PDA

View Full Version : Autism and Running

HulaMinnie
05-11-2008, 08:42 AM
To those parents of kids on the spectrum, have any of you had problems with your children running away from you? DS4 has just started this behavior and it is freaking me out. He has no fear. We have secured the house with extra locks, etc. and got him a medical id bracelet that says autism with our phone #s if God forbid he should get away from us.

If you have dealt with this, what else have you done? Thanks for any help.

Edited to add: This is making me very nervous about our WDW visit next month. In the past he has been great about using his stroller there, but I'm wondering now. I sawt hose little teddy bear alarms that attach to their shoe online and am thinking about that. Has anyone used one of those? Thanks.

Nate's Grandpa
05-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I know exactly how you feel.

Nate is autistic and loves to run also.
We have been considering an id tag that attaches to his shoes - Who's Shoes.
I read somewhere that cast members are trained to look at these if they come upon a lost child.

He has a backpack that has a long strap attached to it also. We let him wear it in the house to get used to the feel of it.

I just read an article in Autism/Aspergers's Digest that suggests buying a personal tracking device. I don't know exactly how they work, but I will check.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Jenemmy
05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Whooo boy - I have SO been where you are! My kiddo was quite the runner in his younger years. In fact, we called him Houdini because he could escape from almost anywhere. He had even been known to cause a distraction so he can attempt escape.

He is now 10 and MUCH much better about it...really outgrown it for the most part. And yet, I still don't totally trust him.

He did get away from us at WDW once when he was 3 -- scariest 10 minutes of my life! He has also gotten out of his school building in the past. Like you said -- he has NO fear. I however, have gray hair!!

I think these personal tracking devices are a relatively new thing... my technique was always to either have him strapped in a stroller or have my hands on him -- either holding his hand or hooking my finger through a belt loop or something of that sort. Even now when we walk, my hand hovers right next to him (cause it just isn't cool for Mom to hold on to him all the time anymore) and I will say he has honed my reflexes to where they are lightning fast! I might suggest a new toy in WDW to occupy him as you are walking. Those light chasers absolutely entrance my son along with anything Toy Story. I think he would hold something like that and be so absorbed in it that he would walk along with me and not think about running away.

Just remember when these behaviors pop up that freak you out....most of them are phases that will pass or get better -- or you will figure some way of overcoming them. I could write a book on all the phases my son has been through and habits we had to curb: stripping every bed he sees of all linens, emptying my silverware drawer every time my back was turned and then making me go on a treasure hunt throughout the house to find my spoons, having a little too much fun when walking past the ladies undergarment displays in department stores:secret: LOL -- Anyway -- you'll get past this, Mom!!! I am always here if you just want to chat with someone who understands!!

Von-Drake
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Our son love to run in department stores, but with one exception at Disney on our trip before last, he likes to return to his stroller immediately following a ride unless we tell him we are going to another close by (ie: Peter Pan to It's a Small World). I think he feels like his stroller is his little sanctuary ans "safe" place. The one time he got away, I was in the concierge line at Pop and DW went into the store. Our son said he wanted to stay with Daddy in line. Well as soon as mom got out of site in the store he took off. I made a mad dash after him ans when we all got back in line, the two gentlemen I was in front of, let us back in line, telling my wife she should be proud I can still move as fast as I did.

HulaMinnie
05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank you all SO much for your responses!

DS likes his stroller at WDW, too, for the same reasons you mention, Von-Drake. It gives him a little break from all the stimulation in there under the cover! I'm hoping he still likes it when we go next month.

I've been researching all the different things this weekend and I've ordered the little shoe alarm. You hold a small base on a keychain and if the child wanders you push the button and the alarm on the shoe sounds. I'm thinking if the alarm is shrill enough it may stop him in his tracks since he's so sensitive to sound. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

DH was researching the tracking devices, they look cool, but have some mixed reviews online. I will let you know how it works if we do buy one.

He has been tolerating the medical id bracelet very well. It doesn't seem to bother him and he hasn't tried to take it off. I just wonder if someone would bother to look at it if he got lost? I think maybe the shoe tags you mention, Nate's Grandpa, are a good idea because they'd be more readily noticed and if they're trained to look for them at WDW that's even better. They look like they velcro on, though, and I wonder if DS would take them off...

It's encouraging to think this is something that he will eventually outgrow, Jenemmy! I'm right there with you on the toy idea to keep him busy - I ordered one of those little handheld Disney video games for him for our trip. DD8 has the princess one and he loves it. I took it with us when we had to go out to a dinner for my DBIL's company and it kept him occupied the whole time. DD is not so thrilled about him using it, naturally, so I ordered the Mickey one for him.

Just trying to keep one step ahead of him to keep him safe and happy. Whew!

Thanks again. I love this board.

Von-Drake
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking if the alarm is shrill enough it may stop him in his tracks since he's so sensitive to sound. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
I would have a difficult time with this personally. I mean I would hate to do anything to upset him more. He will probably already be upset on some level once he realizes no one he knows is around him. But at the aspect of finding him fast I can see where it might be a good idea.

He has been tolerating the medical id bracelet very well. It doesn't seem to bother him and he hasn't tried to take it off. I just wonder if someone would bother to look at it if he got lost? I think maybe the shoe tags you mention, Nate's Grandpa, are a good idea because they'd be more readily noticed and if they're trained to look for them at WDW that's even better. They look like they velcro on, though, and I wonder if DS would take them off...
I would think the medical alert bracelet would be noticed and recognized much faster than something on the shoes.

I am interested in hearing your reviews on the locater devices if you plan to go that route and get one.

HulaMinnie
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I would have a difficult time with this personally. I mean I would hate to do anything to upset him more. He will probably already be upset on some level once he realizes no one he knows is around him. But at the aspect of finding him fast I can see where it might be a good idea.

You're right, I wouldn't want to upset him further.

DH went ahead and ordered the ion kids tracking device this morning before he left for work. He said the range is 200 feet indoors and 350 outside. The parent holds onto the base and the child wears a wristband. You set it for the distance you want and if they wander beyond it, it beeps. The base shows an arrow indicating the direction they are from you.

I hope it works out. I'll let you know.

Von-Drake
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
DH went ahead and ordered the ion kids tracking device this morning before he left for work. He said the range is 200 feet indoors and 350 outside. The parent holds onto the base and the child wears a wristband. You set it for the distance you want and if they wander beyond it, it beeps. The base shows an arrow indicating the direction they are from you.
I hope it works out. I'll let you know.

Just went to their website and read the information about this product. Sounds like it might fit the bill. I have a feeling my son always wanting to be in his stroller when not on a ride at Disney, might just be a phase. As with all children different challenges present themselves as they change, grow and develop. Who knows I might have to look at something like this before long. And it certainly beats the "child on a leash" systems. ( I hate ... [I mean I am using the word "hate" here] seeing a parent holding a retractable leash device and the other end is a child in a harness, or it is strapped to their wrist, waist, etc...)

thrillme
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
My nephew was quite like that. Very unexpectedly he took out. My sister-in-law became quite a sprinter.

One of those kid tracking devices would be great.

Fortunately over the course of years and some changes to his meds...he's grown out of that.

mook3y
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Just starting to learn in the last couple months about the spectrum. Prior to learning about Aspergers, we just learned how to handle our DS by trial and error.

He was so easily distracted and would run off after things that we have learned to watch him like a hawk. Some days, no problems, but others you look away 2 seconds and he is no where in sight.

Anyways, I digress, just always helps to read about things our DS does and realize we are not the only ones dealing with these kinds of behaviors.

There is a website where you can order customized wrist bands, like the "live strong" ones. They are rubbery and comfortable. You can have them imprinted with anything you want. Like childs name and your cell phone number(s).

PM if you would like a link.

Mickey'sGirl
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
DS9 never ran -- but DS4 has been running since he could walk. Just shows how varied the spectrum can be! We have all had to be vigilant -- his complete disregard for safety is the single greatest concern for us and for his therapists. In March he "ran" as we were heading down to the pool -- kicked off his shoes and ran right into the pool... He can't swim however, so thank goodness DH is fast and got there just as DS4 did....and now both the boys are in private swimming lessons just in case there is a repeat performance.

This is an interesting thread -- and there are lots of great ideas being discussed. Unfortunately, DS4 has huge sensory issues and would never agree to wearing any kind of device or band directly on himself. I have often thought of the medic alert bracelets and necklaces -- but there is NO way he would wear them -- I'll be interested to read about the experience with the beeper.

mook3y
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
DS9 never ran -- but DS4 has been running since he could walk. Just shows how varied the spectrum can be! We have all had to be vigilant -- his complete disregard for safety is the single greatest concern for us and for his therapists. In March he "ran" as we were heading down to the pool -- kicked off his shoes and ran right into the pool... He can't swim however, so thank goodness DH is fast and got there just as DS4 did....and now both the boys are in private swimming lessons just in case there is a repeat performance.

This is an interesting thread -- and there are lots of great ideas being discussed. Unfortunately, DS4 has huge sensory issues and would never agree to wearing any kind of device or band directly on himself. I have often thought of the medic alert bracelets and necklaces -- but there is NO way he would wear them -- I'll be interested to read about the experience with the beeper.

Boy that just reminded me of our last trip to WDW. we were at VWL at the quiet pool when he took off running from where we were at, and promptly jumped in the pool. I was already in movement before he jumped in, but yet another thing I never associated with Aspergers but is making more sense all of the time.

He is a bright boy, but boy he has no fear. He will trying something just to see what will happen.

HulaMinnie
05-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Boy that just reminded me of our last trip to WDW. we were at VWL at the quiet pool when he took off running from where we were at, and promptly jumped in the pool. I was already in movement before he jumped in, but yet another thing I never associated with Aspergers but is making more sense all of the time.

Sorry, I obviously don't have the quote thing figured out yet -

Oh, this is the stuff my nightmares are made of. Prayers and pixie dust to you both and for all children with autism and their families. You do feel like you have to keep all your senses constantly alert and ready to respond, don't you?

DS's therapist says it's a phase and may actually be a good sign because sometimes when one area regresses another area advances. I hope she's right!

I was surprised that he has been so accepting of the id bracelet. The tracking device I'm not so sure he'll wear. I'm just desperate to keep him safe - we live near a very busy road. We'll see.