PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World Resort & Google Earth Team-up To Launch 3-D Park Maps

Figment!
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
It's a small world, thanks to Google Earth

By Kitty Bean Yancey
USA TODAY
May 15, 2008

Starting this month, you can tour realistic re-creations of Disney's Florida theme parks and resorts simply by clicking your computer mouse.

In a pioneering partnership aiming to go online Tuesday, Google Earth and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will make it easy to take a virtual trip to Walt Disney World's Epcot Center, Animal Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios and 22 Disney hotels and resorts.

Computer users will click on maps that show about 1,500 rides, restaurants and attractions in 3-D.
The mega-map, with interactive features, will be available via disneyworld.com/3dparks or Google Earth (earth.google.com) for free.

"It's a virtual walk-through of the whole property … the most amazing virtual tour of any place in the world," Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman Jay Rasulo says.

While Google Earth offers a growing number of 3-D images and gives bird's-eye views of theme parks, with links to information about them, the Disney project is the most ambitious and detailed 3-D production yet. It's "truly innovative and unique," says Google Earth maps director John Hanke.

Disney's Rasulo expects the map to serve as a cutting-edge trip planner ("it's one small step from actually being there") and an armchair diversion for legions of Disney World fans. Up to three-quarters of Disney World visitors are repeaters, Rasulo says; about one-third are adults. Disney does not release attendance figures.

The map began with eight photographers who canvassed every inch of Disney World for 10 days. Then their images were rendered in 3-D.

Click on Space Mountain, for instance, and you can view a video of the ride and get information such as height requirements. Put your mouse on the Grand Floridian and a video of the resort pops up. You also can check availability and rates and make a reservation.

For now, the map shows only exteriors. In the future, Web visitors can stroll into Cinderella's Castle or walk into a room at a Disney resort. Photographers are at work to map Disneyland Resort Paris (Euro Disney); other Disney properties may be next.

Disney is just one of many traveler-friendly additions to fast-growing Google Earth in recent months.

In April, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service announced the posting of its digital map of U.S. wetlands there. The information is useful to bird-watchers and fishermen, among others, says Fish & Wildlife Service spokesman Joshua Winchell.

"It's an attempt to make the data more available to (everyday) people," he says. Google Earth "is a figurative sandbox, and anyone can jump in" and play.

Jasper
05-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Cool!! I just hope my poor old computer has enough OOMPH to keep up with all the clicking I am likely to do! I also hope they have enough computing power behind the whole thing so it can keep up with what I would expect to be a whole heck of a lot of use!

ccp1
05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Wow!!! That is soooooooo cool!

DisneyCouture
05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
This looks so awesome! What a cool thing to view in between trips for a quick Disney fix.

BMan62
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Something else to get me in trouble at work!!:D

I can't wait!

GrumpyFan
05-16-2008, 03:56 PM
:thumbsup: Talk about a great use of technology! Can't wait to see it!

WDWfanatic742
05-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Very Cool :cool:

KylesMom
05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I absolutely cannot wait to see this! :cloud9:

Caroleh
05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
That's really cool!!! I can't wait. This will be great for that Disney fix!!!

Dsnygirl
05-17-2008, 02:44 AM
:mickey: I absolutely cannot wait to see this come online!! How cool will it be... I'm so excited!! :mickey:

tinkwest
05-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Anxiously awaiting the Disneyland Resort version. A very exciting addition to planning a Disney vacation or just a great source to relive times already spent at the parks.

BluewaterBrad
05-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Cant wait till Tuesday! Thanks figment!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
05-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Are we going to have to download a new version of Google Earth, or some sort of new software to get this? I already have Google Earth on my computer...

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
This is one of the most exciting developments I've read about on here. May 20th can't come fast enough.:joy::clappy:

BrerGnat
05-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

The current Google Earth maps of WDW are just not cutting it. ;)

tigmickey
05-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I just downloaded the new version of Google Earth. It is totally cool!! I won't be going down to WDW until Aug, 82 more days :D, and this is a great fix. There has to be 100 pics of Cindy's Castle from every angle and every time of day!! My DS (6) and DD (4) are going to love this...yeah, I did it for my kids...:cloud9:

magicofdisney
05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Anxiously awaiting the Disneyland Resort version. A very exciting addition to planning a Disney vacation or just a great source to relive times already spent at the parks.
I can't wait for this! I've never been to DLR and this will be so cool to compare the two. :mickey:

goofy for pluto
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
SO COOL!!!! :woohoo:
Can't wait to check it out! :mickey3: :minnie:

DisneyWizard
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm excited about this! Walt Disney World Explorer 2008. ;)

Figment!
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
How do I access the 3D images? I went to disneyworld.com/3dparks, but it just took me to Disney World's main page. It doesn't appear that the service has launched yet.

Check back at that address later today ...

SpecJoe Magic
05-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I deleted the post that you quoted before I saw your reply because I realized the answer myself after seeing 3d images elsewhere.

WDWfanatic742
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Walt Disney World in 3-D Official Site (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/special/flashPages/index?id=GoogleEarthPage&CMP=OTC-3dparksVanity)

Looks like so far they are still testing and trying things out. Part of Italy and the Swan and Dolphin Hotels look to be the two only things in 3-D so far on Google Earth. The Swan and Dolphin looks impressive though...

big blue and hairy
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
It must have been a short test. There is nothinng but a coming soon message there now.

:sulley:

WDWfanatic742
05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry if my post seemed a little vague. The two 3-D buildings are already on Google Earth with the new version. The official site as far as I know hasn't changed from that coming soon message yet.

DizneyFreak2002
05-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry if my post seemed a little vague. The two 3-D buildings are already on Google Earth with the new version. The official site as far as I know hasn't changed from that coming soon message yet.

I am not getting 3D images of the buildings and I have 4.3...

DisneyFanaticDargon
05-20-2008, 07:16 PM

If you're referring to the 3D swan and dolphin as well as the 3D Cinderella Castle, those have been there for a while.

WDWfanatic742
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Ok, so Swan & Dolphin was there before today and then the Italy part seems to be a user created design and not a model by Google or Disney. I never had Google Earth before today, so I had no idea the S&D was there before today and still trying to figure the settings out.

I am not getting 3D images of the buildings and I have 4.3...

Only thing I can think of is checking if you have 3D Building's on or not.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
:cool: Sounds like that is going to be great!

GrumpyFan
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping to find it up and running today. Sounds like a clear case of marketing over-selling the software before it's ready. Or, maybe they decided to save it for tomorrow so they can say they're replacing VMK, with VWDW (Virtual Walt Disney World).

vizsla
05-21-2008, 05:23 AM
This will be very cool. I can't wait to se it.

WDWfanatic742
06-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Just as a head's up, this launched tonight and is really cool :thumbsup:

What I found was funny: http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9235/gecontemporarydt9.jpg

Notice how the north garden wing is not in 3-D :D

SFTrny
06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I checked it out this morning. It's cool, but uses a LOT of resources. I checked and Google Earth was using up 1.3G of memory to run this. Navigation can be a little choppy. Has anyone ever tried using a joystick for this?

GrumpyFan
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I spent a little time playing with it this morning, and it's quite cool! However, as pointed out, it is very demanding on your computer. I've got a Dual Processor with 2g of memory, and it was still choppy and slow at times.

WDWfanatic742
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
For some reason it is alot more laggy for me then it was this morning. Could be that alot more people are using GE at the same time :confused:

Dsnygirl
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
:( I can't get it to work at all... I have the latest version, I've got the "golden mickey ears" and I'm clicking on the "see WDW in 3D" icon... but then nothing happens. Anyone else? Our computer is a dinosaur, and it's running very hard when I've got Google open... maybe it just can't handle it? :(

Jeff G
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I was just checking it out and it looks pretty awesome:thumbsup:, for that matter all of Google Earth looks awesome with the many new additions. I was only on for a few minutes and it was working with very little lag. Hopefully my home internet problems are resolved so I can tinker with this later tonight.

Bobby T
06-06-2008, 01:54 AM
I haven't used GE very frequently until they launched the Disney Parks in 3D, but I am also seeing large memory usage in using the app. Perhaps Google optimized this for Macs. :D

brownie
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
:( I can't get it to work at all... I have the latest version, I've got the "golden mickey ears" and I'm clicking on the "see WDW in 3D" icon... but then nothing happens. Anyone else? Our computer is a dinosaur, and it's running very hard when I've got Google open... maybe it just can't handle it? :(

I'm having the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rodders
06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't really have anything to add but I would point out that it was choppy on my system with 3Gb RAM and a Core2 Quad processor. I'll have to see how it compares at home when I get it on a better Internet connection.

Stu29573
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I can't get it to work......:confused:

Rodders
06-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I just switched it from Direct X mode to Open GL and experienced a significant improvement in performance. Maybe this will help some people to get it going?

Young@Heart
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I tried this last night and didn't get any of the new features. :( Will I have to download google earth again? I downloaded it about 3 months ago.

brownie
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I tried this last night and didn't get any of the new features. :( Will I have to download google earth again? I downloaded it about 3 months ago.

I think there's probably been a version released in that time; you need version 4.3.

For those of us having trouble: after you click on the button to see Walt Disney World in 3D, zoom all the way in to eye level. Then use the navigation controls on the right hand side of your window (they'll show up when you mouse over them) to move around. You can navigate your way to the buildings. I found this on a blog post and it worked for me. I think the only thing the button does is check the box for 3-D Buildings on your layers.

Marceline
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Woweee, I just discovered this by accident lastnight. I downloaded GE just for flying over WDW and dreamin' and plannin' and noticed the clickable Mickey-heads. I added the 3D layer but didn't realize what it could do until i went in for an extreme close up of AK and realized......I am landing at the front gate and floating through the turnstiles!!!!!!:jaw::yay:

You kinda have to be patient with it and let the buildings render for a few seconds, but WOW, how fun!!!!

Made me think that there needs to be a PC and/or video game that is just a giant interactive walk-thru/ride-thru of the resorts and parks in nice high-res cgi. But then my DH remarked that we'd have no reason to really go then. Yeah right....hahaha.....hrmmmm.:laughing: