PDA

View Full Version : Best Food at the Poly?

thejens
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
We are staying at the Poly for the first time in a couple of weeks. We've been to Ohana and will go again. We also have plans for Kona and will probably eat/snack at Captain Cooks (I think that is the name of the counter service?) What are the best things to order? Do they have Dole Whip floats or just the whips? Is there food at the outdoor bar? I'd love any tips on best snacks, foods, drinks to order at the Poly. Thanks! :marg:

Mickey 101
05-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Lapu Lapu! :papple:

AHOTE
05-14-2008, 12:54 AM
:lei: We did Kona for the first time last year and we added it on our ADR's for November. We found the food to be superb as was the service. The crab cake appetizer is great. The Shrimp & Scallop, and Prime Rib entres were super and the wine pairings were a good match to the meal. If you enjoy wine with your meal they have a good wine list so there's sure to be something there you'll enjoy. :wine: Their specialty drinks are good too. They do have Smoothies :papple: and Pirate Punch. Can't tell you about the CS menus or the snacks available at the Poly.

HndrdPrcnt
05-14-2008, 01:19 AM
I have not tried it yet myself, however, I constantly read rave reviews of the Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe' for breakfast. We have reservations for Kona for breakfast for our next trip to give it a try!!:thumbsup:

Natazu
05-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Jym's Top-7 Best Things at Kona:
7. Sticky Wings
6. Lump Crab Cakes
5. Tuna Oscar
4. Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop
3. Braised Pork Belly Salad
2. Pot Stickers
1. Barbecued Pork Lettuce Wraps

mouseketeer mom
05-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I would go to Kona's for the bread and butter alone. They serve this bread on the table that is as light as a marshmallow and the butter has pineapple and macadamia nuts in it. :cloud9:

Mousemates
05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Sticky Wings are to die for

TexasPrincessAurora
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Best breakfast in all of WDW...Tonga Toast and a pressed pot of Kona Coffee at the Kona Cafe!

TheMartellFamily
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I 2nd the Lapu Lapu. There are so many good things there that I can not pick just one. We are trying for the 1st time Kona cafe for dinner this next vaction for our group. Our favorite meal is at O'hana's for dinner so you can say that is a fav of our too. Man there is just so much so I said these two.

Polynesian Dweller
05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
For breakfast, nothing better than Tonga Toast. Its worth a trip to WDW just for that.

For dinner, lump crab cakes or sticky wings for appetizer and you don't really go wrong with any entree though the shrimp and scallops or the pomegranate barebcued pork chops are always winners for me.

elmjimmlm
05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Kona Cafe is on the top of our list this year...With all of the good reviews I figure we cant go wrong...:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
A dole whip while watching Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant.

As far as I know they do not have dole whip floats at Capt'n Cooks.

You could also substitute a Lapu Lapu on the beach while watching wishes.......I think the two are interchangeable.

Aggie97
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Everyone has had great suggestions on what to eat at Kona Cafe.

Captain Cook's also serves Tonga Toast for breakfast! (YUM)

I've enjoyed their Hawaiian flatbread and multigrain turkey club sandwich for lunch or dinner.

They do not have Dole Whip floats, though.

:mickey:

thejens
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I'm suddenly starving. So I am thinking I'll share appetizers of crab cake and sticky wings, go for the shrimp and scallops, wine pairings, ... Can anyone tell me anything more about Captain Cooks? I am excited they have Tonga Toast. Is it the same as what they have at Kona? What kinds of food do they have at Dinner time at Captain Cooks? How late are they open? On our first night we hope to get there by 8:00 p.m. I am thinking we'll grab a bite at CC then a Lapu Lapu and head to the beach for the water pageant and wishes. Aaahh...Just 10 more days!!!!

Clotho
05-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Captain Cook's is open all de time! It's a 24 hour quick service location. I would plan to grab it and go someplace else to eat if you are going to try to grab breakfast. It gets hairy in there at peak times--it's small.

I am sorry to poo-pooh the Tonga Toast, but mine was not good. It was really dry, overly sweet, and the stuffing was right in the very center and not spread throughout, so I only got a couple bites of the filling, and the rest was just rather plain, dry bread coated in sugar. I did not like it at all. :(

I can concur with the Lapu Lapu, though. YUMMMM!

IloveDisney71
05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I recommend the Lapu Lapu:papple:, a Dole Whip, Tonga Toast, and just about everything on the 'Ohana menu ( I heard they have taken the potatoes of the menu - those were delicious!:().

LandFan
05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Sticky wings, beef teriyaki and their pina coladas (they make real ones - not the yucky mix kind!!)

Yum!

bc002k
05-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Tonga Toast (Kona Cafe/Cap'n Cooks) - I thought it lived up to the hype. I had it from Cap'n Cooks; I'm assuming it tastes the same as getting it at Kona Cafe. Probably the most unhealthy thing I've ever eaten for breakfast.

Chocolate Banana Creme Brulee (Kona Cafe) - Great presentation as well. I like the fact that Kona has all their desserts on display.

I liked Cap'n Cooks touch screen ordering, but it seems like the more expensive the hotel, the smaller the food court!

Clay Ransone
05-16-2008, 09:24 AM
I really dig the chicken sandwich at Cap'n Cooks. It has a nice teriyaki glaze and I think a pineapple ring. I had it the first time when I was a kid and stayed at the Poly. I go back each visit for one now.

thejens
05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Yum...Just one more week and I'll be there with a Lapu Lapu watching wishes. Oh, if I could only fast forward time!!!

Jared
05-16-2008, 02:41 PM
The table service restaurants at Disney's Polynesian Resort are two of my favorite places, and my family is eating at both during our trip next weekend.

I always order the exact same dinner at Kona Cafe: chicken wings and crab cakes to start, shrimp and scallops for my entree. I always top off the meal with the Kiauea torte, but all the desserts are divine.

For a basic hotel counter service location, Captain Cook's is pretty solid. We always grab breakfast there on our way out to the parks in the morning, and it's also good for any late-night hunger pangs.

:tasty: