PDA

View Full Version : Treatment Of DDP Customers

EmporerStitch
05-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I just returned from a nice 7 day trip to WDW. Like last year's trip we got the DDP because it is very convinent and cost effective, but i noticed this year we were treated differently almost like lower class citizens. We would check in like 10min or so before our reservations and they wouldn't seat us until on averege 5 to 15min AFTER the reservation time. They would seat people that walked up and waited but not us.......did anyone else notice this or experience this? Othewise the trip was as magical as ever:cloud9:.....time to plan for next year

ElenitaB
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
We've been blessed to go twice so far this year (once in February ON the DDP and again earlier this month NOT on the DDP). Honestly, I saw no difference in how we were treated.

I'm sorry that you felt that way. Was yours the only party that had to wait a long time for their ADRs? The only time we've received treatment like you describe was at the Brown Derby and we were not on any dining plan that trip. (Needless to say, I'm hard pressed to ever go back there.)

tinkerbelle75
05-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Could it have been just party size? We have never been treated any differently.

Disneyfun
05-17-2008, 02:42 AM
While I haven't noticed a longer wait time to be seated, I have noticed a difference in the waiter and waitresses when they found out that we were on the DDP. The last time that we went was in September of 2007, before the last rounds of rule changes.
We noticed that when the waiters found out that we were on the plan, they were only interested in getting the order and leaving. On their first contact, they would ussually ask for the entire order including dessert! :mad: I could only assume that it was because they knew they were not going to be receiving cash for a tip from our table as it was included in their paycheck and taxed so it was a 'minimum effort' job so they could get onto 'other' things.
Honestly, I have been to WDW many times both on and off the DDP and I can honestly say there is a difference in the service.

dephenn
05-17-2008, 07:27 AM
We always get the DDP and the only place we have ever had an issue with was Mama Melrose we had to wait over 45min with kids at Disney for a meal that is not a character meal it can seem like a life time for every one, and I thought the host staff were rude and the food was only average at best. As a lover of Italian food I hope Disney opens another italian restaurant, because I'll never go back to Mama Melrose's. Other then that no complaints. The wait staff should never assume that people will not leave an extra tip just because people are on the DDP. If the service is friendly and helpful we always leave some extra cash of the tip, I can only remember one time that we didn't when could that have been. The other thing we find strange is that we often have the same waiter or waitress year after year. Any way sorry to hear about your experience.

tadshome
05-17-2008, 08:54 AM
The only time that we ever had a problem was at 50's Prime time. We arrived 15 minutes prior to our ADR time and then we waited a further 90 minutes for our table for 5 people. After an hour I spoke very nicely to the CM and was advised that we just had to sit tight... Never again will we be going there :mad:

SurferStitch
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
We had the DDP in 2006, and never noticed any change in service. It was excellent like always.

Same with the DDE card...excellent.

We just went last week, and now that tip is included with the DDE, we STILL had top notch, excellent service. So good in fact, that we still tipped extra on top of the included 18%.

Also, we did get seated about 5-10 minutes late at several places, but we've seen that for years now. Found out at one place that it was due to people with ADR's earlier than ours showing up so late. They were holding those tables for the late comers (about 15 minutes or so), so while it appeared that some just walked up and got seated before us, they really had an earlier ADR that they were late for.

No biggie....I can wait a few extra minutes to stuff my face! :D

merlinmagic4
05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
It's probably just luck of the draw. We were not on a dining plan and we had terrible service at the Cape May character breakfast.

Our waiter came over, poured coffee and orange juice and started to leave. My husband asked about the procedure for getting food and he waved at the buffet and left. He never asked if our kids might like milk and didn't offer a covered cup of anything for my 2 year old who proceeded to spill his OJ all over himself. And that was just the beginning :(

So, I don't really think poor service has anything to do with the dining plan at all. It was our only sit down meal so I can't compare it to anything this trip.

Jared
05-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not entirely convinced the servers treated guests using the Disney Dining Plan last year, and groups with the Disney Dining Experience card, particularly well. The good ones pay no attention to whether or not the tip is included, but I seriously doubt they are all that committed and caring. I have read too many reports on the boards to think the servers are not giving special attention to tables that are not forced to tip.

Isn't that a novel concept? Do I need to post the definition of "gratuity" again?

:mad:

TheRustyScupper
05-17-2008, 12:24 PM
. . . I have read too many reports on the boards to think the servers are not giving special attention to tables that are not forced to tip . . .

