PDA

View Full Version : Things people say that drive me NUTZ!!!

Marker
05-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Would someone explain to me how someone can put forth more than 100% effort.

100% is ALL, it is the MAX. You can not bring me 1.5 gallons of water in a 1 gallon container.

If they indeed are somehow capable of functioning at 110% then the standard by which they calculate their available effort was flawed.

HndrdPrcnt
05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Bad day at the office????

You need a Disney vacation!!!:D

drummerboy
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Bad day at the office????

You need a Disney vacation!!!:D
Ah, but you knew where to stop. You didn't use Hndrdtnprcnt, did you? :D

SgtTigger
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
You can not bring me 1.5 gallons of water in a 1 gallon container.

Wait Marker I think I can........... If I just stuff it on the cornor over here..... hey what if I carry some in my pockets??????

wait it is running down my legs......... :mop:

let me clean this up and Ill get back to you on that one......

:D

You know I think it might be a short drive to........

:cop: :tigger:

Marker
05-16-2008, 08:12 PM
No, not a bad day at all, in fact I took the day off. Maybe the opposite problem then.... too much time on my hands. :mickey:

Ah, but you knew where to stop. You didn't use Hndrdtnprcnt, did you? :D

But that brings up another thing that drives me nuts, or at least semi-nuts. Use real words folks. I hate having to decypher cryptic code in order to translate it into English. Use words!! And, use the correct word..... as an example "they're", "there" and "their" are not the same word, and all mean different things.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the phrase "think out of the box", it's been way overused.

Also, stop with the "that's what I'm talking about". Someone can be sitting there not saying a word and see something that sparks them to shout out of blue, "THAT WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT". Excuse me, but you weren't talking about anything. Sheesh!!

But hey, if that's all that bugs me, life's pretty good.

princessjojo
05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
:notworth: I hear you. The one that gets me is when, and especially a lot of athletes are guilty of this, is saying "you know." No, I don't know, that's why I asked you to tell me about it. I hear a lot of kids saying it also and it drives me nuts.

Dracula766
05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I cringe when someone says "ATM Machine"

Wouldn't that end up being a machine that dispenses ATMs? :confused:

Jeff G
05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Use words!! And, use the correct word..... as an example "they're", "there" and "their" are not the same word, and all mean different things.

A word of caution, when you see a post by me please pass over it. I'm notorious for using the wrong word(especially were/we're). I never realized how poorly I wrote until I read a post a year or so ago by someone complaining about the wrong word selections, I looked back at a few of my posts and I realized I was very guilty of this bad habit. Since then I've made a conscious effort to correct this but I know it still happens from time to time.

PirateLover
05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Bee in your bonnet Mark? :bee:
I think you said it best yourself in this very thread:

But hey, if that's all that bugs me, life's pretty good. ;)

ytzking
05-17-2008, 11:52 AM
How about "Free Gift"?
Sorry, just my "Two Cents".

MsMin
05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
The term 110% or more is a more abstract term to suggest that the person is giving more than expected. Abstract terms are often used in lieu of wordiness and are associated with higher IQ's. (The IQ test uses abstract terms as you near the end). It is not a literal term by any means but I won't elaborate because I don't want to offend anyone.
I'm amused with your use of the term semi-nuts??? Is that like being half dead or a little pregnant? I use the term borderline psychotic but not 1/2 crazy;). I don't care if you use it --I tend to wipe my own nose here.
I have to agree, Marker you sound a little stressed:(.
Seriously? Would it really help ease your stress if I didn't use that term around here? I would give you a hug but I don't know you that well :blush:

Ian
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I've always used the "110%" to denote someone who exceeded expectations. In that sense, it's very possible to surpass 100% performance.

For example, if I give you a project on a tight deadline and you deliver a day early you exceeded expectations and thus performed at "110%". I agree it's a somewhat abstract concept, but you could put hard numbers around it if you really wanted to.

Also, 110% performance is actually accepted in some contexts. For example, power plants can operate at 110% of optimal output for short periods of time.

Mousefever
05-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Marker,

I'm certainly not saying that you don't have the right to be negative, or have things bother you, but I must admit that it's not what I'd expect from you! You're usually the guy that's telling everyone to lighten up! Given that you're not currently at DW, however, it's easy to understand how a little annoyance can sometimes seem big.:mickey:

The phrase that I love to hate is: "Alls you got to do is..."

Amy

:dory:

crazypoohbear
05-17-2008, 07:46 PM
My pet peeve is when people mispronouce words or use words that don't exist.
Xspecially when they axe you a question!
irregardless, isn't it regardless or is irregardless an irregular regardless??

Dakota Rose
05-17-2008, 10:09 PM
The thing that drives me craziest is:
Where are you AT? or What school do you go TO? Oye. It hurts my ears.

I also hate the over-use of apostrophes. For example, CD's and ATM's. No. It's CDs and ATMs.

Up here, people say "I'll borrow you my car." No, you won't. You can loan me your car.

Oh yes, and then there's "Drive safe." No, no, no. It's "drive safely."

I also hate when marketing firms turn nouns into verbs. Kinko's once had a slogan that said, "The new way to office." Um, last I checked "office" isn't something you do but a place you go.
And my last one is, "Can I ask you a question?" Well, you just did, so what's one more?

Marker
05-17-2008, 10:12 PM
a post a year or so ago by someone complaining about the wrong word selections

hmmm, wonder if that was me? :doh:

Abstract terms are often used in lieu of wordiness and are associated with higher IQ's

Or the abstract can be embellished with wordiness in an attempt to masquerade as intelligence? I work in an environment that insists on logical reasoning. Where abstract reasoning may come up with great ideas, but it takes finite logic to bring those ideas to reality. In that sort of finite environment 2 + 2 = 4, and 100% capacity is 100% capacity. Although, I will admit that there have been times when I was told I was "full of it", when in reality I could still fit some more in. :laughing:

I use the term borderline psychotic but not 1/2 crazy

I wonder if that would be considered 1/2 full, or 1/2 empty? :scratch:

I would give you a hug but I don't know you that well

But after the hug maybe you would!! :hug:

I've always used the "110%" to denote someone who exceeded expectations. In that sense, it's very possible to surpass 100% performance.

If the 110% is a measure of expectations, then as long as you can maintain a level of low expectations, it would be easy to function at 110%. :thumbsup:

You're usually the guy that's telling everyone to lighten up!
And every now and then throw in a little tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. :silly:

KineGirl
05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
The thing that drives me craziest is:
Where are you AT? or What school do you go TO? Oye. It hurts my ears.

I also hate the over-use of apostrophes. For example, CD's and ATM's. No. It's CDs and ATMs.

Up here, people say "I'll borrow you my car." No, you won't. You can loan me your car.

Oh yes, and then there's "Drive safe." No, no, no. It's "drive safely."

I also hate when marketing firms turn nouns into verbs. Kinko's once had a slogan that said, "The new way to office." Um, last I checked "office" isn't something you do but a place you go.
And my last one is, "Can I ask you a question?" Well, you just did, so what's one more?

LOL that reminded me of something my hubby and his family say all the time (theyre from Buffalo,NY)..

they "dethaw" things.

Doesnt that mean they make them frozen again? Is that even a word DETHAW??

Hopefully this doesnt bother anyone because I say it all the time...

Its all good :)

Dakota Rose
05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
LOL. Dethaw.

Let me borrow you my microwave so you can dethaw your meat. Where are you at? Give me directions and I'll drive safe.

LOL.

DisneyDudet
05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't like it when people mispronounce words (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I don't care).

Similar... not Sim-U-lar... there's no U!!

And people at work use this all the time. When we have people orienting to the unit, people will say orientating. That isn't even a word!!!

There is one woman at work that will ask the worst questions. Yes, there are such things as stupid questions! She'll ask a question, then say, "That's what I thought." Well, if you thought that, you shouldn't have asked in such a confused way. You can't hide how incompetent you are!

Right now, that is all I can come up with. I'm sure I can think of other things later!

KineGirl
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't like it when people mispronounce words (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I don't care).

Similar... not Sim-U-lar... there's no U!!

LOL then you def do not want to come to North Carolina - Home of the Twang. I embarrass myself sometimes

One time I was trying to order something over the phone and when the man asked me where I live - which is Kill Devil Hills, he kept saying "Cable Double Bills???" The more he asked me the worst my twang got :blush: My accent is alot less dramatic than the life time natives of NC but some ppl (yankees especially) sometimes I think they just say "ok" not even knowing what theyre agreeing to because they dont understand me. And its one of those things that the more you try not to twang the more you twang!!! :blush: Now to me though, a southern girl born and raised, I have a hard time with a true yankee accent like NY or Boston.

