PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Garage Sale Pricing Advice

alphamommy
05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
My MIL and I are having a garage sale this weekend. I have a complete set of Pfaltzgraff that I want to sell, with many of the serving dishes, etc. The pattern is Remembrance, which was discontinued several years ago.

How should I price this? Should I price it by the place setting, then price the serving pieces extra, or should I offer it as a complete set for one price? I've also been thinking about pricing the place settings and pieces, then having a sign with a "winner take all" price for the whole lot.

Any opinions?

BrerGnat
05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I would price and sell it as a set. The chances of someone coming to your garage sale, and happening to have that pattern, and needing just a few pieces is very rare. Someone would benefit from an entire set, most likely, especially if it is priced well.

MNNHFLTX
05-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I agree with Natalie--I think you should price it as a set. Removing even a few pieces from the set would diminish its value as a whole.

NotaGeek
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
As a set is a definite. I would also put an ads on Craig's list before the garage sale, that way people might happen upon it before, or be able to just come get it on the day of the sale.

MauiMouse
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Tammy, I'll send you a PM for a place where people go to find various pieces of place settings. It might help in regards to figuring out a price.

TheRustyScupper
05-14-2008, 12:04 AM
1) Go on eBay.
2) They have lots of Remembrance pieces.
3) Should give you a good pricing idea.

GrumpyFan
05-14-2008, 01:31 AM
I agree with the others, price as a set. My wife ran a catering business and we sold some stuff like this as a set, at a decent price. If it doesn't sell in your yard sale, I too would recommend Craigslist.

katzctkpt
05-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Look on ebay for pricing then sell as a set. Trying to sell individual pieces would really mess it up. If you don't sell it at the garage sell put it on ebay.

Dakota Rose
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I too would price it as a set. I've sold a lot of china at garage and estate sales. The general rule of thumb when it comes to selling used/vintage/antique china is to price it at 1/3 to 1/2 the insured or book value. So if the complete set is worth $1000, a reasonable price to pay would be $300 and no more than $500. Check out Replacements.com to find out the current insured/replacement value. When I'm selling a set, I print out replacement's price list and put it with the set so people see what an awesome deal they're getting. :)

wdwfansince75
05-15-2008, 08:53 PM
To check prices, I have always trusted Replacements Ltd, outside of Greensboro, NC. Great place to visit and browse. Their website is replacements.com. I swear thay have at least one of everything. Suspect that had Monty Python searched there, he would have found the grail! Or at least a reasonable facsimile. Remember that their posted price is their retail sell price....suspect that if you get 50 %, you are doing well.

wdwfansince75
05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey, Dakota Rose....you beat me to the punch! But it is a great place, and a great site.