1) Pretty close.
2) Lots of servers pay better attention to non-DDP guests.
3) Those folks are expecting to pay a good gratuity.
4) It is simply a matter of putting more money into the servers pocket.
5) I won't judge right or wrong.
6) If your income was based upon tips, to whom would you cater?

NOTE: Under the old DDP, the servers would spend time with the menu items. Unknown to diners, the more the guest ordered, the larger the tip for the servers. So, even if you didn't want an appetizer and dessert, they tried to get you to order one, "since it was free".

Donalds Duckie
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
It may no longer matter to WDW waitstaff whether they provide good service since they are guaranteed an 18% tip, on the spot, from DDP and DDE guests. I am going to suppose only a small percentage of dining plan guests who receive poor service will actually ask for the manager, the server, and dispute tip vs. service in a crowded restaurant.

Does the mandatory 18% tip apply to DDP and DDE guests only? Or, does this policy now extend to WDW restaurant guests who pay out of pocket as well?

elmjimmlm
05-17-2008, 01:42 PM
2 years ago we were not on the DDP...Last year we were and I thought the service was just as good as the previous year...As for tips, I thought that they arent included this year...Has that changed?:confused:

KineGirl
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Ive ate on the DDP for the past 3 years and really cant account any bad service Ive had to the DDP itself. Sometimes the service is just bad. I know a waitress who works in WDW and while she would rather have the 18% cash tip over it being in her check - that there were alot of guest who werent on DDP, or before the DDP, who dont even tip close to 18%. So in that sense the automatic 18% tip was a kind of blessing. Of course this was when the tip was included. Now she says the tips have gone back to the seesaw it was before, including the DDP'ers - still decent money though. I see it all the time here where I live (BIG vacation area) where ppl spend a good amount of money just to be here and tend to get a little cheap when it comes to tipping. So I wouldnt necessarily blame bad service on DDP

HndrdPrcnt
05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I believe that your treatment is going to depend on the individual server, and not the DDP or no DDP. Of course, being a server in the past, I CAN tell you that when I had a large party that was going to have an automatic gratuity added, I spent less time with them than I did with the tables that got to choose if they left a tip or not. Not to say I gave anyone bad service, I just gave even better service to anyone that my service could make a big difference. The fact of the matter is that even when giving exceptional service, very few will go beyond the automatic gratuity.

Donalds Duckie
05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I understood the new dining plan this way:

Tips are no longer included in the new dining plan. Instead, an 18% tip is automatically added to the tab and that 18% tip must paid by the guest at the close of the meal.

Did I totally misunderstand the new dining plan?

Some of us, always tip beyond an automatic or customary gratuity when the level of service dictates. I added the deluxe dining plan to my December package because I choose to enjoy good table service meals at DisneyWorld. If a server gives me outstanding service they will receive 20-25% from me. I do it when I'm not at Disney, why would I not do it there.

Jared
05-17-2008, 05:09 PM
.6) If your income was based upon tips, to whom would you cater?
I don't blame the servers necessarily. It's an inherent flaw with the system. I shouldn't be forced to pay an 18 percent tip, and the servers shouldn't be put in that situation.

KineGirl
05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I understood the new dining plan this way:

Tips are no longer included in the new dining plan. Instead, an 18% tip is automatically added to the tab and that 18% tip must paid by the guest at the close of the meal.

As far as I know only parties of 6 & larger are required to pay 18%. Other than that it may be a "suggestion" on the check but you can leave whatever tip you like

KylesMom
05-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Same with the DDE card...excellent.

We just went last week, and now that tip is included with the DDE, we STILL had top notch, excellent service. So good in fact, that we still tipped extra on top of the included 18%.
I am SO glad to hear of your experience with the DDE card.

We, too, usually end up waiting for our ADR time - but we now just chalk it up to the TS locations being booked at a higher rate. Back in 2000 & 2001, we waited for a seat as well. Don't think it has anything to do with the DDP - especially since tip is no longer included. I'd guess it has more to do with TS locations being booked at a higher rate.

Just to clarify, DDP tip is not included. DDE tip is included at 18%, as are parties of 6(?) or more. An 18% tip for DDP members is suggested but is not included in your bill and does not necessarily have to be paid.

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2008, 06:11 PM
. We would check in like 10min or so before our reservations and they wouldn't seat us until on averege 5 to 15min AFTER the reservation time. They would seat people that walked up and waited but not us.......did anyone else notice this or experience this?

First, the ADR standard is within 15 minutes (after) of your time so its sounds like you were getting that so that part of the treatment sounds fair and its what we've experience on and off the DDP.

Second, it is dependent on party size to some extent. We are a party of two and many of the restaurants are based on tables for four with fewer two person tables. Since the restaurants are always fully booked they don't lik sitting a party of two at a four person table. So, We often have to wait for a two person table to open and that may be sooner or later than a 4 person. If you are more than 4 in a party, there are even fewer table arrangements that are avaialble so it can take longer for one to become available.

I don't believe it has anything to do with DDP.

SignguyTom
05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I just returned from a nice 7 day trip to WDW. Like last year's trip we got the DDP because it is very convinent and cost effective, but i noticed this year we were treated differently almost like lower class citizens. We would check in like 10min or so before our reservations and they wouldn't seat us until on averege 5 to 15min AFTER the reservation time. They would seat people that walked up and waited but not us.......did anyone else notice this or experience this? Othewise the trip was as magical as ever:cloud9:.....time to plan for next year

Remember that an ADR (Advanced Dining Request) is not exactly the same as a reservation at your local restaurant. It is more like 'Call Ahead Seating' like at Red Lobster, Chili's or Texas Roadhouse. It basically holds your place in line for a table suited to your party size. They do not stop service at an empty table and wait for you to get there. You are somewhat at the mercy of the parties of your size that have been seated before you, maybe even for a couple of hours before you arrive.

So if you have a party of 4 and were unlucky enough to have an unusually high number of parties of 4 before you take an unusually long time to finish their meals (chit-chat, drinks, visiting...etc.), you might be waiting for a while in the 'party of 4' line. Meanwhile, parties of 2 or 6 or 8 might be going through just fine. Maybe even walk-ups are getting in. Because of the high demand generated by the DDP (especially during free dining), they will not put a party of 4 at a table for 6 or 8. An ADR means that you are in line (ahead of time) for a table suited to your party size.

Throw in a server or chef calling in sick...

Joy2theworld
05-18-2008, 12:34 PM
How do you know that those that walked up and got seated before you didn't have the dining plan as well???

Young@Heart
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
As far as I know only parties of 6 & larger are required to pay 18%. Other than that it may be a "suggestion" on the check but you can leave whatever tip you like

This is correct. We are a party of five, and they will leave two suggested tip amts on our bill: 18% and 20%. HOWEVER, what we leave will be totally up to us and dependent on our service.

shellyc
05-18-2008, 03:24 PM
If you arrive early there is a chance that you will be bypassed for guests who have a earlier ADR than you. We had ADR at Coral Reef for 2:30PM, we arrived at 2:25PM and sat in the waiting area next to another party of two who had an ADR for 2:45PM, they arrived before us but we were seated before them.
We were not on the dining plan, and service was great. We even got seated at a table for 4 next to the center tank. We were a party of 2.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I have never had a problem with the service at Disney restaurants whether I had the DDP or not. We used the free DDP on our last trip and had great service. We were celebrating our anniversary and a few of the restaurants did special things. We found the servers to be friendly and helpful. One of the best servers we had was at Tony's Town Square. His name was Manny and we liked him so much we had our picture taken with him. Sorry to hear that you didn't have the same experience we did.

MushuGrl
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
We went last year during the free DDP. Our service was exceptional, with the exception of one, our waiter at Planet Hollywood. He bordered on rude.

DisneyGrrrl
05-19-2008, 01:05 PM
We were just at Disney all last week and were on DDP and didn't experience anything negative. I didn't like having to put the tip on the slip for them to take back and run, but other than that, everything was fine.

We got in to all of our ADR's either early or on time and the waitstaff was great!

sbnewbride
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Honestly, we didn't notice a lack of service at all. Now we have only been one time (a couple of months ago on our honeymoon). So I can't compare it to previous experiences on the DP, nor can I compare it to NOT having the DP. But like I said, the service was always great for us!

EmporerStitch
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
i guess the only time it was inconvient was at 50's prim time and we had a party of 4 eating around the dinner rush time..........because the rest of our experiences where great, Especially at LeCellier and Ohana, i left 20% tips on both.....come to think of it last year we had a party of 11(never again, too many people) this year it was 4......I did however like the included gratuity last year but it wasn't that bad for us this year....except at the coral reef....the suggested tips where kinda steep

SurferStitch
05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I did however like the included gratuity last year but it wasn't that bad for us this year....except at the coral reef....the suggested tips where kinda steep

Did the Coral Reef suggest more than the 18% and 20% amounts?