PDA

View Full Version : Going from Deluxe to Moderate - help me decide!

biodtl
05-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm feeling a little down and need some advice. We are all booked at WL and were very excited about our first stay (we have wanted to stay since our honeymoon, but couldn't afford it).

But between being in the middle of a home addition/renovation and the soaring cost of...everything - especially gas (DH and I each drive 60-70 miles a day), we are thinking that it would probably be best for us to downgrade :( to a moderate. If we do, we'll be pretty much paid off, versus still owing approx $1000 on the WL package.

So part of me is sad, but the other part knows I have to do what's best and that we'll have fun either way.

So the question is - which moderate would you choose and why? We are thinking about POFQ, since so many people seem to recommend it, but I am open to suggestions. I've only stayed at the Values, so I know nothing about moderates - thanks!

Seasonscraps
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I love the Port Orleans resorts - they are beautifully themed. The rooms are a nice size with a modesty curtain by the sinks, a fridge and coffee maker. There's a boat to DTD and you get carraige rides.

FQ has a lovely little lounge in the lobby that sometimes has live entertainment. I am not too familiar with the food court except to say they have beignets. The pool has a dragon slide.

Riverside is much larger with a sit down restaurant, food court, larger lounge with live entertainment. They have a large pool area with a big pool bar.

I prefer Riverside only because it has the restaurant & bigger pool bar. :marg:

matthew1926
05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I have only stayed at CBR as far as moderates go and we LOVE it. I was very reluctant the first time because CBR is not well liked on these boards, but I'm glad I didn't listen because it is a beautiful, relaxing resort. The rooms at CBR are the largest of all the moderates and it does not have pedastal sinks like POR does. With teenagers, I can tell you this is a huge concern. I would pay for a
prefered room though because this resort is huge. Also have you considered splitting your stay between WL and a moderate. We have done this in the past and it is not a problem to switch resorts. Very easy to do and it would save you money and you could still stay at the WL. If you do this I would make sure you do WL for the second half of your stay. It would be a real bummer to go from a deluxe to a moderate.

KylesMom
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I can so feel your pain - after $1,700 in car-related repairs in the last 60 days and both DH and I driving 65 miles per day for work, DH and I were contemplating the same thing. However, the tax stimulus package that I doubted we would see came through for us, and so that's what is going to keep us at WL.

As Matthew1926 said, we've only stayed in one moderate resort, and that was CBR. We loved this resort - it was tranquil, and we felt that we were in a world by ourselves. The rooms were large, and the resort had just been refurbished. Two of my work compatriots just stayed there with their families, and loved the resort - with two exceptions: Bus service was sketchy (they ended up walking across the parking lot for better service) and the main pool was down (I'm not sure when you're going - it'll be closed until August or September, I think). However, both groups (one with kids, one on his 40th anniversary trip with just DW and himself) said they would both stay there again in a heartbeat.

Don't be discouraged! In these tough economic times, I'm glad you're still able to go. If it's any consolation, be assured that a resort like CBR has bigger rooms than WL! I remember when we first walked in to CBR (our first experiences being All-Stars) we were like WHOA - we're on top of the world! :mickey:

I have to commend you on keeping the "eye on the prize" and staying within your budget - I know it's hard!

offwego
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
POFQ also has a boat ride to DTD which is fun.

We are big POR fans primarily based around Piano Bob and the pool being a better theme for DS. (Pink dragons are not so much a 12 year old boy's dream theme)

we do find the bathroom shelf to be good enough but then it's for three of us not four and we did like CBR but it felt too big for us compared to the feel of POR or POFQ.

What are you looking for? Is it theme? Location? Lounge? Pool? How many in your party and what ages? These might help folks answer which resorts might offer the things your most looking for.

Kairi_7378
05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
While I am a big fan of the PO resorts, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. They all have fans on the boards.

biodtl
05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
What are you looking for? Is it theme? Location? Lounge? Pool? How many in your party and what ages? These might help folks answer which resorts might offer the things your most looking for.

Our party consists of me, DH, DS11 and DD4.

The main thing we would like is convenience/ease of transportation (we don't rent a car).

We like Disney atmosphere.

The pool isn't too important - as long as there is one, we're happy - we don't spend much time there.

As for food, we'll only eat there for breakfast, most likely. Maybe a later snack or pizza.

We definitly want a bar or lounge. DH can't be on his feet for long periods and will probably head back to relax. He never felt completely relaxed at the value pool bars.

The room size isn't a huge deal, because - like I said - we are used to values (and until recently, our house was tiny).

I don't think I want to change resorts - I just feel like that would be using up time I could spend in the parks.

offwego
05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Well the moderates all use only bus transportation to the parks. The lounge area at PORS is in my personal view better then the area at POFQ (it's bigger and goes beyond just the bar proper area to spread out towards the gift shop and check in location, plus there are areas outside to sit in too at each mansion spot)

Both PORS and FQ can share buses but the upside is a lot of buses. POFQ has one bus stop (not difficult as the resort itself isn't huge), PORS has a few stops to allow for access to the areas of the hotel as well as the main stop at the foodcourt check in gift shop area.

Have fun looking at them and think of it as an upgrade from your value trips not a downgrade from something that hadn't happened yet..happy planning!:mickey:

biodtl
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Have fun looking at them and think of it as an upgrade from your value trips not a downgrade from something that hadn't happened yet..happy planning!
That's true - it IS still an upgrade from previous trips. I know I'll be happy regardless. When we first started planning, I was all for another value or a mod, but DH wanted WL. If this had happened months ago, it wouldn't have bothered me, but I got attached to the idea. Thanks!

#1donaldfan
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't worry too much about it...you'll be at Disney...and it's only a place to nap, take a quick dip in the pool, and shower.......we love POR either one would be great !!!!!!:mickey:

mdhiggin
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I've stayed at all three moderates. I didn't like POR theming much, and we were on Riverside. It looked like FQ busing was quicker and with less people.

CS was great theming, but the food court was much more expensive than other moderates. I guess because of all the business pbeople I've heard are there.

CBR was great theming, food court was decent price. It was my favorite of the three, even though we were in one of the Trinidads that was as far away from everything as you could get. I would definitely go back with a preferred room.

SNOWIE
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
If transportation is important to you:
Unless things have changed, POFQ has its own buses or if sharing with POR gets picked up first and dropped off first. When we stayed at the large resorts like CBR & POR, if you were not on one of the first bus stops you always wound up having to stand on the buses during busy times.

King Triton
05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Our last family trip, we stayed at both WL and CBR. I was a little apprehensive at how I'd like CBR after staying in WL. I was pleasantly surprised. The CBR rooms were very nice, very clean and the grounds were beautiful. If you do stay there, I would recommend sending a fax to the room assigner before you go to try to get one of the buildings in fairly close proximity to Old Port Royale. Each section of CBR has its own pool and we preferred the smaller pool area to the main themed pool. One other thing you may want to keep in mind if you're thinking about CBR is that their main pool is closed for refurbishment for a good part of this year, but I don't know what the dates are... I definitely recommend CBR though (haven't stayed at any of the other mods yet, though)

biodtl
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Well - I did it. I contacted the very nice Wendy at MJ and changed our reservations. We're now staying at POFQ.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. We decided on POFQ mainly because we like that it is small, so there isn't as much walking, which is hard on DH (he shattered both feet in an accident a few years back). Also - it has the lounge and pool bar. We didn't care about TS dining, since we spend most of our time in the parks, anyway.

Taja
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Congratulations on your decision! POFQ is one of the resorts I hope to stay at in the future.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
You will love POFQ!

Have a great trip :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Good Choice! :thumbsup: You will enjoy POFQ. It is our favourite moderate resort by far. POR is a distant second. What we liked about it is the size, it is perfect. Nice and small, you can walk anywhere on property in 5 minutes or less. Our kids 10 and 4 LOVE the pool.

Also you can use any of the ammenities at POR since they are sister resorts.

Patty
05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Make sure while you are at POFQ you take advantage of POR. They have a great arcade for your son and unless things have changed, kids are welcome in the lounge area when Bob (Ithink that is his name) is there, and he is great. He even gets the kids in on the fun! It's a great resort, and you will have a great time.

c&d
05-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I would chose CSR. We loved Pepper Market with all the choices and although there is 10% added on if you eat in we found it to be a nice extra. Cloth napkins and someone getting our drinks.

The pool area is amazing. It was never crowded and it a good size.

The resort itself is beautiful at night. All the fountains lit up around the resort at night and swinging in a hammock looking up at the stars.

We had some of the best bus service there. It could be because it's a convention hotel but we never waited long for a bus and during the day they were never crowded.

Don't let the fact that it's a convention hotel put you off. There was a convention when we were they but they were busy all day. We only had a problem once when we decided to eat a noon and the food court was really crowded.

It also has a spa and exercise room.

Bohms4
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Good choice - POFQ is my favorite mod. The only one I haven't tried yet is CSR.

buzz2001
05-09-2008, 05:39 AM
CSR! Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

scootch713
05-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Have you looked into dvc rental points? We are renting from a dvc member at VWL this year for half the cost of a original WL room... something to research.

I am a deluxe girl(hubby does not go ont rips so feeel the money he would have spent and the convenience I need taking 2 girls alone).... we did do 2 nights at POFQ one trip. I was disappointed in room size especially, but the bus service was good and I was surprised by the only 10 min ride to MK. The pool slide is about the same thrill factor as WL.

castlelady36
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
You will love POFQ!!! Though it only has one bus stop the resort is small and it is really not much walking from any room. There is a great restaurant there and the themed pool is really fun with the big dragon. I would not pay extra for the waterview room since you say you are not in the room much. It has a very homey feel to it since it is small and I think you will have a great time there!!

badllamamama
05-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Definitely CSR! It has the most deluxe amenities like a spa, salon, fitness center and full menu room service. It also has a new lounge that offers live entertainment. It's a no brainer! We call it deluxe-lite.