PDA

View Full Version : Having a panic attack..sold dvc

goingbacktodisney
05-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I can't believe I did it, but my family is getting tired of WDW. We had points at SSR, stayed there once and HATED IT! Said I would never stay there again. We've had 8 trips out of it and had a good time, but started looking at it from a financial standpoint and thought maybe it wasn't worth it after all. Payment and dues = 3100 per year, not incl. travel and ticket expanses. Did I goof?

DVC Mike
05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't imagine selling DVC. Of course, everyone is in different circumstances and there is an active resales market.

We go to WDW 4 times a year and still aren't tired of it. Perhaps that day may come, and if so, we'll probably rent out our points and use the cash to go elsewhere.

We didn't finance (used annual bonus to buy-in), so all we have are the annual maintenance fees. Since I have them deducted monthly, it's not that much.

DVC is not for everyone. Good luck with your decision.

Ian
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd say if you're tired of visiting WDW, then you made the correct choice.

NewmanFamily6
05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow even with our DVC we can only go 1 week a year. We aren't tired of it but I guess it is possible (for DH :secret:) You have to do what is right for you and your family. If that means selling your DVC then that is what you need to do. Did you ever try the cruise or going somewhere else with your points?

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
If you are tired of going to WDW and are at the point where you are looking at DVC from a purely financial standpoint, then I think you made a good decision.

Judging by the number of contracts available for resale at any given time it would seem that you aren't the only ones have decided that DVC just isn't right for them.

MsMin
05-18-2008, 11:00 AM
IMO we all have times when we are busy with other things in our lives and grow tired of the same old thing etc. But as with everything in life things change. I'm sure there will be a time when your family will want to return... we did. Then you also have ability to use it at other locations, even outside of WDW. Does that mean it was a bad decision? no, you have to be happy with the choices you make. It may cost you less over the long run to just pay as you go since you are not going that often. I'm sure we will see you at WDW in the future...

tinkerbell04
05-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I think that you have to do what you think is best for your family. If you are tired of it and just thinking about it in terms of finances, then it was a good choice.

lockedoutlogic
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
If you cannot comfortably afford/ use it....then you made the right decision....

DVC is a complete extravagance....if you are paying longterm on it...or have to sacrifice in other areas of your life.....then you made a sound judgement.

Maleficent's Dad
05-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Everyone above is right - no need to panic. If you're doing it for financial reasons AND your family is a bit tired of the Mouse, then by all means, you did the right thing.

WDW isn't going anywhere soon; it's not like you can't go back!

kakn7294
05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I never bought into DVC for a variety of reasons - it's just not a good fit for us. You have to look at what works best for you and your family. You can always take a trip without DVC - we do it all the time. Although I'm a little jealous of DVC owners who are able to take multiple trips a year, I know that wouldn't work for us and I'm happy to get to go when I can.

JMTStone
05-18-2008, 02:09 PM
WDW isn't going anywhere soon; it's not like you can't go back!

EXACTLY. You can always go back!

Mousemates
05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Don't post-mortem your decision too much...you did what was best for your family, so don't look back. And as others have said, it doesn't mean you can't visit the mouse anyway, we do it quite frequently and we aren't DVC either. When we did the math, it just didn't make sense for us either.

goingbacktodisney
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the support!! I may look into a resale of a smaller amount, such as 50 points vs 175 that we had, and look at a resort that we really like, vs SSR! And you all said the same DH did, we can go back, just not as often!

BluewaterBrad
05-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow! I guess it really can happen!!:mickey:

Horizon93
05-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I am sure that you carefully considered all of your options and determined that selling was the best option for you and your family. There is nothing wrong with that.

And has been mentioned above, WDW isn't going anywhere. You can always go there and stay onsite, and yes, you can always come back to DVC if you want.