PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer island

Mackflava99
05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Is Tom Sawyer island still open? it seems like every time we go its closed-

Are the mines and fort still open to visit?

BluewaterBrad
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes it is open.Fort and Mines too!!:mickey:

WDWPRIME
05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I've been to MK at least 10 times, and I've only ventured over to Tom's Island a couple times. We're planning a more slow paced trip this fall, and I'll be sure to take a walk through. I remember the mines being pretty cool.

ltam16
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
My kids and I had a blast this past April when we went. They loved the fort and the mines. Be sure to take the first raft over and try to find a paintbrush! Its a fast pass to either Splash Mountain or Thunder mountain.

MauiMouse
05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I went over there about 3 weeks ago. Hadn't been since I was a kid, we checked out the fort, but the mines well were a little too dark and we didn't venture in too far. Plus the person I was with is 6'3" and it might have been a little tight for him.

baby minnie's mommy
05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I think it closes at dusk, so if you've been trying to get over there late in the day that may be why it's been closed. I've missed it a couple times because of not getting there in time. :mickey:

Speedy1998
05-13-2008, 06:09 AM
When have you been going? I don't think they open it when the crowds are light.

mouseketeer mom
05-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Is there always a paintbrush hidden each morning? My kids wanted to monorail over early one day to try to find it! We heard if you do there is some sort of fun prize involved, like fastpasses or something..

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Is there always a paintbrush hidden each morning? My kids wanted to monorail over early one day to try to find it! We heard if you do there is some sort of fun prize involved, like fastpasses or something..

We went there first thing one morning about 6 years ago and my wife found a paintbrush. We got a choice of four passes to Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. Better than fastpasses, we got to go in the exit straight to the ride. Absolutely no lines at all.

biodtl
05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Does Tom Sawyer Island open when the park does or later? I haven't been over there since childhood trips.

Flower
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
The only thing to note is that when we were there in January the fort area had some of the upper wooden look out bridges shut down because of wood rot. We were able to walk inside the building part, but you could not walk across the upper level bridges.

I never knew about the paint brush! That is interesting!

It does close at dusk and when they close off that rope they won't let anyone through. We were walking up just as they pulled it across and no way would they let us in line, even though the last raft over was no-where near full.

Von-Drake
05-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Does Tom Sawyer Island open when the park does or later? I haven't been over there since childhood trips.

The time we found the paintbrush, we were on the first boat over and I want to say it was about 10:00 or so. The time this happened was in September 2001, the parks were the least crowded I have ever seen them. I remember we chose to the Big Thunder Mountain passes.

Mackflava99
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the info- i never knew about the paintbrushes- thats so cool-

Another magical thing about Disney!!!