Another difference I noticed between the north and south was when I took my hubby (from NY) to get some BBQ for the first time. He kept asking me what kind of BBQ it was and for the life of me I couldnt understand what he meant "what kind". He would say "chicken?" I told him pork. He said "like pork chops". I said "nooo .. pulled pork." He had no idea. Once he got the sandwich (of course with slaw & sauce) he was officially introduced but he didnt know that in the south when you ask someone if they want BBQ - its pulled pork... at least in the Carolinas & VA. If you want TO BBQ you say "Do you want TO BBQ?" - thats cooking on the grill. LOL

And btw - its soda not pop :mickey:

kakn7294
05-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Wait Marker I think I can........... If I just stuff it on the cornor over here..... hey what if I carry some in my pockets??????

wait it is running down my legs......... :mop:

let me clean this up and Ill get back to you on that one......Okay, I know this is a bit off topic, but Bret, are you SURE that's water running down your legs?

Ian
05-18-2008, 08:01 AM
And people at work use this all the time. When we have people orienting to the unit, people will say orientating. That isn't even a word!!!Not to pick nits, but orientating is most definitely a word.

From Webster's:

orientating
adjective
positioning with respect to a reference system or determining your bearings physically or intellectually; "noticed the bee's momentary orientating pause before heading back to the hive"; "an orienting program for new employees" [syn:]

princessjojo
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
:funny:KineGirl, I know exactly what you mean!! My old boss was originally from NY, Albany actually, and used to get so upset when he would hear people say they were "fixin' to go somewhere." Then after about 5 years of living here in NC he started saying it himself. Now he actually lives in Fla. now with too many other retired relocated Yankees and speaks his native language again. How funny!

I also hate to hear people mispronounce words. I was just doing a project for school on a pretend patient. One of the issues we had to address was a legal/ethical dilemma. One of our team members would always say it was an ethnical dilemma. And that, friends, is a whole different issue. She could not get it.

KineGirl
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
:funny:KineGirl, I know exactly what you mean!! My old boss was originally from NY, Albany actually, and used to get so upset when he would hear people say they were "fixin' to go somewhere." Then after about 5 years of living here in NC he started saying it himself. Now he actually lives in Fla. now with too many other retired relocated Yankees and speaks his native language again. How funny!

ahhh FL... you mean S. NY? LOL My hubby was the same way but after 8 years in NC he's "fixin' to get ready for some BBQ y'all". His "you'se guys" is officially broken. ;)

Dakota Rose
05-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Well as long as we're talking about pronounciation, I really hate Eye-talian. Someone once said to me, "I don't really like eye-talian food." And my response was, "Well you'd probably like italian food." I mean, really, when did you last go to Eye-taly?

Oh here's another one that drives me nuts:
"Want to go with?" or "I'll go with." Ummmm....with whom? to where? Oh that one irks me.

wdwgrl377
05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
When I was growing up, in New Orleans my family always said, "OK let's go make groceries". Meaning, let's go grocery shopping. I had family from out of state, in NC, which is where i currently live, they'd get so annoyed when we'd say that. They thought that was the weirdest thing. But to me when someone gets mad, they always say, "Oh he/she's ill at the moment" I always thought that meant the person is sick, but to them they are mad!

Here we go again...
05-19-2008, 04:35 AM
When I was growing up, in New Orleans my family always said, "OK let's go make groceries". Meaning, let's go grocery shopping. I had family from out of state, in NC, which is where i currently live, they'd get so annoyed when we'd say that. They thought that was the weirdest thing. But to me when someone gets mad, they always say, "Oh he/she's ill at the moment" I always thought that meant the person is sick, but to them they are mad!

I live in Louisiana and never understood the "make groceries" thing.
How about "pick up the room"? to clean the room?

I work in a pharmacy and we always laugh when people come in and ask for the "genetic" or "geriatric" drugs instead of generic.

When I worked in photo people asked for "panisonic" instead of panoramic prints.

We never corrected anyone, we just got our laugh for the day.

ncscgirl2005
05-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I annoy DD when I say "get up under there".

Born and raised in NC-'nuff said!!!!!

MicMouse
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Thank you Dakota Rose!!!!

My in-laws say eye-talian and it drives me nuts, and its not just because I'm half Italian.

They also say soth-more instead of Sophomore, and Jolly-et instead of Joliet (IL).

Gooftroop5
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I work in a pharmacy and we always laugh when people come in and ask for the "genetic" or "geriatric" drugs instead of generic.

:funny: Brings back my days in the pharmacy. My favorite use to be when they asked for their "subscription refilled". I always wanted to ask what magazine they wanted renewed.

As for things that really get me is dh & his family say "in" instead of "un".

DizNee143
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
none of that really bothers me..there are a few random words that get me every now and then on how people say them..but i get over it real fast and not let it get to me...
im a horrible speller and im bad with grammar..language arts was not my class in school...but luckily i got by and dont have to deal with that anymore..
so if you cant handle bad spelling, abbreviations of words..slang..or horrible grammar..please skip over my post..or just dont dwell on it..:D

SBETigg
05-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I try to overlook things like grammar and spelling and phrasing.

But actually, what does get to me a little is people who consistently write O'hana or O'hana's instead of 'Ohana. It's a little thing but every time I see it, I want to say "it's not an Irish-Hawaiian pub! It's 'Ohana."

But really, I have better things to worry about and the main thing is that we're all here because we have our Disney love in common. And I'm sure I've made my share of mistakes. Like calling the castle Cinderella's Castle. I was corrected here that it is Cinderella Castle, no possessive. Who knew? Lots of people but apparently not me. Now I know. The things you learn from years of INTERCOT. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Perhaps not in the past, but today I will take the high road and not judge anyone on their grammar, spelling or speech. And just to be clear, I'd like everyone to take note that I'm doing this. ;)

Here we go again...
05-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Perhaps not in the past, but today I will take the high road and not judge anyone on their grammar, spelling or speech. And just to be clear, I'd like everyone to take note that I'm doing this. ;)

Note to self:
On May 23rd 2008 Genna actullay took the high road. Got it! :D

drummerboy
05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't get annoyed by it, but sometimes I get a kick out of peoples' interpretation of legal terms.

We often use the term 'metes and bounds' when doing property descriptions, but I've heard people as if we could do a 'leaps and bounds' description.

When I was doing some criminal law practice, there was a document called a 'detainer' that was used to bring prisoners in from out-of-county jails to the court in our county. I had a few clients ask if I could get them a 'container'. I was tempted to tell them they were already in one.

Rhetoric2000
05-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm a really frustrated pedant that tries desperately not to get upset by the little things but in those attempts only gets more so:

You know, the apostrophe issue: I never get upset by the absence of an apostrophe. If somebody writes "Lauras Books" then I don't get upset. It's the ERRONIOUS apostrophe (Laura's Book's) that gives me a chemical reaction. Even the technically acceptable but unnecessary apostrophes get on my nerves ("CD's", "The 80's").

One tiny thing that has started to infuriate me is the coining (started possibly by the Alien DVD box-set) of the word "Quadrilogy".

TETRALOGY is the word!!!! TETRALOGY!!! It's Greek you fools, not Latin!

*Gets coat*

jillluvsdisney
05-23-2008, 02:38 PM
There's man I work with who says "WHATEVER" with a very sarcastric tone when he is upset or stressed out. We work in a 911 center, so you can all just imagine how often that happens!!
One of these days, I may turn violent.:mad:

tinklover
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I can so relate to the pronunciation of words. My DBF who is from Sussex county Delaware. Uses that as an excuse when ever I correct his pronunciation of words like the dreaded 'EYE-talian" ugh. or pacific for specific. Oh and he also says ex-specially. He says it is the susex county way and I remeind him all the time you are getting ready to interview for a promotion and transfer and you are not going to be in Sussex County forever . you really need to change your habits in speech . he gets so frusterated with me when I correct him and does not understand I am only trying to help him.

joonyer
05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
One of my pet peeves is hearing people say "I COULD care less", which I hear all the time, and it always gets under my skin. I usually reply "Oh, you could? Well then why don't you?" (care less), which causes them to look at me funny because they have no idea what they have just said.

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
.... he gets so frusterated with me when I correct him and does not understand I am only trying to help him.

Oh boy... LOL Now this is a different topic altogether :funny: Alls I can say is brace yourself girl- Guys never understand when we try to "correct/help" them. Ive learned over the years - they dont want what we girls call "help" no matter how innocent and helpful we think it is - they call it nagging :mickey: Go figure! I guess its that whole men are from Mars women are from Venus thing.

By the way I like how he gets frusterated! Sorry! I couldnt resist :blush:

joonyer
05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
. . . . .By the way I like how he gets frusterated! Sorry! I couldnt resist :blush:

My wife gets "fLustrated" with me all the time!
It's a combination of Flustered and Frustrated. I'm very good at it (making her flustrated), even without trying.

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 03:53 PM
My wife gets "fLustrated" with me all the time!
It's a combination of Flustered and Frustrated. I'm very good at it (making her flustrated), even without trying.

Its probably when she is trying to "help" you and you dont listen ;) :nono:

LOL

My mom has a term Ive come to endear over the years - its called P.I.T.A.

pain in the a..

elmjimmlm
05-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Ok I have several that terms that bother me...The first is "Get Er Done" :ack: and the other is "Have a good one"...Larry the Cable Guy is funny but come on...When you go to the bank and the teller says "Have a good one" I just want to punch her...:mad:

Dakota Rose
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
At church the other night, the children's pastor said she'd "boughten" everything needed for VBS. I so wanted to raise my hand and say, "you did what?"

Oh and to whomever said they hate O'hana, I agree!

Speaking of Hawaiian, at the same VBS meeting, they have it down that the five-year-olds will be wearing Lay's. Wow. Won't it be kind of uncomfortable to wear potato chips?

pink
05-24-2008, 10:24 AM
My DBF always says "okey dokey" to everything and I can't stand it.

:mickey:

SBETigg
05-24-2008, 01:11 PM
How about spelling things wrong on purpose to be cute, like nutz? It doesn't really bother me, but my DH gets so annoyed by things like that. Toys R Us really gets him going, especially because they are marketing to kids. His parents were teachers.

Ed
05-24-2008, 04:21 PM
My mom was an English teacher, and one of her pet peeves rubbed off on me.

Example - "Do you want to go shopping with Bill and I?"

Okay... drop out the words "Bill and", and what do you have? "Do you want to go shopping with I?" :confused:

And the reverse - "Bill and me are going shopping; do you want to go?"

Again... drop the "Bill and" and change "are" to "am" - - and you've got "Me am going shopping; do you want to go?"

I hear this on television all the time, and it annoys the heck out of me! :mad:

And to answer the underlying question: No, me don't want to go shopping - me hate shopping!!! :D

;)

Magic Smiles
05-25-2008, 10:51 PM
This thread is hilarious.
Xspecially when they axe you a question!

My family always laughs when we hear the word 'axe' used for ask.

One time I was trying to order something over the phone and when the man asked me where I live - which is Kill Devil Hills, he kept saying "Cable Double Bills???" The more he asked me the worst my twang got :blush: My accent is alot less dramatic than the life time natives of NC but some ppl (yankees especially) sometimes I think they just say "ok" not even knowing what theyre agreeing to because they dont understand me. And its one of those things that the more you try not to twang the more you twang!!! :blush: Now to me though, a southern girl born and raised, I have a hard time with a true yankee accent like NY or Boston.

Another difference I noticed between the north and south was when I took my hubby (from NY) to get some BBQ for the first time. He kept asking me what kind of BBQ it was and for the life of me I couldnt understand what he meant "what kind". He would say "chicken?" I told him pork. He said "like pork chops". I said "nooo .. pulled pork." He had no idea. Once he got the sandwich (of course with slaw & sauce) he was officially introduced but he didnt know that in the south when you ask someone if they want BBQ - its pulled pork... at least in the Carolinas & VA. If you want TO BBQ you say "Do you want TO BBQ?" - thats cooking on the grill. LOL

I had tears running down my cheeks.
The phrase that drives me NUTZ is "What can I do you for?

disneydeb
05-25-2008, 11:17 PM
As we were leaving my MiL's house she called out to the driveway,"Hey, you left your 101 Damnations", while holding our children's book 101 Dalmations. :D

PirateLover
05-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Gosh, most of you could probably never make it through a full conversation with my grandfather. He pronounces "champion" as "champeen", calls his walker his "wagon," he does the eye-talian thing a lot (I do it sometimes, usually consciously to be funny or place emphasis on the word), pronounces water as "wudder" (I do this too), shops at the Ac-a-me instead of Acme, and roots for the Iggles (Eagles) among many other things I'm sure that escape my mind right now.
However the best mispronunciation probably came from my grandmother, God rest her soul. When she had to use the restroom, she used a "ter-lit.":D

At the end of the day I don't really let stuff like this bug me... about the only thing that can get to me is the abuse of popular catchphrases, for instance "Git er done" which was mentioned earlier.

KineGirl
05-26-2008, 01:45 AM
This thread is hilarious.

I had tears running down my cheeks.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Ed
05-26-2008, 07:03 AM

When somebody hits me with that, I usually reply with something like "Well, you can come over and cut my lawn" or "You can do my laundry", or "Wash my truck"..... you get the idea! :D

crazypoohbear
05-26-2008, 08:44 PM
How about when you are checking out at the grocery store and the bagger asks.
"would you like paper or plastic?"
I always respond "YES"! (of course I want paper or plastic, what other options are there)
Or when I'm at work and someone asks
"do you have a bathroom"
again YES.

Mousefever
05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
This is probably pretty nit-picky, and also more of a grammar problem, but it bothers me when people use "is" when they should say "are". For example, "There's twenty-seven ducks on the pond," instead of, "There are twenty-seven ducks on the pond." I actually sometimes catch myself making this mistake when I speak, (never when I write), but I always correct myself on the spot. My mom was an English teacher for a time, and she was a stickler for proper grammar when we were children. Ain't she proud of me now that I's all growed up! :mickey:

Amy

:dory:

Rhetoric2000
05-27-2008, 11:56 AM
I've re-read this through and it's tremendous.

I don't know why I overlooked it first time but the very first post identified a classic - anybody who claims to be putting anything more than 100% into a task has to go.

Another one that's creeping in over here but I'm not sure about the US is "The Likes of.." being used to preface a list.

Eg: "Manchester United should defeat Wigan since they have players the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Tevez"

Even worse than that is "Your Rooneys". Thus:

"Machester United should defeat Wigan since they have many good players: your Rooney''s, your Ronaldo's, your Giggses, your Tevezes"

Now THAT drives me utterly utterly nuts. Or even NUTZ.

RSGBSG2002
05-27-2008, 01:50 PM
How about when you are checking out at the grocery store and the bagger asks.
"would you like paper or plastic?"
I always respond "YES"! (of course I want paper or plastic, what other options are there)

Ok, I've given this a little thought and I can't figure it out. What's the correct way to ask which bag a customer wants in a quick and efficient manner?

crazypoohbear
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok, I've given this a little thought and I can't figure it out. What's the correct way to ask which bag a customer wants in a quick and efficient manner?
"Which would you like" or
Do you prefer paper or plastic"
"How would you like your groceries bagged"
"do you want your groceries in a paper bag"
It's kind of on the same lines as
"Can I go to the bathroom?"

DisneyDudet
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Not to pick nits, but orientating is most definitely a word.

From Webster's:

orientating
adjective
positioning with respect to a reference system or determining your bearings physically or intellectually; "noticed the bee's momentary orientating pause before heading back to the hive"; "an orienting program for new employees" [syn:]

Sorry for being stupid. They use it as a verb, not an adjective.

BronxTigger
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Don't ask. Just pick one and use it. If the customer wants the other kind they will speak up.

Dragongirlx
05-28-2008, 03:54 AM
"
"Can I go to the bathroom?"

Yes this one gets to me too.

I am quite sure you can go to the bathroom, whether or not you may go is another question.

brad192
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Two that really get me going are:

"PIN Number" - What? Your Personal Identification Number Number?

Also, the one every teenager in the US seems to constantly use - the word LIKE. "Like, I went over to Mary's house, and like, she wasn't home, so I like, got out my cell phone & like, tried to call her but I could only like, get her voicemail, so I like, gave up and like, went home". AARRRGGHHH!! :mad:

Oh, my dad used the term "unthaw" when I was a kid, and it took me years to break myself of that one.:blush:

Princess'Mom
05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
This thread has made my day! :) My DH and I 'collect' phrases like this. Every now and then on a dull day, we can have a full conversation with them all!

A couple of my all-time favorites - "Can I carry you to the store? " or "Don't forget to cut the lights off!" :laughing:

Momof2boys
05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
She'll ask a question, then say, "That's what I thought." Well, if you thought that, you shouldn't have asked in such a confused way. You can't hide how incompetent you are!

My goodness, that could be our theme here at work. I've finally started calling people on it as it drives me crazy !