PDA

View Full Version : what not to wear at WDW?

ASweetLov
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I will be going with my sister to WDW next spring(her first time). While I love to wear shirts with characters and butterflies and anything pretty and comfy she is a bit different. She can be a bit "gloomy". She will wear 1 or 2 character shirts but she also has some tanks that have skulls on it that she finds to be comfy. Now I dont find the tanks to be scary at all, one is black and has a scull but other designes around that unless you stare at her shirt you wouldnt be able to notice it, plus it has some rainbow color glitter all over the front of it too. So, What shouldnt be worn to WDW? and what is prohibited to wear at WDW?

Thanks,
Natacha:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I saw lots of people with skulls on their clothes last week. I think anything with a bad saying or showing to much skin will not be allowed in.

Tick-Tock
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Heck, skulls fit in fine with the current pirates craze.

Jasper
05-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but someplace on the Disney World website there is a sort of "disclaimer" page that addresses some of these issues. While I obviously don't remember the exact wording I do know that in general they say that if you wear anything that shows too much skin they can ask you to leave or cover up and that any wording or image that is overly provocative can be a cause again for them to ask you to cover up, change, or leave. I would not necessarily take this to apply to things like skulls because you see so much of that. I would tend to think that something more in the political or religious arena that is overly negative would be the kind of thing they are talking about.

Basically common sense should prevail. There are two basic questions we always tell our kids that they should ask themselves before deciding if they should wear something or not. The first question is would they be uncomfortable having their parents, grandparents, etc. seeing them wear that item. And secondly, why are they wanting to wear it? In other words if they are wearing it just to get a strong reaction out of someone else then they should probably not wear it.

Imagineer1981
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Skulls are actually very common in fashion, a current trend. As long as the shirt is not offensive, as in extremely graphic or has foul language, it will be fine

Septbride2002
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
The Pirate stuff is so big right now she'll fit right in!

~Amanda

Marilyn Michetti
05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm an old lady, so modesty is important to me. Bikini tops aren't allowed inside the parks, and men have to wear shirts. I "think" those are the major rules, but decency, (to me), says, "if body parts are squeezing out, the clothes should be a size larger".:blush:

crltkcagle
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
The one thing I can tell you what to wear is nice clothes. I am not saying Sunday best but geez some people walk around in rags! I was astonished by what some people chose to go out in public wearing especially while on vacation. It's called pride people.

Gator
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Since there's kids there, I say don't where something that would be rated R in a film. Skulls, blood, guts, any kind of nudity just shouldn't be seen at Disney.

Also, no matter how overcast it looks, never ever wear a long sleeve shirt. You'll be hot as the :thedolls:

WhiteRose1
05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd avoid shirts that are overall darkly covered. I say this every time..but I still seem to find a way to pack at least one black shirt...then I get down there, unpack, and groan..."I did it again!"

If you are used to FL Temperatures, ignore this!

If you are not from east coast southern US or a more tropical humid area, you have no idea what HOT is till you experience Orlando in Mid-August....(I remember reading a post from someone up 'north' wondering how many sweatshirts should she bring in September to Orlando....)

disneylovinmom
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
As long as you don't wear anything too revealing or vulgar, then you should be ok. :thumbsup: Also, don't wear high heeled shoes to stomp all over WDW in. I can't tell you how many ladies wear the most uncomfortable looking shoes. :confused: They might look nice, but their feet have to be screaming in agony!!

RockinRollerMom
05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Once when I entered MK there was a young man in front of me wearing a t-shirt with a swear on it. Well he didn't make it but half way down Main St. before a CM told him to turn his shirt inside out.

katzctkpt
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm an old lady, so modesty is important to me. Bikini tops aren't allowed inside the parks, and men have to wear shirts. I "think" those are the major rules, but decency, (to me), says, "if body parts are squeezing out, the clothes should be a size larger".:blush:

:ditto: I will also say anything containing nudity, vulgar language, obscene gestures etc... Definately comfy shoes no high heels.

HndrdPrcnt
05-13-2008, 12:15 AM
DO NOT wear new shoes!!!!:thumbsup:

Mousemates
05-13-2008, 12:30 AM
on a hot florida day, ;)try not to wear your feelings on your sleeve;)....it will not only make you feel miserable...but those around you as well.

pink
05-13-2008, 01:28 AM
I agree, you're crazy if you decide to wear new tennis shoes!

Heck, skulls fit in fine with the current pirates craze.

Skulls are in right now. She will fit in just fine.:mickey:

letsdoitagain
05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
You shouldn't wear turtle necks in August.:D

KineGirl
05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
no Universal themed clothes ;)

SurferStitch
05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Bikini tops aren't allowed inside the parks, and men have to wear shirts. I "think" those are the major rules, but decency, (to me), says, "if body parts are squeezing out, the clothes should be a size larger".:blush:

Oh, if only they stuck to the "no bikini tops" rule....we saw several bodies that had no business being in a bikini top, just strutting through the parks....:sick:.

makin_memories
05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Oh, if only they stuck to the "no bikini tops" rule....we saw several bodies that had no business being in a bikini top, just strutting through the parks....:sick:.

haha, the parks are bad, but the water parks are terrible! there sure is alot of confident people out there... and alot of speedos. :sick:

baby minnie's mommy
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
When you stand shoulder-to-shoulder in line for 45 minutes, you easily notice every detail on someone's clothes. :) If the "designs" you mentioned are offensive, remember you'll have people VERY close that will definitely be able to see it.

As someone else mentioned, black is very hot to wear. My DH complains about it when he wears a dark-colored Grumpy shirt. So if you're uncomfortable with what she wears, that may be a polite excuse to get her to wear something else. :cool:

Charlee
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Your sister sounds like she wears the same sort of clothes as me - I admit, I am an "alternative" looking person but I deeply love Disney and would never intend to offend someone in the parks. I don't own offensive t-shirts - but a lot with tattoo inspired motifs, comic book characters and of course Disney stuff but mainly Tink and Nightmare Before Xmas stuff.

I often wear things with skulls on in fact I am wearing two items today purchased from Disney. I have a POTC film t-shirt bought from the Disney Store, that just has the skull and cross bones on and a Tinkerbell hoodie where she is sitting on a skull bought from the Emporium on Main Street.

If Disney sells items with skulls on I don't think it can be considered as offensive to wear it in the parks.

KAJUNKING
05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
i think shell be fine with what you described, but she may get hot

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I usually wear tanks in the parks because of the heat. I try to stay away from too dark of colors because they get really hot.

As far as the skulls....last year I bought a t-shirt in MK that said I LOVE JACK and it has skulls all over the front of the shirt.

Like several others have said as long as it doesn't have any offensive language or nudity it should be fine.

Taja
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
You didn't say which month in spring, but assuming it's going to be warm and pushing humid...

Tell her to try to avoid dark colours. This is from someone whose entire wardrobe is based around black. It looks good on me and it's easy to coordinate. However, it can be rather uncomfortable with the sun beating down on you for hours in the parks. Even I lighten up to a few pairs of khakis at WDW in the heat and stick to jewel tone tops. Pastels, white and I are not friends. *LOL*

Recommend that she not wear jeans or denim shorts in the heat. Same thing. They attract and retain heat and are very heavy. Take a pair or two for evenings if she wants, but overall not a good choice for heat and humidity.

Beyond that, just use common sense. If she's going to get wet on a ride, white probably is not the best colour to wear--or any light colour with bright or patterned undergarments.

Beyond that, tell your sister that you love her no matter what she wears. However, she'll be much more comfortable in lighter weight and colour clothing, but she certainly should bring a couple of her favourites to wear if the weather is cooler or in the evening.

wire0monkey
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Skulls are fine.

They sell "skull" t-shirts and Jack Skellington merchandise and other Nightmare themed merchandise outside the Haunted Mansion.

They sell lots of skull merchandise at the gift shop outside Pirates of the Caribbean.

My husband bought a tshirt with a huge skull and crossbones on it that says "The beatings will continue until morale improves" at the POC gift shop last year.

Gothic fashion of all types is welcome in the parks as long as it's not too short, skimpy, or vulgar. As a matter of fact, a lot of Goths in California hold a "Bats in the Park" day at Disneyland every year.

Swear words and "naughty" shirts with sex jokes should be better be left at home. If you wouldn't want to have to explain the shirt to a four year old, please be assured that neither do the four year old's parents.

Have fun. Everyone is welcome in the Magic Kingdom.

Belle_0717
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
She will be fine in her current wardrobe. I try to wear something very "kid" friendly especially at the MK. Lady & The Tramp or Belle or Tink!

DH has the Pumbaa shirt - "It Wasn't Me"! He wore it on our honeymoon and REFUSES to wear it now because of all the comments he gets - joking comments of course!

OF COURSE IT WAS HIM!

beksy
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I'd agree with the others that pirates are "in" now so skulls are fine. I'd just go with the rule someone mentioned about not wanting to explain it to a kid! Also avoid high heels! It amazes me every time we go how many people we see in high heels and other uncomfortable looking clothes (especially shoes or Sunday-style clothes)! Its a theme park--be clean and comfy!:mickey:

beachezncream
05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
they sell shirts with skulls on them at the potc gift shop dont they?

so i think she will be fine.:thumbsup:

Magic Smiles
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
The one thing I can tell you what to wear is nice clothes. I am not saying Sunday best but geez some people walk around in rags! I was astonished by what some people chose to go out in public wearing especially while on vacation. It's called pride people.

I thought the exact same thoughts on our visit a couple of weeks ago. Some of the clothes people were wearing should have been in the garbage. If you can afford a trip to Disney, then you should be able to afford clothes that are not worn, torn and dirty.

KineGirl
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
no Shrek or Spongebob please ;) save those for the OTHER :sick: place

Tink#64
05-21-2008, 11:58 PM
This is a great thread!

It really irks me, although I think they are cute & would love to have them for my DS's, The Thing 1 & Thing 2, ect. shirts & other Universal themed clothes just are a thorn in my side in the Disney parks! Don't ask me why, I guess I'm just defensive of WDW!

Once when I entered MK there was a young man in front of me wearing a t-shirt with a swear on it. Well he didn't make it but half way down Main St. before a CM told him to turn his shirt inside out.

Yay for the CM! They have tough jobs & they are amazing!

they sell shirts with skulls on them at the potc gift shop dont they?

so i think she will be fine.:thumbsup:

My oldest DS 12, is so into anything with skulls, it's just fashion, not anything morbid! Tons of stuff with skulls in WDW! Younger DS 10 bought a cool looking cap in The Chapeau Shop on Main Street that had a skull on it just a few weeks ago!

I thought the exact same thoughts on our visit a couple of weeks ago. Some of the clothes people were wearing should have been in the garbage. If you can afford a trip to Disney, then you should be able to afford clothes that are not worn, torn and dirty.

I know it's very judgemental on my part, but I do look at some of these people & how they are dressed and present themselves to the world & wonder if they could afford this trip, including some at the resorts!, then it seems that they could dress with a little more care! We're not dressed up, we're all in blue jean shorts or khaki's, DS's in basketball shorts, & our "nicer" (usually alot are new bought for the trip:blush:) t-shirts.

The women in heels? OM Gosh, can they really be comfy? Not me, Gotta have my tennis shoes, as much as I love my Crocs, I wore them to DTD & then to Epcot the next day & finally got a blister on one toe! :mad: Maybe other people aren't as sensitive to these things as we all seem to be? Or maybe they really didn't stop & think about walking 13 miles in heels! Not my business, really don't care, maybe I'm just jealous & wonder how the heck they do that? :silly:

Von-Drake
05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
There used to be a website out called badshoe.com (it has not been updated in years) and it has pictures of some bad looking shoes spotted at WDW.

TheMartellFamily
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I would never where heals in the parks, hey I do not even wear them now walking around day to day. I see some of the guests wear clothes that are way to short, the waists down around their knees so underwear shows, heeley (do not get me started on that), and other shirts that have two meanings with sayings on them all which I feel unacceptable in an area with young kids.

Dragongirlx
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I totally agree about the heels.

My sister wore sandals with a heel last year and they really hurt her feet (despite me telling her repeatedly not to wear them).

She then spent most of the rest of the day complaining till I made her buy crocs and wear them!

It was that or push her in front of BTMR:silly:

magicofdisney
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd say stay away from stilettos. :doh:

We were at AK Tuesday and I saw a girl with platform stilettos and wondered what on earth she was thinking with that get-up on. :confused:

mickey&missy
05-22-2008, 06:18 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Exactly what I was thinking! It shocks me what people wear!

What also really gets me is women walking around in less then family friendly outfits! Hello ladies! Its WDW not a night club!

CandleontheWater
05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't wear short skirts. Climbing in and out of ride vehicles + short skirts = :blush:

I saw some teenage girls in March that were absolutely dressed to the nines in clubbing dresses, heels and acessories. They were obviously freezing (it was only 50 degrees), and it was really windy so they were trying their darndest not to flash other guests. I'd save the trendy stuff for DTD!

DisneyDudet
05-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I have been trying to wear some nicer clothes to the parks in the past few years. Since I am into photopass and taking pictures, I want something nice to look at. I used to wear Old Naby tanks and Sofee (cheerleading type athletic) shorts, but it is just getting old. I now try to wear some nicer shorts, but the tanks are still ok to wear with them.

Wal-Mart (at least a new one by my house) is selling some nice Disney tops and cute tank tops for cheap. I've picked up some shirts from there, for WDW and my Disney cruise. I will go back and get some tank tops, since I hate sleeves when its hot!

diz_girl
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I actually like to wear skirts to the park. Mind you, they are comfortable, knee-length A-line chino skirts or ankle-length linen skirts. They are very comfortable and cool, so getting a draft works in your favor. I wear them with a plain tee and either sneakers or Danskos (Monika sandal). I'll also bring a light sweater for indoor restaurants and cooler nights. That's my uniform for WDW.

As for shorts, some people should definitely look into long shorts. I never eat cottage cheese, but if I did, a walk through the parks in the summer would put me off it for life.

goofynmd
05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
DH, DS and I were having our picture taken with Woody and the CM asked my husband to get out of the picture or cover his shirt. It was a green T-shirt with the name of a beer on it. I always help DH pack for vacation (he calls me his fashion co-ordinator :blush:) and it never occured to me that this T-shirt would be a problem. Next time I will make sure no alcohol shirts are packed. :beer:

prttynpnk
05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
I would just like to know that more foundation garments are being worn- can I get an 'amen' for bras?!

Ladyvader
05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
haha, the parks are bad, but the water parks are terrible! there sure is alot of confident people out there... and alot of speedos. :sick:

This is the funniest thing ever. As part of the Dream Squad sometimes we gave out prizes at Typhoon Lagoon and I can remember trying so much to not look at anything!!! Seems like the people that should not wear the speedos and bikinis always had them on!

As far as skulls on a shirt they are no problem, if the shirt is too graphic or obscene a cast member will ask the guest to turn the shirt inside out. But we would much rather not have to ask, so maybe leave those shirts at home.
I do recommend lighter colors in the summer as the dark shirt will make for a miserable day no matter how much you love it.

alilprincessmom99
05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't think the skulls would be considered offensive, it is a new craze! I think that anything on the offensive side or the provacative side is what would be prohibited at WDW.

Mousefever
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I would just like to know that more foundation garments are being worn- can I get an 'amen' for bras?!

I'm a fan. I'm also a fan of comfortable shoes.

Amy

:dory:

offwego
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
You'll be fine with the skulls, depending on the time of year the black might be a bit warm. I will however own up to wearing heels in the parks from time to time..but I do wear them all the time and all over the place. In fact I suspect me feet would be lost in a pair of flats should a pair land on my feet. The point with shoes is to wear a pair that are comfy to you and broken in based on your walking style

RSGBSG2002
05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Seems like the people that should not wear the speedos and bikinis always had them on!

I'm overweight. I dress accordingly.

I understand that dressing in clothing that is too small or too revealing looks disgusting and lowclass. Just because I can squeeze into smaller clothes, doesn't mean I should.

Why can't more people undestand that?

And yes, a bra is not an option for "larger" people: it HAS to be worn. I've seen quite a few people wearing tank tops and nothing else up top while I was on vacation. I don't understand the complete lack of modesty these people have.

Figment1988
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
skulls are ok, but anything offensive is not. i have heard of a park guest being asked to leave for wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt once.

stitcherbelle
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I think the skull will fit right in with the pirate theme! If you are going into the magic kingdom two days I would wear it there or any other park is fine! I mean as long as it doesn't have foul language i think it will be fine!:mickey:

Lakin
09-27-2009, 01:19 PM

You would think so. :-o I can't tell you how many Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts I saw on my last trip.

A skull on the shirt will be fine - she'll fit in just fine with the Pirate fans. But, if you question it too much, I would just save her the trouble and tell her not to wear it.

Iluvpooh
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm sure it will be fine. I've seen quite a few "darker" chicks in the parks recently. New teen trend, I guess.
The only thing I think more people should wear that they don't is deodorant.:confused:

Granny Jill A
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM

As one "old" lady to another :exactly: I agree with you. Especially the "body parts squeezing out" line.

Save the bare skin for the bedroom.

