PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom Musings--Tell yours, please

disneydoug
05-16-2008, 04:19 PM
If you could only share one memory or tip concerning the Magic Kingdom, what would be your favorite story to share or best tip to share.

Our favorite tip to share is to walk 'through' the stores on Main Street on the way out of the park at night and miss a bunch of the crowd.

Doug

JMTStone
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Our first trip where we stayed on site, my daughter (now 15) was sleepily sitting on my husband's lap while they played the "Goodnight Kiss" (I think that's what its called) where you hear his voice say "it all started with a mouse". I still get emotional thinking of it. Now she's 15 and our sleepy-lap days are over. But she still enjoys the world with us!

Young@Heart
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I'll never forget the first time we brought our boys to the Magic Kingdom. They were 4 and 6 at the time. We had taken the bus from POFQ, and were walking toward the entrance. Well, DS 4 has always had energy to spare, and DS 6 has always been a little more "relaxed". DS 4 was hurrying along w/ us, and DS 6 was lagging waaaay behind as usual. So we all stopped (for what seemed like an eternity) for him to catch up, and all of a sudden, DS 4 turns around and yells "Come on, Oatmeal!!!" At that moment, DS 6 was christened w/ a nickname he'll never live down. We still use it now, 8 yrs. later.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
My oldest son, now almost 11, took his first steps on Main Street, during his first trip to WDW.:cloud9:

We were waiting on the corner by Casey's for the afternoon parade to start and he walked from my husband to me.

I think about that moment every time I walk down Main Street!

tigger77
05-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, my wonderful Aunt who has been on all my WDW trips since I was 8 passed away in April,and since then I have thought about all of our wonderful family trips there and the thing I remember most is walking down main street at night shopping in the stores espcially the emporium with her!

dumbo ears
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
mine would be if you are taking a first time visitor. get there for the opining of MK and go straight over and ride HM then peter pan. That gets the best experience

DisneyBabe
05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
As a matter of fact, we are taking my best friend with us next week! I hope she has a good time, she is SO exited to go. This is our 8th time and I'm as stoked as EVER!

Gottaluvgoof
05-16-2008, 11:31 PM
If you could only share one memory or tip concerning the Magic Kingdom, what would be your favorite story to share or best tip to share.

Our favorite tip to share is to walk 'through' the stores on Main Street on the way out of the park at night and miss a bunch of the crowd.

Doug

:secret: We do this every trip. The problem is, we tend to spend too much money on the way out also. It is a great way out though. :secret:

Checkers
05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
:mickey:Plan an early morning breakfast in MK and enjoy walking down main street almost by yourself! It is great for picture taking.

JMTStone
05-17-2008, 03:42 PM
My oldest son, now almost 11, took his first steps on Main Street, during his first trip to WDW

That's fantastic!

DisneyorBust
05-17-2008, 10:22 PM
My Magic Kingdom memory stems form our first family trip to DisneyWorld in January 2001.
We passed thru the left tunnel under the train station and made our way to the begining of Main Street USA. The looks on the faces of my family was absolutely priceless, at the time my children were 10, 8 and 6, truly magical ages to be at WDW.:mickey:

wdwfansince75
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
From our first trip, we don't do everything together. We have always had a meeting point. Ours has been the lower level of the terrace, towards Tomorrowland....It started on our first trip (in 1975) when DD#2 coerced DMiL to take her on "If You Had Wings" again and again and again. The rest of us did other rides, but came back to the terrace to rendezvous.....Usually a breeze, always shady....and the rest rooms to the right of the counters are almost always empty....and since they introduced the gruesome noodle bowls, nobody goes there for the food. Even the birds that used to feast on french fries seem repulsed by the noodles.

thejens
05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I can't pick just one memory, but I can say First Rides. The first time on Space Mountain listening to my Mom screaming and the rest of us laughing. First time on EE with my sister, both very nervous on the incline!!! First TOT-wow! First Dumbo with then 2 year old who wanted to do it again and again. First Primeval Whirl with son then 8. First walk up Main Street....

sorry couldn't pick just one

maybe leaving Epcot at night and all the kids discovering the sparkling pavement...

mouselover93
05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
i got this out of a book but with rides that occasionally have the two lines take the left ( it's always shorter )

disneyboy98
05-18-2008, 11:55 PM
If you had read my trip reports from March, you know that our special memory of the MK was having my 11 month old niece meet Mickey for the first time. That was, if not, one of the most special moments we have ever shared at the MK.

JasonH
05-19-2008, 12:59 AM
My first trip to WDW was also my first trip to Florida since one set of my grandparents and a couple aunts and uncles had moved down to Lecanto, FL. It was a surprise from my parents 24 years ago. But I remember one of my uncles telling me how "scary" the Haunted Mansion was. Well at that time I was envisioning the likes of a haunted house like the one Six Flags St. Louis had at the time(it too was open the whole time the park was open, but it was a walk-through house and it was NOT for little kids). I didn't think anything more of it until it came time to actually go on HM. Needless to say I started crying and saying I didn't want to go on it to my mom. :cry: This nice lady in front of us told me it was nothing to be scared of and that it was a great ride. Eventually I calmed down and reluctantly walked through those first set of doors. Well, after going through it all and exiting the ride...I WANTED TO GO ON IT AGAIN! :funny: And since that day, HM became my all-time favorite ride. :number1:

AlliMo
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
My Magic Kingdom memory stems form our first family trip to DisneyWorld in January 2001.
We passed thru the left tunnel under the train station and made our way to the begining of Main Street USA. The looks on the faces of my family was absolutely priceless, at the time my children were 10, 8 and 6, truly magical ages to be at WDW.:mickey:

This almost made me cry. I instantly remembered my first trip with my two brothers. We were 6, 8, and 11. I can still remember walking on to main street for the first time and seeing the castle. I was in complete awe. I'll never forget that feeling!

Venus0880
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I remember being a child and of course fantasyland was the most fantastic place ever. On the Snow White ride, I used to be soooo scared, so my dad would let me hide my head under his shirt so i couldn't see or hear. Also, for some reason, I loved standing in line. My dad would always have fun games about Disney related topics and pass out mentos to us. He was very good at keeping four kids very entertained to prevent line whining. To this day, I buy mentos for DW and it brings back the best waiting in line memories. I will definitely do the same for my kids.

Now that i'm older, we have started new traditions like relaxing at Columbia Harbour House. We always find ourselves in there twice a day when we're at MK. Now, it's something we plan into our itinerary. It's never packed and is reasonable priced and you have better food options (not fried). But shhh :secret: don't tell anyone :)

Von-Drake
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I have several memories I could write here, but no so much as the very first time my son met Woody and Jessie on the Diamond Horseshoe Review. I think it is the first and only time since, he had no idea what to do. The picture is priceless, he is looking up at woody, with his mouth dropped open and a look of wonderment I cannot describe, but the picture hangs on my wall at work and helps me through the day. :mickey:

MushuGrl
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
My favorite memory..there's so many but your first trip is the most special.

I didn't take my first trip until I was 28 years old. I went with my sister, who hadn't been since the year EPCOT opened, and my best friends and their son. My sister and I have birthdays close together, so our friends told us we would have a late birthday surprise at WDW. We spent a wonderful week there, and on Friday, we got our surprise - A Family Magic Tour!

I had no idea they existed, and here I am, barking down Main Street, singing Hakuna Matata in Adventureland, laughing so hard I cried at my friend (who was the keeper of the book - it turned into Mission:Impossible when we saw a villian) then breaking line with my fellow "heros" at Small World and riding it for the very first time with Peter Pan sitting behind me. It was magic on top of magic on top of magic.

joonyer
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
The first time we took our boys to WDW (they were 6 & 9)(my DW had never been either), we arrived at our resort (All-Star Sports) about 8pm, and found out that the MK was open that night 'til midnight. The boys were so excited, we didn't even wait to unpack and caught the bus to MK, even though we had not planned to hit any parks until the next morning. We had not even looked at a times guide and knew nothing about the fireworks or parade schedules, we were just hitting attractions at random and enjoying the awe in our boys faces and comments. We found ourselves on Splash Mountain at the same time that Wishes started. :fworks:
To top it off, there was a beautiful full moon that night rising over the castle, and when we rode around the outside portions of the mountain, with the fireworks going off and the full moon overhead, and the music from the ride and Wishes, well it was just 100% pure Disney MAGIC, and even the wife and I were carried away by it all. WOW! That completely unplanned "accidental" discovery of just how magical a place that MK can be has become the essence of Disney Magic for us and our favorite Disney memory; kind of like your first love, if you know what I mean.

On every trip since we have intentionally ridden Splash Mtn. during Wishes just to recreate and relive the memory of that first truly magical experience. We may not aways get a full moon, but reliving the memory of that first Disney park magic is priceless, and worth the price of admission all by itself. I believe that is what Walt was after when he first dreamed of DisneyLand. :magic: