PDA

View Full Version : DGamer - New Disney Online Community

WDWfanatic742
05-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Disney is currently about to release and start a new game up. It's called DGamer. Looks alot like the VMK characters but I'll leave you to decide for yourself.

DGamer Link (http://disney.go.com/disneyinteractivestudios/dgamer/)

Looks like it will only be available for Nintendo DS. I highly doubt I'll drop 100 or so bucks on the system and then money for each game/movie or whatever those things are that it says that it will work with.

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Looks like it will only be available for Nintendo DS. I highly doubt I'll drop 100 or so bucks on the system and then money for each game/movie or whatever those things are that it says that it will work with.

I believe you can also access it from your pc. I do not believe you have to have the Nintendo DS.

Blue Genie
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
OK I'm :confused: here. Is this going to be an online game like VMK or for Nintendo. If this is for Nintendo then I can't get it cause I don't have a Nintendo.

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 10:44 AM
According to Wikipedia:

DGamer (Disney Gamer) is an online game and social network service developed by Disney for use with Nintendo DS games. DGamer will be accessible via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection or computer via the DGamer Channel on Disney.com. The service was implemented by Fall Line Studios and Disney Interactive Studios.[1]

It will launch in North America in May 2008, coinciding with the release of the DS version of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.[2] All subsequent Disney Interactive Studios DS games are expected to include DGamer features. There is one problem: Since there hasn't been that much information released to the public about DGamers, many people are unsure if they will be able to play the game without a Nitendo DS.

The game will be opening up on May 15, 2008.

RicksCafe
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I just went to that link and that's about the most confusing thing.

You can buy something! Or it may be free.

You can personalize and socialize! To what end?

It will be hip and cool! Oh, yeah... as if kids need more of that. Thank you again, Disney, for helping Dreamworks make kids hip and cool.

You know what kids need? A happy, safe place like a...hmm... virtual Disney park. Oh wait... they're cancelling that. Riiiight.

Ricks (who is clearly not hip and/or cool)

Patricia
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Tricks summed that up nicely. :thumbsup:

After reading everything, I'm still confused but.. it looks like you have to get DGamer, which will be included with all new Disney DS games, starting with the release of Narnia. After that you can access it from your PC on the DGamer channel of Disney.com. Unlike most Nintendo games.. this one is running off Disney servers.

We have a Dual screen DS.. so, I can try it out and let you know. It is being compared to VMK only in that, it's moderated and has a dictionary. It appears to be more advergaming, which is what VMK was. You will need to use friend codes to hook up. :)

Two more days till the release of Narnia.

Chescat
05-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Is this why VMK is closing? Seems a little coincendental, and we never even had warning about this. So far RainyDaisy is the only person that got this email.

JPL
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Not coughing up the cash for a DS to play this one.

wizardmickey
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
This does all seem very coincidental AND confusing!
Am I hearing/reading right that somewhere down the line... with or without the Nintendo DS (which I do NOT have, do NOT want and WILL NOT BUY)...that some form of payment/purchasing or membership is gonna take place? So, again, why suddenly have this option instead of leaving VMK as is?

JPL
05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Is this why VMK is closing? Seems a little coincendental, and we never even had warning about this. So far RainyDaisy is the only person that got this email.

Actually I got notice of this a few weeks ago but had no idea what it was when it said DS I just deleted the e-mail.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
They do look an awful lot like VMK-ers, but not as cute :P I just happen to have a DS, because I bought it at first to play Nintendogs (which turned out to be possibly the most boring and repetitive game ever, even though the puppies are adorable). I'm still confused. Will DGamer be a DS game we have to buy? Or a free online thingy? And as for Nintendo Wi-Fi, not sure about the whole connection thing. I don't know if the Nintendo's little system is strong enough? :confused:

RockDoctor
05-14-2008, 01:02 AM
As far as I can tell from the email, we should be able to play it online. On the demo site it says that you can pre-register now and if you buy the new Narnia game for the DS (both my older kids have them) it come with some kind of code for a DGamer starter set which includes one new avatar. I tried that. All I got was the log in screen for Disney.com. I am already a registered user, but after I logged in, it didn't take me anywhere. What the :confused:??

I don't think it is coincidental at all. I think the poor VMK folks are dumping all their new items into circulation as fast as they can before the game closes because perhaps they were as surprised as we were that VMK was closing. I think this new game is meant to be a 'pay for' replacement for VMK and it is coming out right before summer, when all the bored little gamers will be home looking for something new to do.

It's classic Disney markerting if you ask me. Of course, I am a sucker for anything Disney and will probably sign up ASAP, cost or no cost.

Patricia
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I think if you are already registered with Disney.com you don't need to sign up again.

DGamer was announced at E3 2007.

We should know more tomorrow about purchasing or not.

This looks like a cross promotion with Nintendo.. sell those Disney/Nintendo games. Being another promotional type venture...

Oh.. I'll stop there. :confused:

TinkRocks
05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm not purchasing a DS system to play a game. What's to stop Disney from pulling the plug on this too??

WDWfanatic742
05-15-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not purchasing a DS system to play a game. What's to stop Disney from pulling the plug on this too??

That's what I was thinking. I'm not going to spend any money on this when I would never be able to play it.

JPL
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I mean if someone wants to purchase me a DS and a few games I certainly wouldn't turn it down ;) I mean really how much is a figgiefig worth these days to keep around :confused:

TinkRocks
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I mean if someone wants to purchase me a DS and a few games I certainly wouldn't turn it down ;) I mean really how much is a figgiefig worth these days to keep around :confused:

Would some gummies do in the mean time while you're waiting for a DS? LOL

chrisb26
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Well I guess it opened today but I'm not sure how much you can actually do with out playing it on your DS. I made a person but don't seem to be able to figure out how you can walk around in the virtual world. I can only find out how you talk to people but to me it seems just like any of their other XD Channels so it looks like the only way to actually play this game is to play it on your DS which I won't be doing.

Patricia
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
It's the same on the DS... all DGamer does is record your scores in Nintendo games to compare with other DGamer members. You get an avatar to dress up (with some serious hat rip offs from VMK), you can pick some things for your avatar to hold and you can chat with friends using friend codes as in XD. There is no virtual world, as far as I can see, in which you can move around in.

So, don't go running out for it. It will now be available with all new Disney DS releases.

trackbarroness
05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
On DGamer I'm now MagicalMoments. And if you already have an account with Disney you just log in. And we all do have accounts with Disney then no worries I think. Have to check it out even more but and yes I glove err I mean love my handle on Dgamer, fits perfectly don't you agree? :D

JPL
05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
So, don't go running out for it. It will now be available with all new Disney DS releases.

SHHHH Patti I'm trying to get a free DS here :mad:

Patricia
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Oops, sorry.. being quiet now.

TinkRocks
05-16-2008, 02:44 AM
I'll be waiting with JP - don't want him to wait all by himself! LOL :blush:

Randypandy
05-16-2008, 04:41 AM
I registered on the site but so far nothing has shown up on there yet. I'm there as miressa.