PDA

View Full Version : Do I REALLY need ADR's?

tss22
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi all - i'm new here so be gentle and hopefully you can help.

Been to disney many times, but rarely ate in the parks (i'm cheap!). We are going this September on the free DDP. There will be 5 in my party - 3 adults, a 3 year old, and an 18 month old. I've picked out a number of restaurants I think we want to eat at, but with the kids, I'm really having trouble guessing where we will be and when they will be hungry so I'm having trouble deciding if and how to make ADR's. Anyway, here are the restaurants I am considering and I want to know if you think I really need an ADR (A - well in advance / make it now, B - day before, C - a couple hours before, D - just walk up and you'll be seated in 10 minutes or less).

My travel dates are Mon, Sep 8 - Sat, Sep 13:

Restaurants under consideration (all for dinner):
Le Celier
Corral Reef
Crystal Palace
Tusker House
Chef Mickeys
Mama Melrose (fantasmic dinner plan)

While I'm asking questions - 2 more:

I noted that animal Kingdome closes at 5 p.m. during my stay. What time would Tusker house be open until under those conditions?

2. With my kids, I'd prefer not to get in line for Fantasmic and get seeting 1/2 hour or more ahead of time and try to keep them entertained. At this time of year, do I need the Fantasmic dinner package to be able to walk up "last minute" or will the crowds be low enough that I can do this without the dinner package?

EvilQueen2006
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I would reccommend making the ADR's and then if your plans change and you have to cancel you can. Some of the places you mention are difficult to get ADR's for, let alone walk-ins. At least if you have the ADR's you won't be caught hungry.

wendy*darling
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi all - i'm new here so be gentle and hopefully you can help.

Been to disney many times, but rarely ate in the parks (i'm cheap!). We are going this September on the free DDP. There will be 5 in my party - 3 adults, a 3 year old, and an 18 month old. I've picked out a number of restaurants I think we want to eat at, but with the kids, I'm really having trouble guessing where we will be and when they will be hungry so I'm having trouble deciding if and how to make ADR's. Anyway, here are the restaurants I am considering and I want to know if you think I really need an ADR (A - well in advance / make it now, B - day before, C - a couple hours before, D - just walk up and you'll be seated in 10 minutes or less).

My travel dates are Mon, Sep 8 - Sat, Sep 13:

First of all- Welcome to INTERCOT!! :mickey:

I will be gentle, but I am guessing you are not going to like my answers. You NEED to have ADRs for your trip. September is not necessarily a crowded time- which is why Disney offers the Free DDP at this time. So- virtually EVERYONE there will be on the Free DDP and attempting to get every last penny's worth out of it! The table service restaurants will be very busy!
In April, I heard Le Cellier was already booked for dinner every single day in September. :eek2:
So- with that in mind- I think you have to approach this trip differently than your past trips. Veterans or not- you really have to have a plan this time- especially with young kids.

Restaurants under consideration (all for dinner):
Le Cellier- Coral Reef
Crystal Palace
Tusker House
Chef Mickeys
Mama Melrose (fantasmic dinner plan)

My response to ALL of your choices is:
A- if that's even possible at this point
You have some excellent- but VERY popular choices. I would say get on the phone right now and see what is still available during your dates. I would take what's available and build your schedule around that.

While I'm asking questions - 2 more:

I noted that animal Kingdome closes at 5 p.m. during my stay. What time would Tusker house be open until under those conditions?
I just called WDW Dine to ask your question. They said the latest dinner seating time is 5:00 when the park closes at 5:00pm.

2. With my kids, I'd prefer not to get in line for Fantasmic and get seeting 1/2 hour or more ahead of time and try to keep them entertained. At this time of year, do I need the Fantasmic dinner package to be able to walk up "last minute" or will the crowds be low enough that I can do this without the dinner package?
One thing to realize is that WITH the Fantasmic Dinner Package, you need to line up at least 30 minutes before at the special gate.
If you DO NOT have the Fantasmic Dinner Package- you need to line up 1+ hours in advance.
I think the Dinner Package is definitely worth it.

Now- if you are dead set against making ADRs, then be prepared and comfortable with the idea that you will NOT be able to get any TS restaurants while you are there, and may end up using those TS credits for counter service meals. But, since it's all free anyway- that may not be so bad after all.

Hope that helps! And feel free to ask more questions as you make your plans.

chelly4568
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
If you stay at the Saratoga Spring Resort at Walt Disney World, There is a place call the Artists Pallete they have really good food!!

BluewaterBrad
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
YES!! ADRs!! Welcome!!:mickey:

Mousemates
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
The answer to your question is Yes...(as you will likely see from most of the answers you get). the reality is that during busy times of the year, they are the only way to insure a table service dining experience. For example, Last year on the eve of news eve there were zero openings for any restaurant at Epcot.

Bethis26fan
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes you do, we only got a lunch ADR for Le Cellier for our sept trip and the only dinner at chef mickeys was for 8:55 so we didn't get that. So I would say try to get them. We are still calling about once a week hoping for someone cancels their chef mickeys so we can get in for dinner on our arrival day.

Bethis26fan
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
OH and welcome to Intercot. I have got tons of great info here. :rocks:

Polynesian Dweller
05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
:welcome:
Both the free dining plan and the regular dining plan have changed everything at WDW. It doesn't seem to matter what time of year, if you want table service you have to make ADRs. Wish it wasn't so but that's been the impact of the program.

Natazu
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

Le Celier - Must have ADR
Corral Reef - Must have ADR for dinner
Crystal Palace - Must have ADR
Tusker House - not enough data yet but since it's in a park, you will probably need and ADR
Chef Mickeys - Must have ADR

Tusker House closes when the park closes except for Extra Magic Hours nights.