Giggy
09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Last time we went my brother took several Iron Maiden t-shirts. Some of them are a little...dark in their theme. It didn't seem to be an issue except that Donald Duck may have been scared of him.

TikiLounger
09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I agree with what most of the posters before me have said. Skulls are fine...they're in...and Pirates are VERY in. Now that I'm thinking of it, Rockin Roller Coaster sells a lot of black tees, too. I don't really think it matters what anyone else chooses to wear in the parks. As long as there's no offensive language or explicit pictures...
As far as "fashion" goes, I try not to notice what other people wear. They are on vacation to have fun and it's really not any of my business what they're wearing. I trust that most people can decide for themselves if they're comfortable or not. It really doesn't concern me if someone else is wearing black, the "wrong" shoes, whatever. We're all there to have fun...who cares about clothes as long as they're decent? It's not like we're ever going to see these people again...we're all just guests at the parks, trying to have fun. I say live and let live...

disneykid@hrt
09-29-2009, 01:09 AM
As a person with "more to love" I have never understood why people insist on squeezing into clothing that they just have no business wearing. We always dress comfortably #1, but also somewhat upscale. You can go to Old Navy spend five bucks on a shirt that is cotton, comfy, loose fitting, trendy...

I can't understand why people would even waste their money on those offensive shirts with the explicit jokes/graohics. It's just disgusting. Is your wife impressed by that? Or do you think you're impressing anyone?? Save that for the garage, buddy!

And heels?? I couldn't imagine! You are one brave woman!:thumbsup:

Friend of Figment
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM
We have formulated 4 categories for clothing seen at WDW.
One: Foreign Guests - can't hold them to our cultural norms so they are exempt from judgement.
Two: Appropriate - comfortable, clean, correct size, suits the weather and does not appear to have been wadded up in the suitcase unwashed since they last visited.
Three: What were they thinking? - the opposite of a Two. (A special category of shame to parents who allow their tween daughters to dress like exotic dancers - I've worked in a prison for 11 years - trust me you do not want your young daughter to attract that kind of attention. The Disney Channel has a lot more incarcerated fans than you might want to think.)
Four: Jerks - this isn't really clothing dependent but is reserved for those who are mean to CMs or bellieve that a stroller is a battering ram that gives them aoutomatic right of way in any situation.
Now we can just call out numbers while people watching.

rubato
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I, too, have worn heels to DW. I have 4 inch espadrill sandals that I can wear all day long. I can run in them, and I can easily walk 10 miles in them. I recommend never wearing a shoe that's uncomfortable though.
I think people should wear clean, comfortable, and kid friendly clothing. Bras are a must for most (anyone above a B), but I don't want to see what color it is! I don't want to see crack either (you know who you are)! We also don't need any Paris Hilton moments, so if you are wearing a skirt or dress, please be aware that you will be getting in and out of rides!

ajpa
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
You know I don't mind what people wear -- as long as they showered!
Nothing worse than being stuck in a crowded line next to someone stinky!!!!
:faint:

azcavalier
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a couple of *bright* yellow UnderArmor/Nike DriFit shirts that I wear to the parks. My wife LOVES them. She can pick me out, no matter how large the crowd. :) And they're comfy, too.

BluewaterBrad
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Somewhere on these boards I read that "Jorts" are extremely discouraged!!:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Somewhere on these boards I read that "Jorts" are extremely discouraged!!:mickey:

Really?? I hadn't heard that. :rotfl:

Belster
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I wear skulls to the park...in fact I have a skull shirt I will be waering to MNSSHP. I think if it is tastfully done you will not have a problem.

BMan62
10-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Did you HAVE to bring THAT thread up again??? :thedolls:

Goes4FastPass
10-01-2009, 06:49 PM
BMan62, you're my hero, anyway,

What NOT to wear is JEANS
Really. Bue jeans.
Heavy cotton hot blue jeans.

D'ya ever see a guy getting off of Splash Mountain wearing wet jeans? Those will be dry... sometime tomorrow.

beksy
10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
D'ya ever see a guy getting off of Splash Mountain wearing wet jeans? Those will be dry... sometime tomorrow.

Hey, I think that was my dad! :blush:

Giselle
10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
High heels!! How do some people do this?

glenpreece
10-03-2009, 08:48 PM

LOL so true, I swear they are the only bathing suit option for British men.

BluewaterBrad
10-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Did you HAVE to bring THAT thread up again??? :thedolls:

Sorry Bman62. I could not resist!!:mickey: