PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan and DVC

Volksjager
05-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I am looking for tips regarding dining at WDW as a DVC owner. Before we bought into DVC we went with the first instance of DDP and were very pleased.

Last year, since we went twice (jan & dec), we bought annual passes and the Disney Dining Experience card which got us 20% off including drinks at a lot of places.

I hear alot about "Free Dining" though I 'm never sure what is required to get those deals...

Going to wait and see what the changes are to the DDP for 2009 before adding it, though I am wondering if it is going to be the best option.

Anyone have any suggestions other than signing up for DDP ?

JPL
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I actually think the DDE is a better value than the DDP in most cases. The only thing I can suggest is doing the math and pricing it out to see which gives you the better value. According to most reports the DDP saves an average of $6-$8 per person per day.

Volksjager
05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree, we especially liked the DDE when 9 of us went out and all saved 20%, including beer and wine (and any other alcohol).

The only draw back of using DDE again is that the only way (as far as I know) that we can get it is if we buy annual passes again. Since we are only going once in 2009 it would seem to be too pricey.

JPL
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
You only have to purchase one AP so you might want to do the math on that was well depending on how long you are going for and with the DVC AP discount it still could be worth it to purchase 1 AP :thumbsup:

Volksjager
05-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Good call :thumbsup:
I wasn't thinking about buying only one AP, that would work out great since DDE is good for up to 10 people.

Mackflava99
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
We are DVC- have been for a number of years-

What we do is get the dining plan, but eat breakfast in the room every day. Since we have the kitchen, its easier and less expensive that way. We also stock up on snacks so we can bring them in case we need the.

We make ADR- because if you go to the nice restaurants, the DDP makes alot of sense. If you are having burgers etc- for all meals, then maybe it doesnt.
We use DDP for lunch and dinner- but if we double up on one to get a character dinner- then we either eat in our room(rarely) or just bring sandwiches-

Either way the DDP is well worth the cost. We review the bill each year and we always make out in the deal.

dizknee531
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
We are DVC- have been for a number of years-

What we do is get the dining plan, but eat breakfast in the room every day. Since we have the kitchen, its easier and less expensive that way. We also stock up on snacks so we can bring them in case we need the.

We make ADR- because if you go to the nice restaurants, the DDP makes alot of sense. If you are having burgers etc- for all meals, then maybe it doesnt.
We use DDP for lunch and dinner- but if we double up on one to get a character dinner- then we either eat in our room(rarely) or just bring sandwiches-

Either way the DDP is well worth the cost. We review the bill each year and we always make out in the deal.
We do the same thing!! We calculate our costs and the DDP IS WELL WORTH IT!!!
We make the ADR's as well . It's really a treat.:marg:

KineGirl
05-15-2008, 12:06 AM
We are DVC and normally get the DDE with our AP but this year we are only planning on going once (hopefully twice for MNSSHP)so we are just going DDP however my parents, who live in Orlando and are CM/AP, have the DDE are taking the time off this year to vacay with us and we plan on using their DDE on the things that DDP doesnt cover... we lucked out. Either way I think theyre both great deals especially when you go for the pricier restaurants/menu items.

wendy*darling
05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I hear alot about "Free Dining" though I 'm never sure what is required to get those deals...
Free Dining is not available to DVC Members staying on points.
In order to get Free DDP- you would have to get a MYW package and pay for the room and at least 1day base tickets to qualify.

Some years, it makes sense for at least one of us to get an AP, and we do the DDE.
Other times we do the DDP.
We have even done both on some trips!

I think they are both good deals. It's worth it to spend a little time crunching some numbers to see what works best for the way you dine. I think the DDE- with the discount on adult beverages- makes it very worthwhile more times than not. :thumbsup:

Volksjager
05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks all, another great idea to team up DDE with DDP!

aurorafan
05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm planning on teaming up DDE and DDP in Dec. also. If I can get CRT and Cali Grill I'll use the DDE for those rather than wasting 2 TS credits on each. I don't think having only the 2 signature restaurants makes it worth getting the DDxP, although I may change my mind between now and then ;).

I'm very glad they allow DVC members to get the DDP now--I've used it twice (in '07 and this past Feb.) and really enjoyed it both times :). Dec. will be our first trip "home" and I can't wait :cloud9:

JMTStone
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
You only have to purchase one AP so you might want to do the math on that was well depending on how long you are going for and with the DVC AP discount it still could be worth it to purchase 1 AP :thumbsup:

Smart!!!!