PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex to be Rebranded by ESPN

Figment!
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Disney Sports Complex to Become ESPN-Branded Immersive Sports Venue

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
May 13, 2008

NEW YORK (May 13, 2008) -- Aligning the world's No. 1 family vacation destination with the worldwide leader in sports, Walt Disney World Resort and ESPN are joining forces to re-brand Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex with the ESPN brand, creating an entertaining and immersive experience for the nearly 2 million athletes, coaches and spectators who come through the Disney sports complex each year.

Plans for the re-branding initiative -- which was announced today during the ESPN upfront presentation to advertisers and sponsors -- are still in the development stage, but initial concepts involve renaming the sports complex and incorporating the signature elements of ESPN throughout the 220-acre facility, which is a leading venue for amateur and professional sports in the country. The project aims to enhance the experience of both athletes and spectators by connecting them to their favorite ESPN programs, personalities and elements. It also will provide advertisers new sponsorship opportunities at the grass roots level.

"This is a natural and exciting pairing of two powerful brands to create a one-of-a-kind, immersive sports venue that will enable athletes, coaches and guests to experience sports in a whole new way," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts. "This project builds on our collaborative successes and positions us to explore more opportunities with ESPN to create new experiences for guests at Walt Disney World Resort."

"Our involvement in the Disney sports complex will provide greater opportunities for us to connect directly with athletes, coaches and fans in a highly immersive way," said George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports, and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks. "Our involvement also provides us with a unique and exciting new media platform that will enable our advertisers and sponsors to reach new customers and bring their products and services to life.''

The re-branding of the Disney sports complex is the latest initiative in the growing sports business at Walt Disney World Resort. In December, the sports complex debuted additional outdoor playing fields for football, soccer, lacrosse and field hockey competitions. And this summer the sports complex will open Jostens Center, a new state-of-the-art field house that will allow Disney to accommodate twice as many indoor sports events each year. Additional expansion plans are being explored.
The Disney sports complex annually hosts more than 180 events in 50 different sports involving athletes from more than 70 countries. Among those events are the Atlanta Braves spring training season, a Tampa Bay Rays regular-season series, the Major League Baseball Draft, the NBA Pre-Draft Camp, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp, Chelsea Football Club events, the Pop Warner Super Bowl, AAU National Championships, Varsity All-Star Cheerleading competitions, USSSA events and the Walt Disney World Marathon, one of the top marathons in the nation. ESPN televised 20 sporting events from the complex in the last year. Walt Disney World Resort and ESPN also annually work together to host the popular ESPN The Weekend event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Disney Sports Complex Rebranded by ESPN

ESPN.com
May 13, 2008

Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. is being rebranded with the ESPN brand.

Plans are still in the development stage, but initial concepts call for incorporating ESPN elements throughout the 220-acre complex, which is a leading venue for amateur and professional sports.

"Our involvement in the Disney sports complex will provide greater opportunities for us to connect directly with athletes, coaches and fans in a highly immersive way," George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports, and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks said. "Our involvement also provides us with a unique and exciting new media platform that will enable our advertisers and sponsors to reach new customers and bring their products and services to life.''

Nearly two million athletes, coaches and spectators come through the complex each year.

lockedoutlogic
05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm shocked it took them this long....

though i wonder what this will do when they go ahead and put in an ESPNzone.....it would almost have to be on the West Side to be effective.....

hmmmm.....

BMan62
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
This makes sense. Does ABC even run "Wide World of Sports" anymore?

GrumpyFan
05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
This sounds like a really good move on both Disney and ESPNs part, I wonder why it took so long for it to happen.

I wonder what kind of future plans they have for this? Maybe a big ESPN Zone restaurant and entertainment complex, a small broadcast studio, or maybe even a hotel? I think an ESPN hotel inside the WWS area would be a great idea. Or, they could turn the other side of Pop Century into the ESPN hotel. Just thinkin' out loud...

EpcotNut
05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I'm wondering if this will put to rest the "ESPNzone going into DisneyQuest" talk. I would imagine they would put an ESPNZone in the new complex as a draw for people other than the competitors/coaches and families. Just a thought. Maybe part of that is wishful thinking, too - I'd hate to see DQ go.

Jeff G
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm shocked it took them this long....

This sounds like a really good move on both Disney and ESPNs part, I wonder why it took so long for it to happen.

:ditto:

A while back I mentioned to my DW that I couldn't beleive that this wasn't branded with the ESPN title. ESPN is a leader in sports which should lead to a larger draw base while lending more opportunites for future devlopment.

Imagineer1981
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I'm wondering if this will put to rest the "ESPNzone going into DisneyQuest" talk. I would imagine they would put an ESPNZone in the new complex as a draw for people other than the competitors/coaches and families. Just a thought. Maybe part of that is wishful thinking, too - I'd hate to see DQ go.

Unfortunately, I don't think from a "foot traffic" perspective, that putting an ESPN Zone in the new complex would be as profitable as it would replacing DQ with it.

Jasminegirlsmom
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know what took them so long either. I figured they'd rebrand it a long time ago.

GrumpyFan
05-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think from a "foot traffic" perspective, that putting an ESPN Zone in the new complex would be as profitable as it would replacing DQ with it.

Agreed. Currently, the foot traffic is sporadic depending on the events taking place there. However, if ESPN has plans or visions for making this more of a destination, they could turn it in to something that draws more foot traffic. If they built an ESPN zone, and some other attractions in the area, it could become another destination somewhat like Downtown Disney. I know recently Jim Hill (if he can be believed), mentioned that they were looking at building a bowling center in the area.

Also, with the Atlanta Braves doing their spring training there, and the Tampa Bay Bucs doing their training there, it's starting to draw more traffic. They're also starting to host more and more special events there that all add up to help make it a destination, maybe not for the majority of guests to WDW, but at least a small portion, and then you also have a lot of locals who come out to see some of the events.

lockedoutlogic
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Agreed. Currently, the foot traffic is sporadic depending on the events taking place there. However, if ESPN has plans or visions for making this more of a destination, they could turn it in to something that draws more foot traffic. If they built an ESPN zone, and some other attractions in the area, it could become another destination somewhat like Downtown Disney. I know recently Jim Hill (if he can be believed), mentioned that they were looking at building a bowling center in the area.

Also, with the Atlanta Braves doing their spring training there, and the Tampa Bay Bucs doing their training there, it's starting to draw more traffic. They're also starting to host more and more special events there that all add up to help make it a destination, maybe not for the majority of guests to WDW, but at least a small portion, and then you also have a lot of locals who come out to see some of the events.

wide world....after a kinda undecided opening....has actually become very successful.....there is alot of money to be had in hosting athletic tournaments....and disneyworld is an easy sell to family and friends....

but it is not....nor will it ever be....a vacationer area....

and to put an espnzone there would be silly....they learned their lesson with allstar cafe....

besides....a Zone would be just as much for the local population as it would the travelers.....the west side is perfect....

i wish they would put it at saratoga.....spice that place up a little

Jasper
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I am sure that from a financial point of view this is good for both ESPN and Disney. However, from the standpoint of someone like myself who is only mildly interested in sports in general this is just a big yawn!! Until they do something over there that draws the interest of a wider audience I think you are still going to see a real up and down swing in interest based on what happens to be going on over there right at the moment. And let's face it, the only other BIG thing they could bring in is to have a pro basketball team workout and play some preseason games there. So how much more can they really do to make it a consistent year round draw at that high of a level?

DisneyWizard
05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
People still go to this thing?

big blue and hairy
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Wide World of Sports isn't going to draw much traffic from the folks who come to do the parks. The idea is to draw the highly lucrative sports business and then those people spend money in the parks, hotels, restaurants, etc.

:sulley:

Jasper
05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Wide World of Sports isn't going to draw much traffic from the folks who come to do the parks. The idea is to draw the highly lucrative sports business and then those people spend money in the parks, hotels, restaurants, etc.

:ditto::exactly:

OK, you said more clearly in two sentences what I was trying to say than I did in half a page of typing!

However, there are two basic questions that this announcement leaves in my mind. The first is given that they already do so many things what is left to add? And secondly, how is branding it with ESPN going to help?

From a professional standpoint they already do about as much as you can do without actually getting a pro team to make this facility their home for regular season games. However none of the facilities are large enough or outfitted with enough amenities to handle regular season games in any sport. So that leaves you looking at bringing in more amateur sports and they are notoriously fickle because of the volunteer nature of so many of them, so where does that leave you?

lockedoutlogic
05-19-2008, 02:33 PM

you are correct....though many can't grasp this.....

it's as if something is a failure if it doesn't have a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique churning out 8 year old harlequins....

they have made alot of money off wide world....which has low operating costs.....the only "mistake" was for eisner to live out one of his fantasies and try to make it an amusement park.....

big blue and hairy
05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
:ditto::exactly:

OK, you said more clearly in two sentences what I was trying to say than I did in half a page of typing! :D

However, there are two basic questions that this announcement leaves in my mind. The first is given that they already do so many things what is left to add? Well, the rumored bowling center for one. Also, maximizing the business opportunities they now have.
And secondly, how is branding it with ESPN going to help? Couldn't hurt, ESPN is The Worldwide Leader In Sports. A little synergy is always nice.

From a professional standpoint they already do about as much as you can do without actually getting a pro team to make this facility their home for regular season games. However none of the facilities are large enough or outfitted with enough amenities to handle regular season games in any sport. So that leaves you looking at bringing in more amateur sports and they are notoriously fickle because of the volunteer nature of so many of them, so where does that leave you? Well, the last time DW and I went to WDW (about 2 weeks ago) I noticed the headquarters for the AAU in the Downtown Disney Hotel plaza....that's gotta help.

Jeany031
05-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I really love ESPN! A very good idea with ESPN and Disney.:mjump::figment::chip::dale:

lockedoutlogic
05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I really love ESPN! A very good idea with ESPN and Disney.:mjump::figment::chip::dale:

Disney bought ESPN in 1995...i'm not sure this even qualifies the term "idea"

big blue and hairy
05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Disney bought ESPN in 1995...i'm not sure this even qualifies the term "idea"
No....more like finally done dawdling...:D

cgriff
05-27-2008, 08:18 PM
The primary thing that I like about ESPN are the often hilarious commercials for SportsCenter. I'd actually pay to own a DVD of all those SportsCenter commercials! I wonder if I'd get Disney Movie Points for that one... hmmmm :confused:

cgriff