PDA

View Full Version : When animatronic (sp?) break down....

dnickels
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I was on Spaceship Earth Sunday evening and noticed that the violinist and other musician were gone but they'd been there less than a week earlier (I live nearby so I go quite a bit).

I guess this question would be for a cast member, but are the figures in most rides modular in the sense that they can be removed from the ride and fixed while the ride continues?

Buttercup
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I would imagine they are.
I remember one trip I went on POTC. You know the part where there are 3 pirates singing along with a donkey? Well one of the pirates had a different head (the chubby pirate)! His body was still tubby but his head was from a much slimmer animatronic!
I guess that head was "filling in" while the other one was out being repaired! :D

Gator
05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I haven't seen the animatronic break down, but I've been at Mickey's Philharmagic when the sound went out. You could here the big fans turning on and off for the wind effect, and you could hear the spray machines for the water and scent effects. It was definitely NOT magical.

disneylovinmom
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
We rode EE one time and the Yeti didn't move like it was supposed to. It just had strobe lights behind it. We went on it again and it did move that time.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
On Dinosaur, they can remove them. The brontasaurus was missing last time I rode. They even editted the sound track so that nothing was said about it but the car did make the stop there. It was weird and even more scary since everything was all the mean dinosaurs and no nice ones!!

TheRustyScupper
05-10-2008, 02:19 PM
1) Of course, AA breakdowns do cause a problem.
2) Maintenance has a nightly regime of fix up.
3) The most severe breakdowns are handled by taking AA's off the line.
4) Then they can be repaired or retired.

NOTE: In some cases, broken and retired AA's are let out into the public domain and they enter Politics, where they can use their pre-programming to say and do the same things over and over as long as they please the public.

big blue and hairy
05-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I would imagine they are.
I remember one trip I went on POTC. You know the part where there are 3 pirates singing along with a donkey? Well one of the pirates had a different head (the chubby pirate)! His body was still tubby but his head was from a much slimmer animatronic!
I guess that head was "filling in" while the other one was out being repaired! :D
The dog that barked along with them has been gone for a while now. I'm curious to see if he's out of the pound after the refurb.

:sulley:

Suz36
05-10-2008, 06:10 PM
During our last trip, we went on IASW at the beginning of the week and noticed that one of the Hawaiian girls was not hula-ing. Later in the week we went on again, and she was gone!

sainter
05-10-2008, 09:46 PM
1)
NOTE: In some cases, broken and retired AA's are let out into the public domain and they enter Politics, where they can use their pre-programming to say and do the same things over and over as long as they please the public.

I think I met one of them once!!:)

AHOTE
05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
The day was April 18th, one day after my BD :cake:, but I can't remember the exact year. It was in the early 90's. Abraham Lincoln had a major meltdown in the Hall of Presidents. He was at the end of his speech and as he began to sit down his hips didn't bend so he laid down across the back of the chair. It was quite entertaining. Everyone got a good laugh out of it. :laughing: A clip of it was shown on TV on one of the blooper shows not too long ago.

SpecJoe Magic
05-11-2008, 07:40 AM
The day was April 18th, one day after my BD :cake:, but I can't remember the exact year. It was in the early 90's. Abraham Lincoln had a major meltdown in the Hall of Presidents. He was at the end of his speech and as he began to sit down his hips didn't bend so he laid down across the back of the chair. It was quite entertaining. Everyone got a good laugh out of it. :laughing: A clip of it was shown on TV on one of the blooper shows not too long ago.

I remember seeing that on TV. I think it was on America's Funniest Home Videos. It was quite bizarre. I can only imagine what it would be like to see that in person. :haha:

mrsgaribaldi
05-13-2008, 04:32 AM
I just watched it on you tube, it was quite funny. I searched for "Abe Lincoln malfunctioning Hall of Presidents". I love the Hall of Presidents. They look so real it's actually creepy for mr:blush:

AHOTE
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I just watched it on you tube, it was quite funny. I searched for "Abe Lincoln malfunctioning Hall of Presidents". I love the Hall of Presidents. They look so real it's actually creepy for mr:blush:

Yeah it is a real Disney Classic for sure. When it started to happen the place got real quite and when people realized what was going on they started to laugh. We still :laughing: about it when we reminisce and we joke about what animatronic mishape may occur on our next visit. I doubt we'll ever be that lucky again :faint: