PDA

View Full Version : Rant warning----Rumors have it, here we go again.

Marker
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
The rumors are starting again. We could be looking at another round of lay-offs. Sure, it's all rumor at this point but based on the last few years, we wouldn't be a bit surprised.

So how many employees can they actually get rid of and continue to function?

And what is truly maddening, our former CEO, who contributed in getting us in this situate was reportedly paid $20+ million (some reports are even higher) to leave AND around $1 million a year FOR LIFE. Meanwhile, what do the rest of us get for our efforts.... nothing, no raise, no bonus, and more predicted lay-offs.

I must be more insane than I think.

Jeff G
05-14-2008, 10:36 AM
It seems like just yesterday you were sweating out a round of lay-offs, obviously there is not a lot of stability in the telecommunications sector. We'll keep you in our prayers hoping things work out for your best interest this time around.

Terra
05-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you for sure!
Sadly nothing is too secure at all right now!
Even my DH who is an Exceptional Student Educator in our school district is now officially "displaced" for the next school year. No jobs are guaranteed. He gets first choice as to schools to apply but it sure doesn't mean that he's hired.

It's a scary time!

Gooftroop5
05-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Good luck. I know what you mean about the CEO's getting compensated for life with what could keep a bunch of lower end people in work for a few years. They had a change of command a few years back at dh's workplace. I was actually working there at the time. I was laid off with nothing.(I was a temp it wouldn't have been much better for dh if he got laid off). My whole department was desecrated. The Vice presidents that they laid off just before me they got golden umbrellas. They never have to work again if they don't want to.

They've been threaten at dh's office but nothing seems to come of it. Which is good (dh still has a job) but hurts morale because everyone sits around for the month it is suppose to happen then nothing happens. No one is very happy & productivity is down. Especially in dh's department.

conorsmom2000
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this constant stress! I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers that things work out. And you are not alone - my company got bought out recently and though we've been told no one "should" lose their job, my work has all but disappeared - it's rare to get an email from anyone these days and that has me scared. This is coming just as my husband will be losing his job - he is a Union Electrician who's current job is ending in late July. The contractor he's with has no work for him, so it's back to the Union Hall, where there are 200 other people out of work. It's just a tough time all around right now. :( Best of luck, Marker!

kaerbear178
05-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat as well working in the building industry. We just had a round of layoffs--it skipped over my small branch thankfully. Then we got a letter in the mail saying that we shouldn't have anymore layoffs but they can't guarantee anything. No raises for us either. Now all of the employees who work in the warehouse end of my co lost all of their overtime which means a loss of $600per month. There are a lot of people that I work with that are really hurting.

Kairi_7378
05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
It seems like you just went though this! I will keep you in my thoughts. Please let us know how you make out. I got downsized in April and it was a total shock... I think it would be worse in your situation, waiting to see what they decide. I am so with you on the CEO sentiments. Apparently my old company's first reaction was to let people go. If things don't pick up in the summer, some of the stockholders will get SMALLER bonuses. Those bonuses could have paid our salary for a few more months! Sorry for the rant. I feel for you and wish you luck as you deal with this situation again.

Ian
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
As someone in the mortgage sector, for whom layoffs are a constant worry, I feel for you Marker.

I hope you survive this round (if it materializes) as you have the previous ones.