This may help a little...
Jym's Top-7 Best WDW Restaurants to get a Last Minute ADR During Free Dining:
7. Turf Club
6. Nine Dragons
5. Garden Grill
4. Olivia’s
3. Grand Floridian Café
2. Kona Café
1. Wolfgang Puck Café

NJ Camper
05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
we went in early Nov last year which is suppose to be a slow time of year with out adr's all you could get was late night ressies or some nights you couldn't find any we ended up either doing counter service or going off property it seems like whenever you go you will need adr's or prepare to eat counter or off property we use to be able to do walk in's in FW but had nights where they were booked for the night if you can adr's is the way to go good luck

HndrdPrcnt
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
First of all, WELCOME TO INTERCOT!!

We, too, are planning a trip to WDW for the Sept Free Dining offer. I can tell you that I am having to take times that I would not necessarily eat just to get an ADR. I can also tell you that dinner at LeCellier is out for the month of Sept (at least during our stay).

Luckily, I had already made most of my ADRs when we first planned the trip, but was now just looking to refine our choices. Looks like we will be sticking with the original plan.

All is not lost though as people do cancel their ADRs (especially at restaurants that you have to put down a credit card when you make your ressies - none of which you were wanting to eat at). However, all I would suggest is to call now and get the ressies that you can get. Then, call back and check to see if anyone has cancelled every few days.

Best of luck!!:thumbsup:

satchel01
05-15-2008, 09:09 AM
It's very possible that Coral Reef is out for dinner also. I'm going in Sept...booked my ADR's several weeks ago and had to settle for a lunch there (we loved it so much last time). It's really a bummer because we too wanted LeCellier (fiance is from Canada & this is our honeymoon).
I'd get on that phone now!! Good luck!!

cal5755
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
WELCOME!!!!

Like everyone else here I STRONGLY suggest calling to make ADR's now. I called at exactly 180 days for mine and could not get Le Cellier until the end of the trip as it was already booked.

Good Luck and I hope you have a great trip!

RockinRollerMom
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM

I too strongly reccomend making ADR's. You will be glad that you did. Like other posters have said you may have problems with some of your picks. If you get stuck lean on your friends here at intercot for help with suggestions. Off the top of my head, some of the restaurants that I like that are a little easier to get into are Kona, Grand Floridian Cafe, and Cape May Clambake buffet. Good Luck!

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM

I would say yes! Last year when we went in Sept I tried calling in May and couldn't get reservations for some restaurants. We did see some people being told that they couldn't get into the restaurant because they didn't have ADRs and they were all booked up.

For my Oct trip this year I called at the 180 day mark and still couldn't get anything but lunch at Le Cellier.

Good Luck!

KylesMom
05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

As everyone has mentioned, it looks like you have "Type A" restaurants listed here where you should call now & see what's available. You may need to "tweek" your list based on current bookings. :mickey:

tss22
05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. As an update, I was at least able to make the following 3 reservations:

9/8 Corral Reef 4:30
9/9 Tusker House 4:50
9/10 Crystal Palace 6:50

so all is not lost, though I couldn't get Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, or Mama Melrose. Now I just need to find 2 more...

Thanks again

EJS-Houston
05-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. As an update, I was at least able to make the following 3 reservations:

so all is not lost, though I couldn't get Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, or Mama Melrose. Now I just need to find 2 more...

Thanks again

I thought I'd weigh in with a different perspective. As much as I'd like to be able to eat at certain restaurants throughout my WDW stays, as someone who is very planned out in my personal and professional lives I much prefer to just "wing it" when I'm on vacation and not be locked into a schedule. You can do that WDW, so long as you're flexible about where you eat and eat at off-peak hours. At WDW I like to just eat when I get hungry and see what's around wherever I am at the time...so I've eaten at Mama Melrose's the last two times I was there without reservations at around 4:30/5 p.m. (both times off-season). For those places where I really want to make sure I get to eat, I'll make 2 or 3 reservations, and the rest of the time I get to be spontaneous. Just thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration.

Enjoy yourself!

Jared
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks again
Definitely consider Jym's list. Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Kona Cafe and Grand Floridian Cafe are all delicious and relatively unnoticed.

Good thing you posted today. If you had waited too much longer, you would have been left with tons of credits and few opportunities to use them.

Good luck!

:tasty:

disneyfan328
05-16-2008, 11:53 AM
we went on DDP last September and just like everyone else I will tell you that without an ADR at most places you are going to be out of luck. Even at the lesser popular places people were being turned away left and right when we were there. What happens is those that don't make reservations get down there and find that they need them and go to guest services and take whatever they can get. We saw so sooo many mad people but what can you do.

I will also say this. if you have extra TS left at the end they were allowing you to trade them in for a counter service and some type of gift ( pins or a hat or something I think it was?) not sure if this is really worth it or not but rather than waste the credit its better than nothing. Disney will try to get you in somewhere but there are no guarnatees. I am also sending you a Pm. good luck regardless. you will have a great time!!!

aurorafan
05-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I have to agree with the Kona Cafe recomendation--my trip in Feb. during President's Day week was planned only 2 weeks in advance, so when I called for ADR's to see what would stick I wasn't expecting much. I was able to get Kona and Tutto Italia (in Epcot), both at decent times :). I had an excellent Filet at Kona--we're going back in June and I can't wait!

Pirate Granny
05-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Just one word of caution...most places will not accept the TS to be used at a CS...so, if you want to eat...make sure to make those last two ADR's...consider a brunch type breakfast w/Characters or a Character lunch...they are fun even for adults...
:pirate:

LudwigVonDrake
05-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Line up your ADRs ASAP! You don't want to be shut out of a restaurant that you really want to eat at :smickey: