PDA

View Full Version : Class choices

DisneyTwirler13!
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
One of my friends is terribly challenged over a class decision. She is younger than I, and is currently in algebra, with a C as her grade. She is debating over whether or not to repeat algebra, and raise her official grade to an A (she is in the 8th grade, and taking algebra as a high school credit), or to just move on to geometry. She understands most of the material, but the teacher's teaching style is one that my friend does not do well with. She is pretty sure that she could do well in geometry if the teacher has a different teaching style, but is wondering if she knows the material well enough to advance on to geometry.
I've tried to help her, but decided I need more opinions.
What do you all think? All opinions welcome!

kaerbear178
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't move on to a harder math class if she isn't sure that she is comfortable with the material. If she thinks she can raise her grade to an A then maybe taking the class again is the better option. Unfortunately math just keeps getting harder and harder and if you miss out on something in a previous class it may be hard to catch up in the future. Another option may be working with a tutor over the summer to make sure that she is ready for geometry.

TiggeRia
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Geometry is a completely different form of math, and if I recall correctly did not have much to do with algebra. I struggled a bit in algebra but had a 100 average in my geometry class. And once she moves onto Algebra 2, they will do a basic review of Algebra 1, so she should be ok. But it really all comes down to what she is comfortable doing. She shouldn't worry about understanding geometry, though, just because she is having trouble with algebra.

SBETigg
05-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm with Ria. She has to be comfortable with whatever she decides, but I think she can safely proceed to geometry instead of repeating algebra if that's what she wants to do. Talking to her teacher and the guidance counselor may help in making the decision.

DisneyTwirler13!
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks SO much for all your advice! I talked with my friend, and she knows the material, it's the teachers style that is the problem. So, thanks! :number1:

Speedy1998
05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
DW is a highschool Geometry teacher. She says your friend should repeat algebra. She says much of the geometry has algebra integrated into it.

She also said in her School District your friend would not have the choice. Here an eight grader has to get at least a B to earn the high school credit.

Jeff
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
High School Guidance Counselor here:
I would recommend repeating Algebra as long as:
1. the 8th grade mark is replaced and removed from her transcript.
2. Repeating does not hold her back from getting to the the level of math she had planned on in HS. Will repeating keep her from getting to Pre Calc or Calc? If so, she may want to move ahead.

Overall, I agree with the math teacher who posted above, it's probably best to repeat and have a sound and secure knowledge base.

MsMin
05-16-2008, 11:10 AM
My dd took French !,Earth Science and Algebra as an 8th grader and here you had to have an A or B to earn the credit too. HOWEVER, the grade does not appear on her HS transcript.. it's only marked as pass or fail so that the grade does not effect the HS grades since it was earned before HS.
Honestly, part of school is adapting to different teaching styles --- when they look at your transcript they don't care how much you like or didn't like the teacher's style so it may be a good lesson to repeat it. I do recommend she ask the HS counselor, they should have an orientation before starting. So much changes between schools and districts.

Disney Doll
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Geometry and Algebra are very different. I've seen students who struggle with Algebra really excel at Geometry so I think she would be okay going on to Geometry. However, will she eventually take Algebra II or Calculus? I'm a college advisor and I always recommend that students take a math class every year in high school even if it isn't required. Math is a skill and just like anything, you use it or you loose it. Most likely your friend will be taking Algebra in college so it is important that she really gets it. If she's not sure that she really has a good handle on all the material then I think it's best to play it safe and repeat the class.