PDA

View Full Version : my computer has been ...

Bethis26fan
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
My teenage cousin was on my laptop this weekend and now it's got adware all in it. Any tips on a good downloadable site to get it off?

medic9016
05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php) This is free and works very good.

biodtl
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Ad-aware is good, and spy-bot can help, too. If they don't work, there are some forums where super awesome smart folks will help you. It's free, but they take donations of any size to keep the site running, if you are so inclined. PM me if you want the website.

Bethis26fan
05-12-2008, 10:45 PM
I think I might be good. I ended up just by a spyware program and it deleted over 2000 spy & adware junk. I've got my virus scan running on it now to be safe. Wow is all I can say. I took almost a full day to get that fixed. My cousin feels awful about it. lol I told that's what happens sometimes when you go to sites you don't know. I hope (really really hope) that after the virus scan runs it will be good to go. I know it's already moving faster.

Thanks everyone.

DizneyRox
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I would also suggest a password on all logins to that machine to prevent any future infestations.

Another semi painless thing I've done is download a HOSTS file to use instead of the default windows one. It will block many spyware/adware sites as well as having a few other good side effects.

If you perform a google search for HOSTS and follow the third real result, you'll get all the information you need. I don't run a computer without it.

garymacd
05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't fault any of the other posters who have suggested Ad-aware or Spybot. Both have worked well for me in the past.

J9
05-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Ah, its things like this that remind me why I switched to Mac! I've never had a problem in the 2.5 years since I switched!!! :-D

Bethis26fan
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I thought it was working but it's still not back right. I guess I'm going to have to take it to someone to fix. :( ugh I hate to have to pay that.

biodtl
05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Bethis26fan,
I sent you a PM.

AlliMo
05-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I had the same problem once. I downloaded a comcast tool bar...or you can download a google tool bar. Once you have done that, there should be an icon for a spyware scan. Do the scan a few times and you should be alright. It worked for me.