PDA

View Full Version : Venting about BLAH BLAH BLAH!

letsdoitagain
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
There is venting about taking flash pictures on dark rides, which I agree is extremely annoying. But, the people who won't shut up for anything to let others enjoy an attraction really get me going.:flame:

I think we all can agree that rides like POTC, ISAW and the like are better enjoyed without having to hear about your lunch plans, your aunt polly or the bunyun on your foot shouldn't be part of MY or anyone elses WDW experience.

Enough of the :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

How about :zipped: it!

JPL
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately this is a problem every where. They even put up signs on the trains I take to work :shake: A few times a person on a cellphone was actually drowning out my iPod :mad:

I had people behind me on the Safari and I don't think they saw a single animal since they were texting back and forth with someone and talking about what to say next.

Mendelson
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
I guess maybe in defense of those chatters is that when you're on vacation you sort of have a feeling of letting yourself go. You get caught up in being on vacation and at WDW and get a little euphoric and tend to talk more? Although I don't know why anyone would want to talk through an attraction and miss it.

AdventurerKim
05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
The incessant talking on rides and in shows, like Muppets 3D, gets to be annoying because even though I've been to the attractions so many times, I return so I can enjoy them and their ambiance and entertainment. I try to look past it and hope that the next time I won't be sitting near someone who is discourteous.

It's the same at movie theaters, despite all those ads to turn cell phones off and "don't spoil the movie by adding your own soundtrack." This has prevented us from going to movie theaters but not from going to WDW.

TheAdventurer
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
When I went with a friend a few years back, it was her first time riding ToT. Some of the people in our car were chatting loudly and laughing at all kinds of things, completely destroying the spooky atmosphere you're supposed to get. I felt so bad for her because she would never get that first ride back, and experierence ToT for the first time the way it's supposed to be.

KAJUNKING
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM
i dont understand why people cant sit back and enjoy the attractions

Davyjones
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I totally agree with you! The incessant chatter on rides totally ruins a ride for me. And I know it does for other riders because I have been on rides where someone was doing it and I was going to say something, but a fellow rider (and once many riders) told that person to be quiet (but not as nicely). Most of the time, people will quiet down, but sometimes people argue. Then the cast members MUST step in.

I'm not saying be completely quiet on a ride, but try whispering! :mad:

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
My wife has had to restrain me a couple of times from turning to the people behind or tapping the shoulder of the person in front of me (wherever the magic offenders are) and just politely asking them... "Hey did you see that back there..? or What did they say?" Depending on if it was a ride or show.

Disney Doll
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
In general the self-centeredness and sense of entitlement I see among them general public is appalling. The "it's MY vacation so I can do what I want" mentality seems to be getting more and more prevalent. How did it get to be that manners are just thrown by the wayside?

Taja
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Part of it is a lack of cell phone ettiquette in public. Any place in public--not just WDW!

I find it incredibly strange that people have to chat on their cell phones all the time--including in the restrooms! *eek*

All public places need to post and enforce cell phone use policies. The world would be a much better place--for me! :cloud9:

Talk about self-centered! *LOL*

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
In general the self-centeredness and sense of entitlement I see among them general public is appalling. The "it's MY vacation so I can do what I want" mentality seems to be getting more and more prevalent. How did it get to be that manners are just thrown by the wayside?

I agree with you 100%!

I've worked in the customer service industry for 15 years and it amazes me what people do, say and don't say. I think it is very sad. My parents thought me to be polite and courteous and I plan on teaching my children the same thing.

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Part of it is a lack of cell phone ettiquette in public. Any place in public--not just WDW!

I find it incredibly strange that people have to chat on their cell phones all the time--including in the restrooms! *eek*

All public places need to post and enforce cell phone use policies. The world would be a much better place--for me! :cloud9:

Talk about self-centered! *LOL*

When someone is on the phone in the men's room, I just start flushing the toilet over and over. If I am in a stall, I start complaining how it just won't go down really loud as a flush. Get some mean looks, but other people start laughing.

One of my favorite pizza places here in town you have to order at the register and they bring it to your table. They have a big sign at at the register letting people know they will not take orders from someone on a cell phone. I have seen them address the other people in line if the person at the register is on the phone and that person has to get back at the end of the line if they still want to east there. I thought it was great, the look of disbelief on that person's face was really something to see.

Taja
05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
When someone is on the phone in the men's room, I just start flushing the toilet over and over. If I am in a stall, I start complaining how it just won't go down really loud as a flush. Get some mean looks, but other people start laughing.

One of my favorite pizza places here in town you have to order at the register and they bring it to your table. They have a big sign at at the register letting people know they will not take orders from someone on a cell phone. I have seen them address the other people in line if the person at the register is on the phone and that person has to get back at the end of the line if they still want to east there. I thought it was great, the look of disbelief on that person's face was really something to see.

Love it! The post office had similar signs and people were completely taken aback when the the clerks told them they would have to end their call or go to the back of the queue!

Not sure if they've been allowed to maintain that policy but I certainly enjoyed it at the time! :)

Goes4FastPass
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
We live in a period of great rudeness everywhere. People dress like slobs, talk like slobs, behave like slobs. They call it being casual.

I try to focus on my family and the good time I'm having. Sometimes the Dad/Uncle role is tought if I feel like my whole groups is being affected by the rudees.

bytheway, Why does Mendelson use a picture of Beethoven for an avatar?

Mackflava99
05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Its one of my biggest pet peave-
Cell phones when you are supposed to be watching something.
I was in Singapore for work, and decided to catch a movie one night.
incredibly, cell phones went off basically every 3-4 minutes- and people kept talking, and then using cell phones to take pictures during the movie-

I kept going "SHHHHH" and they looked at me like i was a monster-

TennesseeTink
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
One of the worst is in Carousel of Progress. Nearly everytime we are at this attraction, someone in the theatre is either loudly complaining about "This is stupid! This is boring!" or just loudly talking amongst themselves. VERY irritating!:mad:

thejens
05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I totally agree with Goes4FastPass. People constantly tell me how well behaved my children are. This is apparently because they don't behave like spoiled, wild, brats. They are not paragons by any means, but they say please and thank you and are generally considerate. Often when I quietly scold my children, "ask nicely" or "say excuse me to the person you just bumped" another adult will stop me with "oh he's just being a boy" or "that's okay" etc. It bothers me that no one expects remotely decent behavior from others and people look at me as if I am being old fashioned when I expect not just manners, but even kindness or consideration! Sorry to be on my soap box, but you struck a nerve. We shouldn't have to put up a sign about cell phone rules or ask the poor cast member to teach people manners, but unfortunately it seems like we have to since their parents didn'nt! Ok, I'll stop now.:blush:

KineGirl
05-14-2008, 02:18 AM
My DD & I always talk (not yell) to Figment (hes so silly) & sing Imagination (not too loud I hope as I am no singer :secret:) on JIYI. We are in our own car on that ride so I really hope we are not impeding on anybody elses enjoyment of the attraction. I also buy the red head on POTC :blush: sorry. We are always too absorbed in the attractions though to just chit chat about any ol' thing. If and when we do talk its more along the lines of "Look at that!" or "how cool!"

mrsgaribaldi
05-14-2008, 02:55 AM
I especially hate it when it's a ride that you have to hear. I have a hearing problem. When people talk during attractions it really makes it hard for me to hear at all. Now that they took the live person out of Living with the Land, people feel more free to talk and I can't hear anything. Once we asked the CM to put us by a speaker and he put us in a baot alone. It was great:thumbsup:

Mickey91
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I agree. I can't stand people people talking through an attraction. It seems to get worse every year. Also, and I still can't believe this one, I was considered to be EXTREMELY RUDE because I followed the rules in one of the pavilions and remained standing instead of sitting like most people. Someone continually asked me why I wanted to ruin their vacation and be such a <snip>. I simply stated that the CM had mentioned no sitting and ALL THE SIGNS said remain standing. There were a lot of people there and I don't prefer to be trampled in the dark. Since when did following the rules make you a bad person???:mad:

valjane
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
This annoys me, too. It's especially bad during the movies-- we've had horrible experiences with loud, rude groups of people at Muppets and Impressions de France.

One of the worst rides for this is the Land in Epcot.... especially now that they've taken away the live guide. I don't think I've heard the recorded narration since it debuted because we've always been in boats of talkers! :mad:

Von-Drake
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
One of the worst rides for this is the Land in Epcot.... especially now that they've taken away the live guide. I don't think I've heard the recorded narration since it debuted because we've always been in boats of talkers! :mad:

I agree I wish they would bring the live guide back. It just added to the ride, and gave you a chance to ask specific questions during his breaks in narration. Just added that little personal touch we love so much at Disney.

lightyearfan
05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
me and dw couldn't agree more! it can get down right obnoxious, but some people are going to do what they're going to do. we went to the hall of presidents and the cm kindly states please no flash photography, and guess what happened.......??????? as soon as the curtain rose up a bunch of flash bulbs starting going off, some much that at the end of the show the cm got really annoyed and said and i quote "thanks to all of you who decided to use flash photograohy after we stated please no flash photography". i tell you whats going to happen, WDW is going to prohibit the use of any kind of camera use in there attractions, and this would be bad for people like me and dw who comply to the rules, and at the same time take pics and video if allowed. i'm the 1 who does all the camcording and if they say that no taping is allowed like at the Nemo show, then i turn my camcorder off, it's not that hard to do:mickey:, as far as all the blah blah blah talking, this is a problem, but again as mentioned above some people are going to do what they're going to do, without any regards to the people around them.

Victor

mickey&missy
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
We live in a period of great rudeness everywhere. People dress like slobs, talk like slobs, behave like slobs. They call it being casual.

Your so right! You can't escape it! People are just generally rude nowadays! It's not just at WDW either. Been to a movie, show, sporting event etc lately?

:nono:

NYCGirl2582
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I know what you mean about people incessantly talking on their cellphone when they're supposed to keep quiet. One time, I was at a business preview and one of the guests that was sitting near me decided to talk on her phone while the guy was giving the business plan. I was 2 seconds away from taking her phone and hanging it up. If you absolutely must keep your cell phone on in case of an emergency, put it on vibrate and step out of the room when you need to make a call or answer your phone

MNNHFLTX
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
bytheway, Why does Mendelson use a picture of Beethoven for an avatar?Maybe because INTERCOT doesn't have avatar of Mendelssohn? ;)

Back to the original topic--I have not had many extreme experiences with people talking during an attraction. One that does stand out in my mind was on the Carousel of Progress last October during INTERCOT's 10th anniversary meet. One man was talking very, very loudly on his cell-phone (I guess to be heard over the audio animatronics) while his wife was filming the attraction with a light on their video camera. Talk about a double whammy! They finally stopped after several comments by those around them. :shake:

Stitchahula
05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I guess my son is one of the quilty ones. He talks all the way through a ride like he's had 90 cups of coffee. We do however remind him he needs to keep the chatter to as much as a whisper as a 4 y/o can muster when he's that excited. If it's an adult that's doing nothing more than complaining that I can't understand.

Von-Drake
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess my son is one of the quilty ones. He talks all the way through a ride like he's had 90 cups of coffee. We do however remind him he needs to keep the chatter to as much as a whisper as a 4 y/o can muster when he's that excited. If it's an adult that's doing nothing more than complaining that I can't understand.
I definitely see where you are coming from here. There are some rides my son just talks about everything he sees, Peter Pan being the the number 1. I just remind him to keep his voice down to a whisper.

MushuGrl
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
If people are talking ABOUT the ride, I have no problem. I especially get a kick of people who are on them for the first time and are pointing and squealing all excited.

Talking about Uncle Joe's gall bladder surgery while I'm trying to drool at Jack Sparrow...uh...I mean...appreciate the fine animatronic works of the Disney Imagineers, no.

WAIT A MINUTE...THERE'S NO LIVE GUIDES AT THE LAND ANYMORE???????? :confused:

thejens
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I do think there is a difference between people excitedly enjoying the ride "wow look at that" and people talking on cell phones or about dinner plans. I always try to shush my kids if they are TOO talkative in, say, the Hall of Presidents, but I certainly have more tolerance for excited children than for self centered adults. Some of my favorite moments have been hearing other people's children's reactions!!

biodtl
05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
If people are talking ABOUT the ride, I have no problem. I especially get a kick of people who are on them for the first time and are pointing and squealing all excited.

Talking about Uncle Joe's gall bladder surgery while I'm trying to drool at Jack Sparrow...uh...I mean...appreciate the fine animatronic works of the Disney Imagineers, no.

That's exactly how I feel about it. If it is more of a show/movie type attraction, the talking is more distracting than on a ride type. But either way - it doesn't bother me to hear people talking or being excited about the attraction.

"Uncle Joe's gallbladder" (lol) and cell phone talkers on attractions drive me crazy, though.

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2008, 05:18 PM

For the most part I agree. On rides like POTC or TOT etc. being excited and pointing out something is fine, sometimes its shows me something I missed. But talking in a movie, or attraction where you are expected to listen to the narration I do have more difficulty with.

BluewaterBrad
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I agree!!:mickey: