PDA

View Full Version : tell me about san angel inn

playdead88
05-06-2008, 06:28 AM
my husbands 39th birthday will be while we are in disney - i am thinking about the san angel inn since he has mentioned wanting to eat there before -how is it and is it a good place for a birthday dinner? :party:

CAS
05-06-2008, 07:21 AM
:thumbsup:It's a great place for a birthday dinner. The atmosphere is sunset at the base of a Mexican pyramid. The food is good and the margaritas are great. We don't go to WDW without one meal at San Angel. Request a seat close to the water.

AwPhooey
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I love San Angel Inn! As CAS said, the atmosphere is great for a restaurant that is indoors. With the sunset, mountains and river, you begin to think you're indoors.

My only complaint is that the seating can be a bit crammed if the tables around you are full. Otherwise, I highly enjoy and recommend this restaurant!

Wells
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
A lot of people complain about the food here, but I’ve always enjoyed San Angel Inn and have dinner there every trip. The tables are a bit too close together, but not really a big deal.
I'm sure a lot of people know this one, but pay close attention to the "smoke" coming out of the volcano......

RockinRollerMom
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry to give a bad review, but San Angel Inn has been my least favorite place to eat in the World. The service was really bad. The tables are very close together. I am all for ambiance, but it was so dark in there that I could barely see my food. It is authentic mexican, which I actually like but my food was very bland and not worth the price at all. Out of my party of 9 no-one enjoyed their meal. If you want to eat in WS maybe check out Le Cellier or Rose and Crown (you could time it so you could try to get a seat on the patio and watch illuminations.)

castlelady36
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
[quote=RockinRollerMom;1622488]Sorry to give a bad review, but San Angel Inn has been my least favorite place to eat in the World. The service was really bad. The tables are very close together. I am all for ambiance, but it was so dark in there that I could barely see my food.

I agree, we did not like it much either...too dark...too cramped and not such great food. BUT the view and setting are lovely.

Tegrigg
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Everytime we go to WDW we eat in Mexico, It has become a family tradition. You will love it. The food is really good. I hope yall have a wonderful time.:mickey:
1978 offsite
1980 offsite
1985 Tree house Villas
1989 Carribean Beach
2001 Poly
2003 Poly
2005 poly
May 2008 Poly

Kidsmom
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I really enjoyed it when we went last month. I thought the food and service were good. I had heard how romantic is was for dates. We were there with our 4 kids and I couldn't see how anyone would find it romantic. It is VERY tight, crowded and loud.

We had a seat away from the main area (near the bathroom) and the view, but it was in the corner and less crowded and noisy. I thought it was the best seat in the house....not bumping into anyone.

For romance....Cali Grill, Le Celliar. For a good dinner and cool astmosphere this is the spot.

SBETigg
05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
The atmosphere is the best thing about San Angel Inn. It's a really cool setting. Some people don't like that the tables are placed really closely together but it never bothers us. I've heard mixed reviews on food and service. We've always had excellent service. The food can definitely be up and down.

I had a chicken mole poblano when I was there last, and the side dishes and sauce were all amazing, really good. The chicken, however, was rubbery in texture. No problem. The rest of the meal made up for it. San Angel Inn is the favorite in all of WDW for my kids for many years now. I love the ceviche and the mango margaritas (real pureed mango inside, not so from the stand outside).

You'll see mixed reviews on San Angel, but if your DH really wants to eat there, I think it is a good choice for his birthday. If you're looking for something really special and don't mind spending a bit more, try California Grill at the Contemporary instead.

HndrdPrcnt
05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
If this is where your husband wants to have his birthday dinner, then I think you should go for it! He really can't blame you for booking a restaurant that he wanted to eat at can he??!!??

However, just know that while the ambiance is kinda cool, I agree with other posters that it is too dark and the tables are too close. It is a bit claustraphobic in there for me.

When it comes to the food, I compare it to any turn and burn Mexican food place (like Taco Bell:sick:). I grew up in So. CA and know what traditional/authentic Mexican food tastes like, and San Angel is not it!! That said, like Taco Bell, it is edible, just not a meal to write home about!! Nothing a good :marg: can not wash down!

Enjoy!:party:

SBETigg
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
John, I don't know what Taco Bells are like on the West Coast, but the food at San Angel, while not always spectacular, is nowhere near our Taco Bell's fast food quality. I would compare it more closely to a few table service Mexican chains, perhaps, but not Taco Bell. That's an exaggeration and seems really unfair to represent San Angel Inn that way. Though you're entitled to your opinion, I think you're misleading the OP. The chips and salsa are unfortunately packaged Tostitos, though, so do be aware of that. Tostitos sponsors the pavilion.

NJGIRL
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
We have eaten at the San Angels many times. We love the atmosphere and our food has always been good and have had great service. They have gone out of their way for my picky son on several occassions.

I think people should try restaurants according to if the menu looks good to them instead of the opinions of others. Everyone has different tastes and opinions to what's good and what's not. An example: People on this board love Le Cellier for the most part and we thought it was "just OK'. If you like the menu try it out, you have nothing to loose.

Disneyatic
05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
This was our favorite meal experience on our last trip and has become a must-do for future trips!
While the food is not out of this world spectacular, it is good and the atmosphere is A++. My only complaint was the chips and salsa, they definitely tasted out of a bag & bottle. Not bad, just not great.
However, their tortilla soup was excellent and I will definitely be getting that on our next trip!

I think you will be pleased with this choice. It's the coolest atmosphere!

#1donaldfan
05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I turned 39 last year and believe me when I say that if my wife would have done that for me, I would have left her after over 20 years of marriage......seriously though......the place is beautiful with a wonderful atmosphere, but the food is way, way, way, way down on our list...the service was sub-par.....I just don't think we'll EVER eat there again....it was just that bad, not just ok, but BAD.....sorry to be negative....:thedolls::ack::thedolls:

Wrigley
05-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I'd say that if your DH really wants to eat at San Angel, then go ahead and give it a try. It has been hit or miss with us. Some of our experiences have been wonderful-great service and wonderful food. However, our last visit was just plain awful-some of our food was burnt and our server never came back once our meal was brought out until about half an hour later. We would have liked some drink refills and she was nowhere to be seen!

It's definately worth a try though. The atmosphere is really neat and I think that makes up for the food!:mickey:

katzctkpt
05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Sorry to give a bad review, but San Angel Inn has been my least favorite place to eat in the World. The service was really bad. The tables are very close together. I am all for ambiance, but it was so dark in there that I could barely see my food. It is authentic mexican, which I actually like but my food was very bland and not worth the price at all. Out of my party of 9 no-one enjoyed their meal. If you want to eat in WS maybe check out Le Cellier or Rose and Crown (you could time it so you could try to get a seat on the patio and watch illuminations.)

[quote=RockinRollerMom;1622488]Sorry to give a bad review, but San Angel Inn has been my least favorite place to eat in the World. The service was really bad. The tables are very close together. I am all for ambiance, but it was so dark in there that I could barely see my food.

I agree, we did not like it much either...too dark...too cramped and not such great food. BUT the view and setting are lovely.

I turned 39 last year and believe me when I say that if my wife would have done that for me, I would have left her after over 20 years of marriage......seriously though......the place is beautiful with a wonderful atmosphere, but the food is way, way, way, way down on our list...the service was sub-par.....I just don't think we'll EVER eat there again....it was just that bad, not just ok, but BAD.....sorry to be negative....:thedolls::ack::thedolls:

To be quite honest I think Taco Bell has better food. The cm that served our table was rude, the soft drinks had the weirdest taste, and the food it looked like slop thrown on a plate. It was probably the worst meal I had in disney and the remaining 9 in our party thought the same. We have returned to ride the 3 Amigos ride and then we laugh about how our dining experience was. My youngest dd starts crying when we say we're gonna eat here.
Have you thought about another restaurant? Like Japanese, Coral Reef, LeCellier, or Rose N Crown.

JerseyDad
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM
......always a family favorite, San Angel will continue to be on our dinner reservations as long as we go to WDW.

We've never had any "bad food issues".....(did have a "drink" issue....and will tell you 'bout it later), and sometimes it will be "busy" and you may have to wait a few minutes for the waiter to get back to you. Of course...I will tell you that to me..."busy" means full occupancy with regards to tables. So, some people will consider that crowded...I consider it "cozy". The ambiance is incredible...and you really get the feeling of being in a outdoor plaza somewhere in Mexico. The drinks are great (try a on-the-rocks margarita made with a top shelf tequila, like Patron Silver :marg: :D)

...okay...the "drink issue": Once we were there for dinner...and a waitress was carrying a TRAY full of drinks. As she passed our table....someone from an adjacent table got up without warning...and bumped into the tray and waitress. Some drinks spilled on a few of our dinner party ("minor spillage")...but the majority of the drinks fell into a shopping bag of one of our party...which contained 2 of the large animal marrionettes that are sold in the China pavillion. Needless to say they were SOAKED! Within a minute...the restaurant manager was there....took the bag with the marrionettes...and returned in less than 10 minutes with 2 brand new ones. That...is customer service at it's best....with a bit of Disney Pixie Dust tossed on top!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
.okay...the "drink issue": Once we were there for dinner...and a waitress was carrying a TRAY full of drinks. As she passed our table....someone from an adjacent table got up without warning...and bumped into the tray and waitress. Some drinks spilled on a few of our dinner party ("minor spillage")...but the majority of the drinks fell into a shopping bag of one of our party...which contained 2 of the large animal marrionettes that are sold in the China pavillion. Needless to say they were SOAKED! Within a minute...the restaurant manager was there....took the bag with the marrionettes...and returned in less than 10 minutes with 2 brand new ones. That...is customer service at it's best....with a bit of Disney Pixie Dust tossed on top!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great story:mickey:

playdead88
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=castlelady36;1622573]

Have you thought about another restaurant? Like Japanese, Coral Reef, LeCellier, or Rose N Crown.

first thank you to everyone who has replied - great info! and yes i have thought about eating somewhere else for his bday dinner - we have always wanted to try rose n crown and attempt to time it with illuminations - so what im thinking is we can eat at both! im leaning toward rose n crown for the bday dinner and san angel inn for maybe our 1st night in disney dinner - i have to eat there now after reading all these posts! it seems so black and white - no grey area - you either love it or hate it so i have got to see for myself - one thing that most of the posters have been sure of is the quality of the margaritas and im a sucker for a good :marg:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
:blush: Well, we really didn't care for it...here is our thoughts:

Plus: The decor is kind of neat getting to watch everyone go by the volcano on the ride is fun.

Downside: The server was a little rude and not very attentive/The food was blah-of course, we have a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants in my hometown now so maybe I'm spoiled.....

Gator
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
......seriously though......the place is beautiful with a wonderful atmosphere, but the food is way, way, way, way down on our list...the service was sub-par.....I just don't think we'll EVER eat there again....it was just that bad, not just ok, but BAD.....sorry to be negative....:thedolls::ack::thedolls:

I agree. Not only is it THE worst Mexican food I've ever had, it could be the worst any-type-of-food I've ever had. My wife talked me into going to the Cantina this last trip and it's as bad as indoors. Just terrible.

tiaramom
05-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I am a fan of Mexico and adore the Disney version of it . Though the restaurant is beautiful in design and atmosphere is truely romantic. It lacks in menu choices and taste. I find the food taco bell style - and was not impressed at all with the wait staff. I tried this restaurant 3x over my many years of visiting Disney. The new ride is awful- and I miss the other one. The Restaurant needs help!

wendy*darling
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
i have to eat there now after reading all these posts! it seems so black and white - no grey area - you either love it or hate it so i have got to see for myself
Excellent decision! :thumbsup:
Decide for yourself.
I am actually in the "grey area" on this one. My DH loves San Angel- and we eat here on nearly every trip.
I do enjoy it- I love the atmosphere- crowded tables and all. And I enjoy the food. I am not a fan of Mexican food anywhere. I *hate* beans in any form... makes it hard to eat anywhere Mexican. ;)
There are a few things I enjoy- Mole Poblano (and theirs is quite good) and camarones (shrimp) are my defult entrees in any Mexican place. I do not consider San Angel anywhere similar to Taco Bell. Maybe Don Pablos or a place like that. It is not fast food or take out style.
So I go with DH every time. I enjoy my meal. :)

But the best thing about our trips to WDW is that we dine at a nice variety of restaurants- at least one TS every day (sometimes 2). Every meal can't be my favorite- but the majority of them are excellent experiences and great memories- San Angel included! :mickey: