOT, a bit less scary than Space Mountain, more scary than BTMR. I don't get motion sick so don't know how that factors in. I felt like the backward part wasn't very long. For me the scary part of rides are the drops and on this ride they are curved which makes it less intense for me.

BluewaterBrad
05-18-2008, 04:22 PM
You pull some pretty good g forces when you go backwards. You have to try it.EE is probably the most detailed of all rides in WDW.:mickey:

disneyworld55925592
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
its wayy more intense then BTMRR i would honestly compare it more to space mountain but it goes backwards and much higher drops! i love it though, its my favorite! :number1:

Donald A
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
In my personal opinion (and also my wife's) EE is the most intense ride at WDW. Once again, just my opinion, but more intense than RnR.

Pirate Granny
05-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I do not like huge drops and roller coasters on a whole...but I LOVE EE...I would caution you NOT to close your eyes while the coaster is going backwards...concentrate on the seat in front of you in you don't want to look around at the great theming...the biggest drop (which isn't too bad) is right after the stop after you've gone backwards...give it a try...you'll probably do just fine...it's my favorite ride at Disneyworld.
:pirate:

brewcrew26
05-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't like roller coasters at all and get motion sickness, too. But I'd do EE in a heartbeat again.

First, ask to be seated in the front row. You can anticipate what's coming (plus, you get an awesome view of the park).

Second, don't close your eyes. Try and visualize what's directly in front of you like someone else suggested.

Third, I tried ginger pills (you can find them at Walgreens, Walmart, etc). They're a natural supplement, didn't make me drowsy at all, but worked to alleviate my motion sickness, or prevent it all together. Someone on Intercot suggested it - worked perfectly!

Finally, try it at least once and then you'll know! (I should take my own advice since I have yet to ride ToT and RnR).

merlinmagic4
05-19-2008, 06:49 AM
I don't love thrill rides but I promised my kids I"d try Everest this past trip. I get awful motion sickness.....can't even swing on the swingset in the back yard! However, I was fine after Everest so I would say it isn't too intense. Actually, I remember thinking it ended just in time; that a bit longer and I would have started feeling sick. I would definitely try it once. I'll be doing it again on our next trip :thumbsup:

joonyer
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Expedition Everest: High degree of of detail in theming + Intensity Level = FUN X 3!

irish1967
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Personally, RnRC is my upper limit - depending on the day/time it is above my limit...(I do best when I ride with my eyes closed - the flashing lights bother me more than anything) (I ride Space Mountain with my eyes closed as well!)

I will definitely go on EE again - for me, it wasn't nearly as bad and RnRC.

Daisy'sMom
05-20-2008, 08:04 AM
I have gotten sick only twice on a ride. The first of Mission Space and the second was EE! Can't explain why it happened either time, but took a few hours to recover from both.

stitcherbelle
06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Everest I don't think is that intense! It doesn't go upside down but it might feel like it at a point! It is so fun and is really fast! You go backwards at a point too! Well it is a bit bumpy but other than that it is nice and so much fun!:D

bruin1344
06-11-2008, 01:02 PM
more intense than Thunder Mountain, tamer than RoR

caryrae
06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I can tell ya I can't handle RnR and ToT but Everest is not a problem we rode 2 times in a row last time we went. The only part I wasn't sure of was before we rode it the 1st time was when it went backwards but that was pretty fun. I say give it a try.

RBrooksC
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
EE is a full sized roller coaster. While it isn't as intense as RNRC, it is not tame either. If you can handled RNRC you can handle this. However those who compare it to SM or BTMR are a little off since those rides are a very different style of coaster and comparing them is rather difficult. The theming of the ride is what makes me give it a higher rating than RNRC. While I love the inversions and the speed of RNRC, the theming of EE helps make it one of the best rides in WDW. To me the theming of the ride from the queue to the experiences on the ride itself is top notch Disney and not to be missed.

Flash
06-11-2008, 04:04 PM
For me the intensity was different depending on the side of the ride car. When I sat on the right (first in the car) I was very dizzy and slightly nauseated. When I sat on the left (last in the car) I was less affected. This was especially related to the backward circle motion. Closing your eyes is a BAD THING! I thought it was also just a little more intense than BTMRR, but my friend who can ride BTMRR without getting sick was absolutely horrified by EE. She thought she had died (the blinking lights ;)). The motion is, to me, completely different than RnR. It's smoother, so some of the curves seem more intense. I really like to ride it, but I have to be careful.

avantgardeinker
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
It's not as intense as RnRC until you start going backwards. I don't get motion sickness, but I did get a little disoriented while going backwards. I loved it, but I can see how someone with motion sickness might not be as excited about it as I was.

:mickey:

WhiteRose1
06-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I have mild seasonal vertigo due to allergies (my season is June-August) We are going in October. When I get a bad attack, I'm out for the day. I am triggered by laying down, or lots of unexpected head movement. (no spinny rides for me EVER!) I really really want to experience EE, but I am moderately concerned about the backwards portion of the ride. Even though I will be 'out of season' for my allergies (and vertigo), I am a tiny bit sensitive year round (and since flowers will most likely still be blooming down in FL, I need to be careful! I'm going to get a perscription for my allergy meds and take them, just in case!!)

How much of the ride is backwards, and does it go up and down many hills while backwards?

Does any portion of the ride leave your body (head) completely horizonal? (I have to sleep sitting up during bad parts of my allergy season!!)

I do not want to be chicken, but when I get an attack I can not do anything. It's rather uncomfortable. Any sudden movement after that will trigger more intense attacks. (making any ride, even riding in a car, feels like riding a teacups over and over and over.) I won't make this decision lightly.

Every other ride in Disney that I would be worried about, I have experienced before I got my wonderful condition, except this one.

Thank you for your help!!

DaisylovesDonald
06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Warning to anyone that has a fear of heights, DO NOT SIT IN THE FRONT CAR!!!!!

The initial lead up on EE is a bit much for me since I am not very comfortable with heights - but I had the front car for one ride - and I thought I was going to FREAK OUT!!!! I almost had a panic attack - I was not expecting the view right before the backwards motion started. SCARE-REE!!!!!

I vote with the "not as intense as RnRC, but more intense than BTMRR".

RBrooksC
06-12-2008, 07:26 AM
How much of the ride is backwards, and does it go up and down many hills while backwards?

Does any portion of the ride leave your body (head) completely horizonal? (I have to sleep sitting up during bad parts of my allergy season!!).

The ride is backwards right after you hit the very top of the ride. You release and go backwards... really fast. While you never are inverted, you do experience a hard banking turn that will have you on your side. Actually, there are no really up and down hills like many coasters. This is more or less a top to bottom ride. I would guess the only way you are going to know if it affects you is to ride it and then decide if you will ride it again.

Tygger7
06-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll echo what many others have said...

EE is probably my all-time favorite ride. I don't care for extreme coasters, and didn't even ride RnRR this last trip because it really bothered me on our 2006 trip. (Not the inversions, but the launch...I had shortness of breath for 2 days after riding.) I also refuse to do ToT because I HATE heights.

To survive the "height" part of EE, I just look down at my feet until we stop (just before it goes backwards). I rode it 6 times on our last trip and never had any problems. Also, my DH gets motion sick very easily and he has never had any problems on EE either.

I would definitely recommend trying it at least once. It's not very long and the overall theming is amazing. :thumbsup: