PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit Cake

Poohsmom
05-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi! Does anyone know if you can get grapefruit cake anywhere besides the Brown Derby? DH really wants to try the cake but I don't want to blow 2 table service credits to get it! :tasty:Thanks!!

Mulan
05-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't think it is anywhere else, but you could just order the cake. Go for a snack and eat it outside under a tree. That way you aren't using any credits.

mouseketeer mom
05-14-2008, 08:41 AM
We are trying the Brown Derby for the first time this August. I too, am looking forward to the Grapefruit cake. How would one get it as a snack item as the above poster said? Does Brown Derby do take out???:confused:

Alligirl
05-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I dont know if they do "take out" but my DH and I went once and just got coffees and grapefruit cake while our teens waited for RRC & ToT. It was a nice quiet air conditioned break!!:thumbsup:

Clay Ransone
05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
If you want to eat at the Brown Derby in addition to having Grapefruit Cake you could pay out of pocket for the Fantasmic! Dinner Package. The Brown Derby is a pretty good deal then. I have been to the Brown Derby twice on the Fantasmic! package and enjoyed it. I'm not sure I need to go back but the meals were good.

ElenitaB
05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
We are trying the Brown Derby for the first time this August. I too, am looking forward to the Grapefruit cake. How would one get it as a snack item as the above poster said? Does Brown Derby do take out???:confused:
It's not available as a snack item both in terms of cost and location where it's served. However, you can HAVE it as a snack.

I'd never thought of stopping mid-afternoon to have coffee and a dessert in the parks, but I think it's an inspired idea! Kind of an in-park afternoon tea (without the tea and without the tea pastries ;))!

MartyS
05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Or, you could just make some..
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs (separated)
3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
2. Add water, oil, egg yolks, grapefruit juice, and lemon rind. Beat until smooth.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar separately, until whites are stiff but not dry.
4. Gradually fold egg whites into the cake batter, folding gently with a rubber spatula until just blended. Do not stir the mixture.
5. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch cake pan. Bake at 350º degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger. Invert pan on cake rack until cool. Run spatula around edge of cake. Carefully remove from pan. With a serrated knife, gently cut layer in half.

Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

2 six-ounce packages of cream cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
6 to 8 drops yellow food coloring
1 one-pound can grapefruit sections (well-drained), reserving 2 tablespoons of juice OR 3 fresh grapefruits, peeled, sectioned, and drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice.

Method:

1. Let cream cheese soften at room temperature. Beat cheese until fluffy.
2. Add lemon juice and rind.
3. Gradually blend in sugar. Beat until well blended. Add food coloring.
4. Add reserved grapefruit and blend into frosting.
5. Divide the frosting evenly into two bowls. Roughly chop 2/3 of the grapefruit sections and add them to half the frosting. Spread this mixture on the bottom half of cake. Top with several grapefruit sections. Cover with second layer of cake. Frost top and sides. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.

Brandi1leigh
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know if this is still true, but the Starrring Rolls Cafe (right next to the Brown Derby) used to have to-go portions of the grapefruit cake.

mouseketeer mom
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Or, you could just make some..
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs (separated)
3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
2. Add water, oil, egg yolks, grapefruit juice, and lemon rind. Beat until smooth.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar separately, until whites are stiff but not dry.
4. Gradually fold egg whites into the cake batter, folding gently with a rubber spatula until just blended. Do not stir the mixture.
5. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch cake pan. Bake at 350º degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger. Invert pan on cake rack until cool. Run spatula around edge of cake. Carefully remove from pan. With a serrated knife, gently cut layer in half.

Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

2 six-ounce packages of cream cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
6 to 8 drops yellow food coloring
1 one-pound can grapefruit sections (well-drained), reserving 2 tablespoons of juice OR 3 fresh grapefruits, peeled, sectioned, and drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice.

Method:

1. Let cream cheese soften at room temperature. Beat cheese until fluffy.
2. Add lemon juice and rind.
3. Gradually blend in sugar. Beat until well blended. Add food coloring.
4. Add reserved grapefruit and blend into frosting.
5. Divide the frosting evenly into two bowls. Roughly chop 2/3 of the grapefruit sections and add them to half the frosting. Spread this mixture on the bottom half of cake. Top with several grapefruit sections. Cover with second layer of cake. Frost top and sides. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.

Is this the actual recipe from the Brown Derby?? Yum!

wendy*darling
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
DH & I went there for dessert and coffee one evening last summer.
It's not a problem at all- and a very lovely way to get out of the heat.

(Hey Poohsmom- I'm right next door in Medford! :wave:)

Poohsmom
05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
I was thinking they might have it at Starring Rolls. I guess I could check there first and if not, we'll go to Brown Derby for dessert. Thanks!

Chris:mickey:

PS Nice to meet a SJ neighbor!

TheDuckRocks
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
The grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby was one of my stupidest Disney moments ever! I absolutely hate grapefruit! Silly me after reading soooooooo many wonderful things about the cake and how it is a Brown Derby "original...only to be found at..." thing guess who just had to order it. Yeah, me the woman who had totally taken leave of her sences. Guess what? It tastes like grapefruit!:ack: Now I know all of you who don't like grapefruit would never find yourselfs sitting with a plate of nasty grapefruit cake in front of you while your hubby is completely enjoying the divine creme brulee he ordered. How do I know that it was devine? Well, let me tell you I can be pretty dang fast with a spoon when necessary!:D

mouseketeer mom
05-16-2008, 08:52 AM
The grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby was one of my stupidest Disney moments ever! I absolutely hate grapefruit! Silly me after reading soooooooo many wonderful things about the cake and how it is a Brown Derby "original...only to be found at..." thing guess who just had to order it. Yeah, me the woman who had totally taken leave of her sences. Guess what? It tastes like grapefruit!:ack: Now I know all of you who don't like grapefruit would never find yourselfs sitting with a plate of nasty grapefruit cake in front of you while your hubby is completely enjoying the divine creme brulee he ordered. How do I know that it was devine? Well, let me tell you I can be pretty dang fast with a spoon when necessary!:D

Thats funny!:)
Well, I looove grapefruit so I look forward to this in August!