PDA

View Full Version : ladybug release times?

McGoofy
05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm trying to plan out some times of things we will be doing on our trip to WDW in 2 weeks. Can anybody who has already been to the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot this year tell me what are the daily times that they are doing the ladybug releases? Last year they were at 1:00pm and 3:00pm daily. Is it the same this year? My son enjoyed it so much last year that he asked me if we could do it again this year.

Thanks in advance!:flower::bfly:

Figment!
05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
It appears to be 1 pm and 3 pm daily this year as well.

Check with Guest Services at the park the day of to ensure that there has not been a schedule change for that day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival, Part 2

by Kristin Ford
Orlando Sentinel's Theme Park Rangers
April 24, 2008

We made a return trip this week to Epcot and discovered even more kid-size activities, thanks to reader Jennifer's suggestions. Growing Future Gardeners near Germany did indeed offer a lot of fun choices for kids of all ages.

The activities in this area are mostly ladybug-themed because at 1 p.m and 3 p.m. daily there is a ladybug release that everyone can participate in. It starts with a light-hearted explanation of why ladybugs are "good bugs" by Lulu the Bug Lady and Dr. A. Morphus (pictured on the jump), two cast members who then distribute the matchboxes filled with the gentle insects. Kids are encouraged to release the ladybugs in the flowers and plants -- not the ground by the play equipment, where they become "crunchy."

On the day we visited, a group gathered at 3 p.m., but it wasn't unmanageable. It only takes a couple minutes for the ladybugs, and the humans, to scatter so don't be deterred by crowds. And be sure to check out the innovative sculptures in the garden -- everything from a schnauzer to Disney scarecrows to a vegetable pizza.

Here also is a craft table (in the shade!) nearby for kids to make cute ladybug projects to take home. (Epcot still has its Kidcot stations, but these are additional flower & garden crafts during the festival.) Afterward kids are rewarded with special Flower & Garden stickers, which their crafty mommy put away for scrapbooks when they weren't looking.

This area features two temporary play structures, which are enough to keep kids moving. One is designed for ages 2-5 and the other for 6 and older. Plus, there is a wall with activities using fine motor skills, which can be a fun diversion.

I think this is an area kids will really "dig"!