PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth removal

pink
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone. This week I've been a absolute medical nightmare! However, the worst part of it is that one of the wisdom teeth has started to surface and it's impacted so I have to get it removed this Friday. I have the option of going under anthesia or just taking the novacaine shot- does anyone have any suggestions?

The tooth isn't all the way up yet- it looks like half of it is still in the gums. My teeth are so irrated right now my gums are flaming red and it hurts to swallow in the morning without pain killers not to mention chew.

I'm really nervous because I've never had any oral surgery before and I would love to hear some of your experiences or tips for afterwards. Thanks! :mickey:

Dakota Rose
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they put me out. Mine weren't impacted, which I understand can be very painful. I had a tooth removed last month (I broke it) and my dentist just used novocaine. That was fine because the tooth was already dead so I couldn't feel much anyway. If you're having that much pain, I would suggest being put out. It's not fun having a shot in swollen gums.

When you come to, and for an hour or so after, you won't have any pain, and you'll think, "Wow this isn't so bad." Don't let that dissuade you from taking the pain killers they give you or keeping ice on your cheek. When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was living at home and my mom forced me to keep it iced. Smart woman because when I had my tooth out last month, I felt fine right after and didn't ice right away. BAD idea! The pain and swelling lasted much longer. My SMIL suggested gargling with warm salt water and though it tasted awful it really helped with the pain and irritation.

Good luck!

Madame Leona
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I would ask what the doctor would do if he/she was in your position. They would probably know best. I had my wisdom teeth removed and was knocked out but they were growing underneath my other teeth so I didn't have an option. My mom had all four of hers pulled out and only had novacaine. She's really tough though. She believes everthing is mind over matter!

RedSoxFan
05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
DS#2 had his wisdom teeth pulled last Thursday. He was sedated for this. He was giggly all the way home. He was in pain a few hours later. He took Vicotin (1/2 pill) at bedtime and Ibprofen for 5 days. He was out and about on Saturday and is fine now. You'll be fine. Good Luck.

Jeff
05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I've been through this - my advice GO UNDER!

crazeedizneefinatic
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Speak to your dentist. X-rays of the impacted tooth can tell how curved or bent the root of your tooth is. If it's bent or curved be put out. It will take some tugging. My husband found out the hard way. Ask and than make a decision. I had all 4 taken out at once but went into the hospital and was put under. That was the best decision for me. I don't consider myself to be a chicken but it was much much easier and was much less than what my husband went through. Good luck, it seems frightening but wait till you see how smoothly it will go. Just remember to follow your dentists directions for care afterwards and everything will be just fine!

SAHDad
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I had two taken out under Novocain (and went back to work afterwards, IIRC). The pain from that wasn't too bad, actually.

The other two. .. . well, when the dentist says "Oh $%$%&$" partway through the procedure, that's probably not a good sign. I had to be put under for those, and while I was more sore, I think a lot of that had to do with the initial extraction effort than the subsequent surgery.

SBETigg
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM

I agree with Jeff. I would go under. I wasn't given the choice but mine were impacted and there were unusual complications. I wish I had been out for it. Best wishes.

crazypoohbear
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I would go under.
I had all 4 removed at once (here is where my sister's all roll their eyes)
At the Chelsea Naval hospital in boston (not a good place for a child to have teeth removed)
On the ride home my mom was hungry so she stopped to eat (at the old Allston train depot)
I sat there with bloody gauze in my mouth doped up while she ate :(
My DS was just told that he needs all 4 out but he can wait. 3 are in but his mouth is small and the last one the tooth is up but the gum still is covering it??~
But, Go under because you don't want to hear anything!

Beast_fanatic
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Since it's impacted and not completely out, plus you're already having a lot of pain, I would go with being put out.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
If it's impacted, I'd get anesthesia. I had a valium drip during my wisdom teeth extraction (4 impacted teeth) and it put me right to sleep. I woke up as soon as it was over and had no after affects.

When you come to, and for an hour or so after, you won't have any pain, and you'll think, "Wow this isn't so bad." Don't let that dissuade you from taking the pain killers they give you or keeping ice on your cheek.

Definitely agree with this. You will think you're ok, but don't be fooled! Be proactive with the painkillers and ice!

Good luck and :pixie:

Dragongirlx
05-08-2008, 04:12 AM
I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was 18.

I had a choice to but as they were all impacted I choose to get knocked out and I am glad I did.

Be prepared to look like a chipmonk for a couple of days after and make sure you have good painkillers in because it does hurt a lot.

I was given cocodomol by my doctor but ibuprofen works quite well to and make sure you get an antiseptic mouthwash for after to keep the area clean.

Good luck:pixie::tink:

LauraF
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I've never had impacted teeth pulled so I don't know how much applies, but I had two dental implants placed last February so it's a similar opening up of the jaw.

My dentist had me get two Valium pills - one for prior to the surgery and one after. Between those and the novocaine, I felt pretty pain-free for most of the rest of the day. I took ibuprofen with codiene for two days and then I was fine with regular Advil. I went back to work three days after the surgery.

A couple of other tips:

Sit up rather than lie down. The increased blood pressure of lying down made things hurt more for me. And be careful about tipping your head upside down for the first day. (Bending over to tie shoes . . . oww.)
Ice packs are the way to go
Get a good antiseptic mouthwash. I got one with a topical anesthetic and it was wonderful (prescription only)

But ultimately it depends on your pain threshold. Do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

DisneyCouture
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I have had one of my wisdom teeth removed by novocaine and the other 3 I had removed with anesthesia. (they were under the gum) I had them done at separate times bc one was killing me and the others were fine. Then of course the others started and I had them all done. Here is my experience. When I had just the novocaine I didn't feel anything it was the fact that I was aware of what was happening and could see the movements of the dentist yanking at my tooth which made me what to :sick: If you can handle that then you should be fine since it is only one. I would bring an ipod if u have one to relax u. Having the anesthesia really put me out and I don't remember anything. I went to sleep and then they were out, its just more expensive.

MNNHFLTX
05-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled with Novocaine, but because the roots of the bottom two teeth were very near the nerves by my jaw bone they had to saw each of those in half to extract them. :eek: Therefore I had anesthesia for that and it was definitely less stressful to have it done that way. With impacted wisdom I would think anesthesia would be the way to go.

Does your dentist or oral surgeon have any recommendation?

Tygger7
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM

Ditto....I would never, ever, in a million years attempt to get wisdom teeth pulled without being knocked out. It took almost 3 hours to pull mine...I would have gone insane if I was awake.

diz_girl
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
It depends if they are partially or fully impacted or not impacted at all. And how much of a baby you are.

If they are partially impacted or not impacted at all, then you should be fine with just novocaine. If fully impacted, then you may want to lean towards being knocked out. Just remember that general anesthesia is more dangerous than just novocaine. Some people have allergic reactions and others are accidentally given too much and die. However, like others have mentioned, you should really ask your doctor for his/her recommendation.

I had all four removed at the same time. Two were partially impacted and two were not impacted. I just had novocaine and gas - no valium. Once I was numb, the procedure took all of ten minutes. So each person's case and experience is different.

SteveL
05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
The best advice I can give you isn't about the anesthesia.
Don't go to a dentist, be sure to go to an oral surgeon for the procedure.
I have had it done by an oral surgeon with just a local and it was fine.
My dentist proudly announced that he would "pluck it right out". Ten minutes later, when the tooth broke below the gum, he was scambling to find an oral surgeon who would take me immediately. Because I has eaten that day I couldn't have a general.
The oral surgeon just shot me up with more novocaine, had me listen to a walkman headset, and was in and out of my mouth in 10 minutes.
It was like the difference between an amateur and a pro.

diz_girl
05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't go to a dentist, be sure to go to an oral surgeon for the procedure... It was like the difference between an amateur and a pro.

:ditto: Mine was done by an oral surgeon, who was great.

Stitchahula
05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Mine were not fun. Mine kept coming up and then going back under well I guess that caused some infection. So instead of just having to have the teeth removed (they did them all at once) I also had to have some of the bone removed. Needless to say I vote for being knocked out. I woke up early, when they were wheeling me out of the room into the recovery room thank god it wasn't any sooner. I lived on milk shakes at room temp. you don't want anything either hot or cold from what I understand. I lived on those shakes for about 2 weeks that and chicken broth. I remember having to do salt water rinses too. Like everyone has said the pain killers will be your friend and keep ice handy for your face. I was swollen and looked like I had been beaten up. Good luck.

MicMouse
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Get yourself knocked out!

Like many others have said, you will probably feel pretty good for a few hours after .... until the "woo-woo" wears off.

My oral surgeon suggested freezing about half a dozen damp washcloths folded in half. This worked like a charm! The washcloth was frozen, but still bendable, so you could bend it around your jaw. When it was thawed, you just throw it back in the freezer.:thumbsup:

Good luck and it really isn't that bad!

pink
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I think I'm going to ask the doctor what his opinion is. They told me that since it's only one tooth that it's kind of waste to go under since I don't need to be under for that long for just one tooth however the xrays look pretty bad.

I like the thought of being awake during the procedure because I'm scared of going under since it can be dangerous. I'm also afraid that I may throw up from it even though they told me not to eat 8 hours before hand.

Also my dentist refered me to an oral surgeon so I'm ok there. I think I might bring my Ipod with me because even they told me that the noise is the most nerve racking part. I'm very nervous so I really appreciate all of your posts- thank you! I can always count on you guys. :thumbsup:

:mickey:

quest4dl
05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I was also worried about feeling nauseous so I had my first wisdom extracted just with novocaine - bad move - it wasn't painful but it was horrifying to hear and watch the periodontist at work (I also had a gum procedure - hence the periodontist).

Next time I went to an oral surgeon and had IV sedation - it's much lighter than the type of anesthetics used for a major operation but you are still completely knocked out. Absolutely no nauseau - definitely the way to go!

elmjimmlm
05-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I have had 2 pulled and 2 cut out...I would say sedation because the dentist that pulled mine actually had his knee on my chest trying to pry the teeth out from every angle...It was a bad experience and I am glad the second time I was asleep...

tinkerbellybutton
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM

DD and I both agree with Jeff but definately get your doctors opinion.

I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled with Novocaine, but because the roots of the bottom two teeth were very near the nerves by my jaw bone they had to saw each of those in half to extract them. :eek:

O.K,. let me just say...

OUCH! and YIKES! :faint:

Good luck today and feel better soon! :pixie:

pink
05-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey everyone! So on Friday I went to the oral surgeon and I asked him his opinion he flat out said go under but I felt that he wasn't being honest, I think he just wanted the extra money. He really didn't even give me the time of day when I was asking him simple questions. He seem irrated but I wasn't just going to go for it. I wanted to know how long the procedure would take, etc.

Anyways, before I got there I was convinced that I was going under anthesia but I decided to just try the novacaine and if I hurt too bad during the surgery then I would go under.

It ended up that I was ok. I told the doctor that I was going to listen to my Ipod and he seemed a little angry again because he said that he wanted to tell me what he was doing step by step so I listened to him- big mistake! I can still hear the sound of him cracking my tooth. :sick:

Overall I'm in a little pain now but they gave me some painkillers and I'm going in again on Friday to get it checked out. It ended up that the tooth was infected, impacted and I needed stitches afterward.

I know most of you told me to go under but I did take the icing advice, ipod, etc. Thanks again! :mickey:

SBETigg
05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got through it. And now it's over-- what a relief for you. :thumbsup: