PDA

View Full Version : What to order at San Angel Inn

dd143
05-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Since there are controversy reviews for the San Angel Inn, for those of you who like it, can you suggest what to order?

TinkiTime1989
05-13-2008, 01:06 PM
My mom and I always split the Plato Mexicano. The Nachos and Tortilla Soup are also good.

moe513
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
We love it there. The atmosphere is great. We like the tortilla soup and the boneless fish meal.

Mousemates
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Most of all try to order a water-view table...to me this place is all about the atmosphere (don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our food (if I remember I had the aztec soup and a chicken dish that was covered in peppers and cheese), but to me Mexican is Mexican.

Have a great time...I beleive you'll really enjoy the overall eating experience there.

MissStyles
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I love the vegetarian plate they offer. It's not on the main menu but you can ask for it. It's sooo good. It consists of a black bean and sauteed veggie burrito topped with a red sauce, a cheese enchilada topped with a green tomatillo sauce, rice and black beans. It's always very very tasty. I've tried a bite of their chicken sopes (appetizer) as well as the tilapia and chicken mole and both were excellent as well. Enjoy!!!

disneyfankev
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
food from le cellier :D

PrincessCathy
05-13-2008, 11:42 PM
From the appetizers: the sopa azteca (tortilla soup) was good, the ceviche is ok - we've had good and just ok ceviche.

DH has ordered the Mahi Mahi. If I am remembering correctly I ordered the Plato Mexicano.

The issue I have with this restaurant is that - since we eat at Mexican restaurants regularly - the quality compared to price doesn't always match.

wendy*darling
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I always get Mole Poblano when we are there for dinner (not served at lunchtime).
DH almost always gets the Plato Mexicano- it's a nice variety of all the things he likes.
I also like the previously mentioned Tortilla Soup.

And... don't forget the margaritas! :thumbsup:

Duchess99
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I like the Plato Mexicano, it's a good mix. The margaritas are also fab!:marg:

Janmac
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
DH likes the Plato Mexicano. I prefer whatever fish they've got, especially with plenty of onions and peppers. With a Dos Equis Dark!

Members of our group have also enjoyed the Mole Poblano and one of the beef tenderloin dishes, but don't remember now which.

Our local "Mexican" restaurants tend toward burritos and chimichangas and the like (these are sit down places - not Taco Bell). Not going to find Mole Poblano, Camerones (shrimp) of any kind, or fish. Eating at San Angel has always been a treat.

Enjoy!

Jan

Crow
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
:marg:
i think the soup was ok.
other than that I will have to see if i go in Sept & decide then

#1donaldfan
05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Chips N Salsa, some drink from a can, then go to Yorkshire Fish Shoppe.....:mickey:

Piglet822
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
DBF and I just had dinner at San Angel this past weekend.
We started off with a plate of Nachos, I though they were very good!! He had the Combinacion Cozumel which came with Grilled beef tenderloin, marinated shrimp, something the waitress said was like plantains(?) I think that's what she said they were like - all I remember is it was something I didn't think I'd like so I didn't order it :D His meal also came with mashed potatoes and grilled veggies.
I ordered the Plato Mexicano. It was more to my liking with the grilled tenderloin, chicken enchilada and a beef flauta. It also came with black beans.
Overall we were quite happy with our food.

Kidsmom
05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
The beef tenderloin.....

aurorafan
05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
My favorite thing was the nachos--made with chorizo which is my favorite! The other food was just ok, so I won't review it per your request ;).

Mrs Grumpy
05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I started off with nachos and then had the combination plate. I enjoyed both.

Magic Smiles
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
We were pretty hesitant about eating here also, but went ahead and booked it for our Anniversary Dinner anyways. Although we could not get a table beside the water (they are reserved for groups of 6 and more, we were told) we still enjoyed our dinner.
I had Combinacion Cozumel which was GREAT!
DS and DH both had Plato Mexicano, which they both enjoyed. Of course I had the frozen margarita :marg:, which was delicious and we all enjoyed the complimentary tortilla chips and salsa to start. As we are not big eater we did not order any appetizer nor dessert, but all came away with a full stomach.
After reading all the bad reviews, we have to say that this was probably one of our favorite restaurants. I do also really like the 50's Prime Time Cafe and the food at the POFQ. We do NOT like Ohanas' nor Morrocco.

pluto 77
05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
We usually split the combination plate and sometimes the nachos. Yummy!!!:tasty:

ElenitaB
05-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I love the sope (the sope, not the sopa) which is a soft corn shell (think of a flattened out log shape) filled with chicken and refried beans. And for my main course, I always get the chicken mole (a sauce made with different kinds of chiles, almonds, pumpkin seeds and chocolate... you can buy it a premade base but it makes a LOT). They do a good job of it! :thumbsup:

Jeanne, a plaintain is a variety of banana. You can prepare them when they're green (unripe) or yellow (ripe and sweeter), by either boiling or frying them, or throwing them in as part of a soup. Frying, of course, is better tasting but not necessarily better for you. ;)