PDA

View Full Version : TSM or Soarin'

Lightning McQueen
05-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Both are new attractions at WDW. Both on the same scale. Both highly touted. Both combine screen and ride technology.

So, which do you like more? (I know it's very early in the game for TSM :)

biodtl
05-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Well - I haven't tried TSM yet, and I am looking forward to it. That said, I can't imagine I'll like it better than Soarin. TSM looks really fun and enjoyable, but Soarin is exhilarating and breathtaking.

SBETigg
05-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Toy Story Mania? It really doesn't seem at all like the same kind of ride as Soarin' even if they share similar elements. It seems more like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin for comparison purposes, doesn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.

I haven't tried Toy Story Mania yet. I do love Soarin' and don't think it will rate ahead of Soarin' for me.

cal5755
05-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't think most of us have tried TSM. I can not see me making it above Soaring on my favorites list though. I can't wait to test it out though... I am certain the kids are going to LOVE it...

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-14-2008, 11:50 AM
From what I've seen on youtube, the only thing TSM will beat Soarin' at is it's queue area.

disney07
05-14-2008, 07:21 PM
From what I've seen on youtube, the only thing TSM will beat Soarin' at is it's queue area.

Exactly. TSM seems like a watered down Buzz. I was expecting something like spiderman or MIB over at Universal.

Soarin' rocks by the way. I would love to see them change the scenery to something new before the next time i go there.

joelkfla
05-14-2008, 08:32 PM

I don't think you've been on Soarin' since they added the interactive crowd games to the queue.

I have been on Toy Story Mania, and it's a pleasant experience. Soarin' is a must-see.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think you've been on Soarin' since they added the interactive crowd games to the queue.

I have been on Toy Story Mania, and it's a pleasant experience. Soarin' is a must-see.I was last there in Fall of 2006. You're not counting the multiple choice quizzes on the nature scene photos as "interactive crowd games" are you? ;)

joanna71985
05-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I haven't ridden TSM yet. That being said, I think I will be putting it before Soarin.

cal5755
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
I was last there in Fall of 2006. You're not counting the multiple choice quizzes on the nature scene photos as "interactive crowd games" are you? ;)

I am not trying to step on toes answering this but in September of 07 there were interactive games on the screens aside from multiple choice questions. People (as a group) in line were trying to build things and play games on the 3 screens using heat/motion sensor. It was pretty fun watching everyone jump up and down and throw hands up in the air etc. Made the wait go by A LOT faster :mickey:

bruin1344
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
never tried TSM, tough to match up with soarin, soarin is a great ride, too bad the waits are always ridiculous

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure anything could beat the experience of Soarin' (all thrill rides aside). Its an amazing adventure that Disney captures perfectly for all of its guests!

Chris :hatter:

big blue and hairy
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
TSM seems like a watered down Buzz.

Uuuuuuuhhhhh......no. TSM is head and shoulders above Buzz. The effects are better, you can actually see what you've hit and it's a lot more fun.

That said, I can't really rate TSM against Soarin', they're completely different.

:sulley:

snerd475
05-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I am not trying to step on toes answering this but in September of 07 there were interactive games on the screens aside from multiple choice questions. People (as a group) in line were trying to build things and play games on the 3 screens using heat/motion sensor. It was pretty fun watching everyone jump up and down and throw hands up in the air etc. Made the wait go by A LOT faster :mickey:

Yep, we saw it, too, in Sept. It was called "Mash the Mudballs". My daughter wanted to wait in the standby line just to play it again! Yikes! I opted for the FP the 2nd time around anyway!

And you're not stepping on toes. We like to have info here! Feel free to chime in.

joelkfla
05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I was last there in Fall of 2006. You're not counting the multiple choice quizzes on the nature scene photos as "interactive crowd games" are you? ;)
Nope -- like others have answered, the queue now has a series of games on those screens that react to crowd movements, like swaying and arm movements. Some are batting around things like balloons and beachballs; others are building up things, similar to terra-forming in the old Sims computer games. The first time I played them, I had my toughest workout in years from all the jumping around and waving.:mickey:

dizknee531
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Love Soarin'...We always fastpass it when we arrive in the park, they go quickly for the day. :mickey:

RAIDER
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I havent tried TSM but as SOARIN is my favorite ride anyway in the whole of WDW its going to take alot to beat it .:thumbsup:

thejens
05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I haven't tried TSM yet and Love Soaring, but I must say isn't it genius that Disney is actually making me regret getting a fast pass because I am worrying about what I will miss in line! GENIUS!!!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm with most of the other posters. I have not ridden Toy Story Mania yet, but I will in 16 days!! I can't imagine it will top, or come close to, Soarin for me.:)

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM

Nope -- like others have answered, the queue now has a series of games on those screens that react to crowd movements, like swaying and arm movements. Some are batting around things like balloons and beachballs; others are building up things, similar to terra-forming in the old Sims computer games. The first time I played them, I had my toughest workout in years from all the jumping around and waving.:mickey:Thanks for the update. I appreciate the info.

Imagineer1981
05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
any ride will beat Soarin' for me...sorry just don't like it

joanna71985
05-24-2008, 05:52 AM
I just rode TSM yesterday. It definitely passes Soarin in my book. It is awsome! Rode it 6 times (5 in a row).

Capt. Sparrow
05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Toy Story Mania is a fun ride, however, in my opinion it does not give me the same feeling as Soarin'. Soarin' really gives me that Disney feeling for some reason when I'm at WDW, maybe bc its always the first ride that we visit!:mickey: