PDA

View Full Version : disney in july

ears624
05-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I am going to DL for the 1st time in July 5-12 Is it going to be so busy that we wont have a good time? Its the only time I can go with the family because of work making me take the time off the trip is going to be a long on seeing that we are coming from NY... Any help would be apprecatred... Thanks :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-17-2008, 10:32 PM
It won't be awful. It's worse the week leading up to the 4th. It's pretty much the same, crowd wise, all summer. It is going to be VERY hot, though, and lots of sun, so be prepared with hats, sunglasses, sunblock (LOTS of sunblock) and schedule in some TS lunches, if possible, to get out of the heat midday.

Crowds will be bad, but you'll get it all in if you'll be there for a week. Just don't exhaust yourself on the first day. ;)

MatterhornMiss
05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
DL is pretty busy througout the summer as kids are out of school. It may be hot in CA in July, but if you've ever been down south (that is, southeast USA), the summers are different. CA heat is a dry heat, so it's more tolerable than feeling the sticky humidity. And when the sun sets, it really cools off (I usually take a jacket, even in the summer, just because there is such a temperature change when the sun goes down). Plus, going during the summer means the parks are open longer and they'll have parades and fireworks more frequently. Just be warned that Splash Mountain's line may be over 2 hours long and fastpasses can run out. Riding indoor rides like Pirates (which is at least 15-20mins long at DL) is also a nice way to cool off in the middle of the day. If you want to eat in the parks, Blue Bayou has a nice ambience for table service--just be sure and make ADRs. Have fun!

Aisling
05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Plan for breaks midday to get to the pool and relax. I usually find that between 11am and about 4pm is the worst time for heat. If you can make it through those times, you're good to go. Then again, our weather has been so wacky lately that it might be overcast and cooler that week. You just never know. It's pouring rain at my house right now and 56 degrees (I live near the beach). Two days ago it was near 90 degrees without a cloud in the sky. Just never know. Be prepared for anything and you'll have fun.

As for crowds, yeah, you'll have some. Use fastpasses to your advantage and just know you'll have to wait for some rides. We usually play 'I spy' or some variation of that to keep us entertained. And remember, if it gets too warm, a nice Dole Whip will cool you off!

You have lots of time to enjoy the parks, so make sure to do just that - enjoy.

Cheers!

BrerGnat
05-23-2008, 09:45 PM
It may be hot in CA in July, but if you've ever been down south (that is, southeast USA), the summers are different. CA heat is a dry heat, so it's more tolerable than feeling the sticky humidity.

I love when people say this. :D

An oven produces a "dry heat" too...tell me an oven is not as hot as a sauna when they're set to the same temperature. In my humble opinion, 100 degrees on a sunny day in CA is MUCH worse than 100 degrees and humid on an overcast day in FL. I have spent plenty of days in both types of heat, and I prefer the hot and sticky feeling of a FL (or Northeast...I used to live in NJ) summer to the "I feel like an egg in a frying pan" intense, radiating "dry" heat of So. Cal. When you can literally see the heat waves coming off the pavement on Main St. in Disneyland, it's not a pleasant feeling. Whereas WDW has that reddish colored asphalt, DL does not, so the walkways feel hotter at DL.

Regardless, summertime is just hot. Be prepared.

MegaDisney
05-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Further derailing this...

Humidity INCREASES the "feels like" temperature. Because it DECREASES the amount of sweat that evaporates (thus cooling the body)

90 Degrees with 90% humidity will feel hotter than 90 Degrees with 30% humidity.

There really is a such thing as a "dry heat" in so far as the "feels like" temperature your body feels. The actual temperature is the same but your body will be cooler ie more comfortable.

Back on topic:

July will be busy. Pack lots of paitence, kindness and understanding as well as the aforementioned sunscreen. Mid Day breaks are a GREAT idea!