PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Service vs Gift Shop

OhToodles!
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
We'll be staying at SSR this time (first time & using our incentive points) and want to know what is better/worse/easier/cheaper/etc. for getting items like milk, drinks, etc.? Using the grocery service or just purchasing them from the gift shop/market?
We'll be sending non-perishable and lighter snacks down ahead of time, (Also, is that just as easy to do at SSR as it is with any other resort?) but will want things like milk, maybe juice, soda, water, etc. Are the same things and sizes offered in the gift shop/market? (I don't want to buy tons of the little cartons of milk, I'd rather just buy something bigger.)
Also, with the grocery service, so you have to be in your room when they are delivered? Or can they just leave them there for you?

Kidsmom
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
We used a grocery service on our last visit. You don't have to be in the room. We was very easy.

Our only issue was the guy was 1 hour late (8-10am window) and we were waiting to make breakfast and then go to the park, so we got a late start that day.

We actually bought all of the cases of snacks also from them instead of shipping or bringing with us on the plane as we have previously done.

We were there for 8 nights (8 of us) so we needed LOTS of stuff, just for hot breakfasts and snacks for the room and parks. The best part was we bought lots of fresh fruit which is better from a grocery store than food court (and cheaper). We planned well and didn't have too much left over, except water. It was cool when we were there and didn't drink as much as we thought.

If just my family of 6 were going for a short 3 or 4 days, I probably wouldn't have done the grocery service. The longer trip, it makes more sense to me.

We did buy wine at the gift shop...not bad.

OhToodles!
05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
What service did you use?

fyi - We'll be staying for 5 nights.

Kidsmom
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't think I am allowed to mention them on this site since they are no longer sponsors.

But.... if you were google Walt Disney Grocery...it might be the 6th one?;)

There are other ones as well.

wendy*darling
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Another option is to use DVCs grocery service.
For simple items like milk and eggs- they are just fine.
Each DVC resort has it's own shopping list on the DVC website. Just print it out, fill in your order and fax it to them about 3-4 days before you arrive.
There is a $5 service fee (which is less than most grocery services). The selection is much more limited, but for the basics it is perfect.

We have used them several times for milk, juice, eggs, english muffins/bread, fresh fruit, etc. We usually pack some dry cereal, pop tarts, etc. in our luggage.
We don't eat in the room much- but some mornings it's easier to eat while we are getting ready. I make a hot breakfast once (maybe twice) during any trip. All other meals are in the parks or resorts.

Also- the mini-market in the gift shop has the larger sizes of milk, etc. It's not at all like buying the little cartons from a food court.

DVC delivers after 5pm- you do not have to be there. They will bring it in, refrigerate the cold items and leave the rest on the counter for you.

It's a decent deal if you are not making all of your meals in your villa.

Maleficent's Dad
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Linda, aka wendy*darling, beat me to the punch.

For sheer convenience, no service beats DVC's delivery - they put the stuff into your room and refrigerate anything that needs it (including bottled water).
No other delivery service brings it to your room if you're not present.

However, I wouldn't do a large shopping with DVC. Their selections are limited... especially when it comes to things like drinks.

If you use one of the outside services, they'll deliver to the resort. If you're not in your room they leave it with bell services (who will refrigerate for you).

The general stores at the resorts do have limited offerings. But when you buy through DVC - be it delivery or general store - they don't have large bulk items (ie: cases of water).

We usually do b'fast in the room - so we pack cereal, and purchase milk down there. It's the water that gets us in the wallet. We spend lots of money on those $2 water bottles in the park!!!

OhToodles!
05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone!

We'll just need it for smaller items - the only meal we'd be having in the room is breakfast and I doubt we'll be making a hot one every day.

I'll check out the other grocery services and weigh all my options.

Flower
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry to jump in, we are not DVC members (If I had my way we would be!!!)

Anyway, in September we used Garden Grocer and it was an absolutely wonderful experience!

We opted for the 8-10 am delivery time as our flight in would have been cutting it close time wise the night before. I was a tad disappointed that they were on the 10 am side of it, but they were there within the window and everything was delivered to our satisfaction, The produce was perfect.

With traveling with a baby in diapers and a toddler in pull-ups at night, I did not want to lug that, plus baby food, etc with us. It was convenient to have the soda & water delivered straight to our room, and cheaper too.

With their selection there probably would be no need for you to pre-ship a package to your resort!

Have a great trip!