PDA

View Full Version : New to Fort Wilderness

tjstrike
05-07-2008, 02:31 AM
I have questions for you veterans of FW. I have 3 kids, 12, 10 and 8 and would like to know what my best options are for the kids ? They like to swim, usually a few times during our trips to WDW. Should I shoot for the 1200, 1300 or 1400 loops since they're close to the main pool ? I have a 27' TT jayco, are these loops big enough for this size TT ? We usually spend 2 or 3 days at MK, should I try for the 100 or 200 loop since they are close to the boat launch ? :confused:

DISNEYLOVERS5
05-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Rent A Golf Cart They Are So Worth It. If You Are Tent Camping 1500 Loop Is Great, Straight Across From The Pool. We Love Fw However This Year We Are Staying At Por So We Can Take Advantage Of The Free Dining.

scuttle66
05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
You'll love FW! We personally like the 1400 loop. Last trip we were directly across from the outdoor movie screen and at night we could sing along right from our site. We don't use the golf cart, we bring our bikes. They have great places to ride and its great exercise. Have fun!

medic9016
05-07-2008, 04:27 PM
We have stayed in both 100 and 200 loops. They are big enough for your TT. They are close to the boat launch to MK and bus stop at the outpost. The buses run efficient enough you do not need a golf cart. They are a little pricey. You will have a great time.

Janmac
05-10-2008, 12:55 AM
On our first FW trip, we made two requests - a site we could get into and a loop near the Meadows Trading Post area, which is where the pool, movie, etc. is. When you make reservations you let the CM know what size your TT is, and awning/slide info. They'll take care of you. If not, you either call to the Outpost or go on back up and ask for another site. We have had no problem getting into a site.

We got loop 800 which turned out to be great even tho I had been thinking of a different loop. I had been concerned about the main road but it's not very busy. Our grandkids, 13 and 11 at that time, biked everywhere. FW has lots of bike paths - it's heaven.

We biked to the Settlement (opposite end of the campground from where you check in) to get the boat to MK, just flopping our bikes onto the sand along with about a gazillion other bikes.

When we biked to the Outpost (where you check-in upon arrival), we did lock our bikes as there are few bikes in this area and it's very near an entrance road.

From the Meadows Trading Post area you could easily walk to the Settlement - less than 15 minutes if you're strolling. To the Outpost, it's more than a 5 minute bike ride.

We also took the internal bus several times, to both the Settlement and the Outpost. The Outpost is where you get the busses to most of the parks. The first day we seemed to be waiting forever but by the 3rd day we'd pretty much walk to the bus stop as the bus was arriving.

My dream is to be able to winter at Fort Wilderness. :thumbsup:

Jan

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-12-2008, 12:26 AM
It never hurts to ask but I've never seen anything available in those loops. You can always take what they give you and then take a drive through. We did that the last time and found a place we liked better and just went in to the front desk and asked if it was available. I would rather pick my spot than to be just given any ol' one.
Also, don't miss breakfast at Trails End!!:chef:

tjstrike
05-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody.

tys_mommy
05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I requested and was given loop 1000 because of it's location to the pool and Meadows Trading Post. The sites were large and could accommodate just about anything (some sites with a little more work than others). Hubby had no problem backing our 27 foot roo into our site (1011). Both the purple and orage internal busses now services this bus stop so we never had to wait long for a bus to take us anywhere.

jonahbear2006
06-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Personally, I would stay next to the pool and the movie screen. We have a horrible time getting to it and nothing worse than being wet and exhausted and hungry from the pool and waiting for a bus. As to the bringing the bikes. How do you do this. We have lugged the bikes on the back of the van to a park in town and it scares us just doing that cause it just seems they move a lot and such, so how do you get them cross country? We have a van but we don't have much experience doing this sort of thing. I would have to have room for 5 bikes! WoW~ but that does sound great.

Janmac
06-14-2008, 08:14 PM
It helps to have a truck with a long (regular?) sized bed. We put all sorts of things back there. If you have a van, I'm not sure how you'd carry the bikes.

Jan

joonyer
06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
. . . . As to the bringing the bikes. How do you do this. We have lugged the bikes on the back of the van to a park in town and it scares us just doing that cause it just seems they move a lot and such, so how do you get them cross country? We have a van but we don't have much experience doing this sort of thing. I would have to have room for 5 bikes! WoW~ but that does sound great.

Get a good quality bike rack. Search online and you can find one specifically designed to fit your vehicle.

You can also mount a hitch on the front of the van where you can mount a bike rack in the front and still have easy access to the rear door while traveling.

Auntie
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I think I'd rather be closer to the pool and Meadow recreation area given the ages of your children. I'm sure they will want to be swimming and the campfire program is also very close to the 1400 loop. It has both an inner(little bear) and outer loop. (BigBear). I'd ask for the outer loop of the 1400 loop.