PDA

View Full Version : Q for people who go Christmas week

Aurora
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I have gone at the beginning of December to see all the decorations and the Christmas festivities, but I've never gone during Christmas week. I'm just wondering for those who do -- why?

I am really looking for some insight into why you use more points and bear enormous crowds during that week. What is the biggest draw for you?

I'm not looking to put anyone on the defensive -- honest. I'm just curious and interested to know.

lockedoutlogic
05-13-2008, 12:30 PM
the reason is ...i would say...two fold....

some people probably really like the idea of being in WDW on Christmas....I guess i could see the allure in that.....
but i have to say....after living in Florida for 3 years.....Christmas in Florida is....well....depressing....nothing says "merry christmas" like a palm tree wrapped in lights

i would say the second reason is the prime reason....and it's pretty simple...
Schools are out....lots of people are on vacation...

It seems logical....but is probably the worst thing to "take advantage of" when going to WDW...

no thanks

FutureCorpsFan
05-13-2008, 01:16 PM
We went to DW the first week in December last year. While it was great to see everything decorated for the holidys, it was ungodly crowded. We really could not get anything done and it took us anywhere from 90 to 200 minutes to eat at table service restaurant. Being from the northeast, we were happy to make the trip and see all the Christmas festivites, but we were also happy to be back home for the holidays

wendy*darling
05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
One year after Christmas Day, I decided that the week after Christmas was such a let down after all the rushing around earlier in the month. I decided I would rather spend that week at WDW- even if it was super crowded.
So the next year (Dec 2005) we arrived in WDW on the afternoon of 12/25- after opening gifts and having a nice breakfast at home- and spent the week with the masses!
We are veterans in WDW- so we did not need to do and see everything. We planned some great meals, took our time, used Fast Passes and EMH where available.
We had a blast! I remember that week with fondness. I do not remember being uncomfortable by the crowds at all.
I do remember being totally amazed at how many people can fit into Epcot on New Year's Eve! They were all over the lawns- just about everywhere you looked! But we planned 2 nice, long TS meals as breaks (LeCellier for lunch and San Angel for a late dinner). We spent time in the nearly empty Wonders of Life Pavilion for a while (enjoyed seeing Cranium Command and the Making of Me "one last time"). The lines were long- Test Track was over 200 minutes late in the day- but we never waited more than maybe 20 minutes for anything!
And the BEST part of the whole week was welcoming 2006 in at midnight in Japan! :party:

We went home on New Year's Day- happy and not at all bored!
We would do this again- and actually this year- we are getting on the Wonder on New Year's Eve! :mickey:

disneycouple2004
05-14-2008, 05:47 AM
We were married at the world Dec 22cd 2004. So we return that time every year for our anniv.
We plan ahead for all our dining, and special events. We get up very early and are able to do all our favorite attractions with very short wait times. We are Disney Veterans also, so we take our time and enjoy the trip. For us there is no better place to spend Christmas than DISNEYWORLD !!

elmjimmlm
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
We are planning on being there a couple of days after Christmas...I want to be there at a different time during the year to see the decorations and the parades...I think that even with the crowds that it will be worth it...

hlkeck
05-14-2008, 10:27 AM
We are going the 19-23, and our reasoning is this: we bought APs this year, our kids are 4 and 5 now - will be 4 adn 6 at Xmas, and we are going 3 times this year. That will be plenty of WDW for us for a couple years - and we wanted them to see Xmas at the World (and for US to see THEM seeing Xmas at the World) while they are still young and believe in magic. This has been a wonderful year with them so far at WDW and by the end of '08 hopefully we will have stayed at 4 different resorts with our young children who still believe that Donald Duck is real and not in a costume and believe that Ariel can't leave the grotto because she doesn't have legs! We can't wait to walk around showing them how Xmas is celebrated, Disney-style - it will be a whirlwind 14 months and lots of planes and driving - but we can't imagine a better way to spend those days, even if it's crowded. We can't wait!

minnie1956
06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
We are Vets too. We enjoy going even though it is crowded. When there are:number1: that many people you are forced to slow down and take in what is going on. We love the Osborne lights. My 18 yo Dd loves the atmosphere, decorations, special attractions and the fireworks New Years Eve on Mainstreet. Awesome.