PDA

View Full Version : Picking Up Trash in the Parks

PeterPan
05-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Another thread started making me think, and I have a questions for you wonderful INTERCOTTERS:

How many of you are so passionate and caring about our lovely, magical Disney Parks, that you have actually taken the time and effort to pick up someone else's trash?

I just wonder...

KineGirl
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh yes! Some trips more so than others. Though if the culprit is still in the area Im not scared to tell them they dropped something. Not just there but on my daily walks on the beach here at home. I bring 2 bags - 1 for sea glass/ treasures and 1 for trash. Im lucky to fill a corner of a bag with treasures while the trash bag is always overflowing. I know I walk by the same trash cans as all those ppl who left that stuff there!

biodtl
05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I do it, too. I hate litter.

Though if the culprit is still in the area Im not scared to tell them they dropped something.

I do the same thing! I'll act all innocent and helpful like I don't realize they were littering - and a lot of the time, it shames them into taking care of it!

Von-Drake
05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh yes! Some trips more so than others. Though if the culprit is still in the area Im not scared to tell them they dropped something.

Same here, no problem letting someone know they [I]"accidentally"[I] dropped something.

Stich8818
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I have to admit I do too..But..I dont even say anything I just do. I get strange looks sometimes. Im thinking to myself "im not the one who dropped it" Its funny a couple of times the street sweepers would give me Mickey stickers if they seen me doing it. They all had big smiles.

Tinkerfreak
05-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I too have been known to do this. It just bothers me no matter where I am. There are trash cans all over the place. I'm sorry but nobody is in that much of a hurry that they can't take a second to throw their trash in the trash can. Unless someone is dying or bleeding (I guess I could let that slide;)) then use the trash can!!!!

grumpyguy
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
oh yeah,without a doubt!i wouldn't say i felt so inclined to do so on my first "adult" trip,but after being bitten by the disney bug and having a tremendous level of appreciation for the joy wdw brings me i feel a small sense of responsibilitie to help keep my magical place clean every time i get to go back.:mickey:

mjstaceyuofm
05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
All the time.... Like a previous poster said, my wife and I are also very vocal about letting people know where a trash can is if we catch a litterbug in process.

iceicebritney
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
many times. and once i even yelled at some people who were throwing their ice cream wrappers into the lake in frontier land. that stuff really ticks me off!! :mad:

there are more than enough garbage cans convinently placed throughout the world.

GrumpyFan
05-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes, I will pick up trash in the parks, and sometimes I will pick up something I saw somebody drop and kindly hand it back to them and let them know they dropped it.

It really amazes me how many people both in and out of the parks think that it's ok to throw their trash wherever and that someone will pick it up. I really don't understand these people's mentallity, I mean, what if everybody behaved like them? I shutter to think what their house looks like.

Gator
05-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I go to WDW so I don't have to pick up trash. I do that enough where I work.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
You almost can't help it by default sometimes. We always seeem to get the CS meals where people do not clean up after their meal. GROSS! Other than that, if there is something I can do about picking up after someone if I am already going to the trash anyway why not? It amazes me that people think that if they are on vacation they should not have to clean up after themselves is absurd. If you don't guess who cleans it up? Sometimes CM's but alot of times it is other people on vacation too. Guess what, those people paid to be on vacation also and don't want to be maids to a bunch of slobs.

SBETigg
05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes, I have picked up other people's trash in the parks and resorts. Not that I make it a habit to scan the area for trash, but when I come across it if it's in easy reach (a lot of it is not) I have picked it up and put it in the appropriate bin. I've left it on occasion, too. I'm on vacation, not on litter patrol, but I try to do some small part to help.

illini
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I've picked it up before as well. Not every time, but frequently.
I'm also not above picking up someone's discarded trash, rushing up to them, and saying, "Ooooh, here ya go! You dropped this!" Like they did it on accident. :rolleyes:

BluewaterBrad
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I have to admit we do too. I would like to be able to say I do it all the time in the real world, and I do, but at Disney I am so passionate about what a wonderful place it is that I must pick up just about everything I see. The MAGIC works in mysterious ways!!:mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I've noticed that the queue for Dumbo gets very "trashy."

If we don't keep our trash off the ground, the next step could be that they won't let us bring food and drinks in the queues, period. And that wouldn't be fun, because I like to enjoy my beverage/popcorn while in line to help with the long waits!

I don't usually pick up after someone else, but DH once told a boy not to drop his banana peel on the parking lot while walking to one of the parks. When the boy ignored it, DH told the parents. They could probably tell by DH's tone that he was NOT amused. I kinda felt bad they started their day fussing at the boy, but it would be an even worse day for the person that slipped on it and fell!

conwayjohn71
05-10-2008, 03:56 PM
We do and I have taught my DD's to do the same

We walk our dog each night around the neighborhood and always take a trash bag with us and fill it up every night

In June 2007 we were at WDW walking down main street and our oldest DD 7 at the time noticed a stroller lost some trash, she walked across the street, picked it up and threw it in the trash, then came running back across with a smile of accomplishment......

She asked me if that was a good thing she did and would Mickey be happy and before I could answer a CM in a suit walked up to her and handed her the tinker belle share pins, I think it said something about doing something good and seeing someone else do something good......she never did share, but she also got a certificate

beachezncream
05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I do it too haha , My parents give me wierd looks sometimes like "Lindsay what are you doing?! Whyyyy are you touching that" :confused: but ive seen them do it a time or two.. its kinda like we are the Disney Protectors :grouphug: :thumbsup: go us!.. although the street cleaners do a wonderful job, and i dont want to step on their toes.. but if i see someone drop something and theres a trash can three feet away.. its pretty ridiculous.:angry:

pwdebbie
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
In June 2007 we were at WDW walking down main street and our oldest DD 7 at the time noticed a stroller lost some trash, she walked across the street, picked it up and threw it in the trash, then came running back across with a smile of accomplishment......

She asked me if that was a good thing she did and would Mickey be happy and before I could answer a CM in a suit walked up to her and handed her the tinker belle share pins, I think it said something about doing something good and seeing someone else do something good......she never did share, but she also got a certificate

My husband also got one of those pins. The server at Le Cellier dropped a straw wrapper off his tray and my dh bent over and picked it up. The hostess came over and gave him the Pixie Dust pin with instructions to catch someone else doing a good deed and give them the other pin.

Yes, we do pick up trash when we see it. Everyone is right, with all the trashcans available, there is no reason to throw trash on the ground.

Deb

dolphinmickey9170
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
After going throught the Keys to the Kingdom tour, I find myself picking up some items if I find them missing from their trashcans. Claudia, our tour guide, instilled in us the Disney Way!! I do, however, have my limits as to what I have/will pickup.

Mousemates
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
yeah,I've picked up a few stray items here and there at the parks and bussed a few tables to provide my family (and on a a couple of occasions complete strangers) with a place to eat. But, i can also walk past someone elses mess and not feel guilty about leaving it for the cm's to do their work.

kjmelak
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
A little bit off the subject, but is it true that the trash cans are emptied from below, the reason you never see someone emptying the trash cans?

kelly.garrett
05-13-2008, 03:45 AM
A little bit off the subject, but is it true that the trash cans are emptied from below, the reason you never see someone emptying the trash cans?

Yes, that is true. There are pipes and tubes underground in the "Utilidors" that empty out the trash and carry it to a collecting station away from the park.

I got my info from this video. (http://www.firstcoastnews.com/video/player.aspx?aid=99587&bw=) IMPORTANT: The video touches on a couple other behind the scenes topics, so if you don't want to know, don't click!

KAT1811
05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I do the same thing! I'll act all innocent and helpful like I don't realize they were littering - and a lot of the time, it shames them into taking care of it!

I too pick up litter strewn over the World (even in the real world). I have also given people back their "accidentally" discarded trash. I love to see their embarassed looks, if you are embarassed why do it in the first place? People continue to baffle me. :confused:

wdwfan
05-14-2008, 01:32 PM
We always pick up trash/litter when we see it. We're pretty careful about how we pick it up, but just don't like seeing it. I just don't get how people can be so rude and not throw in trash can, since there everywhere. :confused: