PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios CS Favorites

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
:( We've never been impressed with the CS meals we've had at HS/MGM....ABC Commissary was the worst food we ever had at DW and we all threw ours away...we've also eaten at Backlot Express and Toy Story Pizza Planet and find each "okay"....I know we will eat there twice on our upcoming trip for CS and we will eat at Toy Story again because my son likes it, so what else does everyone like?

MickeyandTink
05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I've seen mixed reviews for just about every dining place at WDW, but I think the general consensus is with you that DHS has the worst CS of any of the parks. :sick:

We thought ABC commissary was fair (better than backlot, at any rate). Some of our group ate at pizza planet last year and were disappointed as well. We'll see how we feel once we actually get there, but I'm considering taking a bit of extra time and walking over to Boardwalk for CS this year.

Natazu
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
ABC Commissary (Counter Service) ☺
There are plenty of tables and the lines move quickly. Sadly, the food kind of stinks. The Cuban sandwich is passable but there are many CS places at MGM that have better Neilson ratings than ABC Commissary.

Backlot Express (Counter Service) ☺☺☺☻
At first glance, this looks like another burger joint. It is much more than that. They have a wonderful Grilled Vegetable Sandwich and a Grilled Turkey & Cheese to tantalize the most discriminating palate.

Catalina Eddie's (Counter Service) ☻
Lousy pizza and warm salads, this place has barely registered on the “best of” threads and polls. Don’t waste time, credits, or cash here.

Flatbread Grill (Counter Service) ☺☺☻
A pretty good value, the food is good except for the chili. It’s kind of watery and sort of a funny color. I find the BBQ Pulled Pork with apple slices a good way to recharge. I haven’t tried the salads but they look perfectly fine.

Herbie's Drive-In (Quick Snacks) ☺☺☺☻
I list this cart because the food is so good and different. The pork steamed bun is worth the walk from the parking lot. Also, the frozen coolers are a great way to cool off while waiting for the stunt show to start.

Hollywood Hills Theater (Counter Service) ☺☺☻
You’re kind of a captive audience here more than anywhere else but don’t let that force you to eat hot dogs when you don’t really want to. On the other hand, those aluminum bottles of Bud are a godsend.

Rosie's All American Café (Counter Service) ☺☻
Speaking of stereotypical theme park food, this is what people are talking about when they complain that “there isn’t anything decent to eat”. Dry burgers, overcooked chicken nuggets, undercooked soups, and all for the low, low cost of about two happy meals.

Starring Rolls Café (Counter Service) ☺☺☺☺
Starring Rolls gets my Diamond-in-the-Rough Award. The sandwiches here are as good as any four-star lunch bistro I’ve ever been to. They also offer more dessert selections than almost all the other Counter Service places. I don’t consider at day at MGM complete without a Turkey Focaccia with Fresh Mozzarella and Arugala from Starring Rolls.

Toluca Legs Turkey Company (Counter Service) ☺☺☻
More than just turkey legs, the food here is better than one would expect. While it’s not the greatest value of all the CS locations, for decent food on the run, it will do. Oh, the chili here is the same watery, tasteless gunk that Flatbread Grill serves.

Toy Story Pizza Planet (Counter Service) ☺☺☺
As long as you don’t go into this place expecting Lombardi’s on Spring St, the family will enjoy a quick lunch here. Nothing fancy, the Meal Deals here are exactly that, a meal and a deal. About $8 is what you’ll spend for a little pizza and a little salad. That’s pretty good for a theme park. Pizza to satisfy the kids and Salad alla Caprese for the adults. It’s light and you can grab it and be on your way to infinity and beyond.

KineGirl
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Id like to put a vote in for Starring Rolls :number1:

jszczur5
05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Well put Natazu. Thank you for a thoughtful response. We have only ever eaten at ABC for a CS, and are looking forward to trying something different this year.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Starring rolls sounds interesting, I think we'll try it.

MickeyandTink
05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Starring rolls sounds interesting, I think we'll try it.

:ditto:

I was not even aware of Starring Rolls. Jym, thanks for your review. We will give it shot in September.

Gottaluvgoof
05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Hmmmm, how come none of us ever heard of Starring Rolls? I never have been there, but sure will give it a try. We usually do Pizza Planet for DS, but he isn't going on this trip, so FINALLY we can try something else. This sounds good. Thank you for the tip!

(I better like it, or else!) :D Just teasing, of course. :laughing:

Gottaluvgoof
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Where is the Starring Rolls Cafe? I didn't see it on the menu list. :confused:

mudpuppysmom
05-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Here is what we have tried:
Baccklot Express
ABC Commissary
Flatbread Grill
Starring Rolls

Here is what we thought:
Backlot Express: It seems that of the "other three times" we always gravitate to Backlot Express because they seem to fill what we all want to eat, both adults and kids. The food is decent and varied. In January I had a veggie type sandwich (the kid in my belly seems to not like meat, so vaca was a little tough on me this time as I LOVE meat). Burgers and chicken also usually round out our meal time. It's quick and filling and you can always find a seat whether it be inside or outside.

ABC Commissary: I took DS here one time and the line was horrendous.....it took us just about 30 minutes to get food that we ended up throwing away. I had a cuban sandwich and even that was borderline edible. DS had a noodle bowl and he would not touch it -- we ended up at the candy store "having dinner".

Flatbread Grill: This is another place that we tried and probably won't be back to. I had the chicken cesear wrap and DS had a kids drumstick and grapes. I ended up picking the chicken off my wrap to feed him as his chicken leg was so dry I think it was dust!! I said something to the CM when he put it on the tray and he said they all looked like that. The wrap was just OK, but I'd rather have a burger or veggie sandwich from Backlot.

Starring Rolls.....we ran thru here in January and DS and DH did not see anything they would eat -- I did though!! DS and I have been known to breeze thru here and grab some flourless chocolate cake though and sit up on the main street and people watch. The cake.......we get almost everytime we go though!!

ElenitaB
05-08-2008, 08:00 PM
After a disasterous lunch one year at the ABC Commissary, we became devotees of Backlot Express where I would indulge in chicken strips, a guilty pleasure. I even gave the Commissary a second chance and was once again disappointed. With the recent demise of our beloved strips, on the advice of friends, we ventured over to Flatbread Grill. I had the chicken with rice and beans and everyone else had the pulled pork sandwich. Everything was really good and we'll definitely be going back there (at least until the chicken strips come back).

Polynesian Dweller
05-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Another vote for Backlot Express. Always like it there and find it a bit more relaxing than other places and as Nahtazu has pointed out, its not just another burger place.

Jared
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I still argue the title of this thread is an oxymoron. My family has resorted to avoiding counter service altogether in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Like Ellen, we have given ABC Commissary way too many chances, and it stinks every time. She and both Jym gave the Studios Catering Co. Flatbread Grill positive reviews, but I didn't really like it, actually. I had the chicken Caesar wrap and it was small and virtually tasteless. I'd be willing to try again, but I'm skeptical.

I've never tried Backlot Express, but it sounds like a winner. The grilled turkey and cheese sandwich seems delicious.

Good luck!

:tasty:

Young@Heart
05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
We also aren't impressed with the CS places at DHS. :( This trip, we considered just using snack credits there and finding another way/place to use the CS credits.

katzctkpt
05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Definately needs some CS improvement. The only thing we like is the Toluca Turkey Legs.

Natazu
05-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Where is the Starring Rolls Cafe? I didn't see it on the menu list. :confused:Starring Rolls is behind the MGM info board sort of set back into the building around the corner from Brown Derby on Sunset Blvd.

I still argue the title of this thread is an oxymoron. My family has resorted to avoiding counter service altogether in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Like Ellen, we have given ABC Commissary way too many chances, and it stinks every time. She and both Jym gave the Studios Catering Co. Flatbread Grill positive reviews, but I didn't really like it, actually. I had the chicken Caesar wrap and it was small and virtually tasteless. I'd be willing to try again, but I'm skeptical.I gave it 2 and a half. That's a average review college boy. ;)

Jared
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I gave it 2 and a half. That's a average review college boy. ;)
Well this college boy is home for summer, so I shut down my brain.

In fact, I'm going to watch "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" right now, just because I can.

:D

bruin1344
05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
yea i agree that the cs at mgm is not impressive with food, not a diverse group of cs like epcot or mk, abc is low grade dog food

disneygirlie11
05-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Our family usually eats a late breakfast at Starring Rolls(10-10:30) and then we eat an early table service dinner(4-4:30) and have dessert later on in the night. At Starring Rolls they have HUGE cinnamon rolls that are big enough for two people and you only need to use a SNACK credit. Then we have an extra counter service for our last day when we don't have any days left on our dining plan.

Disnamic Duo
05-09-2008, 03:14 PM
We've only eaten CS at DHS once, and it was at ABC Commissary. I thought the Cuban was pretty darn good.