PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom advice please

Gregandmel
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Can anyone tell me your thoughts on the best way to tackle the AK? We have breakfast ressies at 8am at Tusker House. We REALLY want to ride EE first thing (can't wait!!) but wonder if it would make more sense for us to do the safari first (since we are there and closer to it) and THEN go to EE and Dinosaur, etc...even though we will have to deal with MUCH more crowds. The safari isn't on our top of things to do there and could do without it if needed, but wanted to know your thoughts. I hear that the FP for EE can go quickly and I will KICK myself if we screw it up. We are going on a Thursday morning, no EMH in the am and in early October. Thoughts anyone??? THANK YOU!!! I always come to these boards when I have something that pops into my head. You all are awesome.

DISFREAKS
05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
What we usually do is send one person to get EE fast passes while everyone else makes thier way to KS. By the time you're done with the safari, it should be about time for EE. The Safari is always best first thing before it gets too warm. thats also when many of the animals are out eating.

elmjimmlm
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Last year we ate at Donalds breakfast and went staight to EE...I got the FPs while my family rode...I was the first one at the FP machine and it looked like a stampede coming toward me...When I was finished the line was already at the viewing area...My advice would be the same as above...If you wait until after your ride, you might have a long FP time...

Mary M
05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Honestly, the best strategy for AK is to take time to meander and explore. There's a lot of cool stuff there but you need to find it.

Oh, and do NOT miss Finding Nemo: The Musical.

KineGirl
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I just want to throw this out there about riding EE directly after eating..

You may be fine but last year my friend did that and was sick sick sick for about 3 hours after. Shes a roller coaster person but all the cork screws really messed with her tummy and it caused to miss Tough to be a Bug & the Safari.

Everybody is different but it would be awful to have that happen .. ick. :sick:

Gator
05-06-2008, 12:25 AM
I have always gone to DinoLand first. Dinosaur is my favorite. However, you may want to save it for the afternoon since it is one of the few rides that is air conditioned. Same for Bugs Life 3-D. Don't miss the bird show, Flights of Wonder. It's probably the most overlooked attraction at AK.

LoriMistress
05-06-2008, 01:21 AM
DH would follow the crowd to go to EE, while I would trek over to grab FPs for EE. From there, we would ride it about 2-3 times, then hit Dinoland. From there, would hit KS.

Gottaluvgoof
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Last September, we were at rope drop and went directly to EE. Without fast passing, we rode 6 times with no wait at all. (Was feeling it after that 6th ride, but it's my DS12's favorite) We did Dino and many other things. Had no problem getting on the Safari later in the day and there were plenty of animals right along side the road. Don't miss the Lion King and Nemo shows.

Septbride2002
05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
How late is Animal Kingdom open when you are there? This last trip we had a couple nights where AK was open till 8pm - we got there about 5pm and NO ONE WAS THERE - it was empty and this was semi-peak season. The safari was awesome - the animals were extremely active as the weather was cooler and they were anticipating dinner. The big male lion was up and pacing back and forth on the big rock and would stare at you as you drove by. Even the Cheetahs were up and roaming - first time I've every seen them do that.

My advice is if you have later hours - go get your EE fast passes, eat breakfast, go ride EE - Dinoland, Camp Minnie/Micky and Bugs Life. Take a mid-day break and come back in the evening to do the safari and the animal trails - also you can do EE again in the evening because again - the park was pretty empty.

Most people go to AK first thing in the morning because that is what every guide book says to do -our entire party agreed from now on we are going to do AK in the late afternoon and early evenings.

~Amanda

DisneyDudet
05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
If you are planning to stay past lunch time, there is no need to hightail it over to EE. If you are REALLY nervous, you can have one of you head to EE to get the FPs and the rest of you head to Tusker House. Even if you are at EE to get FP's 2 hours after park opening, and in early October, on a non-EMH day, your return time shouldn't be all that late.

What I would do?

Eat, possibly grabbing an FP for KS before you check in. By the time you eat, the FP should be valid (usually starting about 45 min after park opening). No need to rush, as you have the entire hour to return to KS, and its a hop, skip and a jump away. This will save you from having to walk all the way back.

Then, head to EE. Check the FP time AND standby time. You never know. Waiting in line 40 min will not be a big issue, especially if the FP times are far away. If time of of the essense, head to the Single Rider line (what we ALWAYS do), and ride it with a short wait (maybe 15-20 min or so). If you don't want to ride single rider, grab a FP (or ride standby if the time isn't too bad), and head to Dinosaur. You can do that ride (probably with a little wait), or see if there's a showing of Nemo or Lion King. If none of the above are viable (with your FP time), hit ITTBAB. We've never waited there (except right after AK opened).

There's also the trails and animal viewings to see while you're there.

I don't know if this is helpful at all. If I were in your situation, that is what I would do.

rnin02
05-07-2008, 01:14 AM
The Safari is the best in the morning hours, if you are only feeling so-so about it, you will enjoy it best being able to see more animals. So I vote sending one person over to get FP for EE, and meeting up back at the Safari and do that. That will also allow your stomachs to settle some before riding EE, which can't hurt at all. I'm guessing, in October, you won't have to worry too much about lines, at least in September we don't have to worry too much, we can easily ride EE a couple times in a day (or more) using FP, so I don't think you will "screw it up". I don't think they will run out FP that quickly for the ride in October, unless maybe its some sort of special weekend or something.

myhappyplace
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Can anyone tell me your thoughts on the best way to tackle the AK? We have breakfast ressies at 8am at Tusker House. We REALLY want to ride EE first thing (can't wait!!) but wonder if it would make more sense for us to do the safari first (since we are there and closer to it) and THEN go to EE and Dinosaur, etc...even though we will have to deal with MUCH more crowds. The safari isn't on our top of things to do there and could do without it if needed, but wanted to know your thoughts. I hear that the FP for EE can go quickly and I will KICK myself if we screw it up. We are going on a Thursday morning, no EMH in the am and in early October. Thoughts anyone??? THANK YOU!!! I always come to these boards when I have something that pops into my head. You all are awesome.

My husband and I went in October and No lie; We road EE 3 times right in a row. It was not busy at all when we were there. So I don't know if it will be a problem for you to get on right after breakfast. As always though you never know. If EE is a must go there first check out the wait and move on from there. My daughter really doesn't care for the Safari anymore so it is always last on the list, no sense in wasting time on the things you can live without. Have a magical trip.

Coach48
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
We usually vacation with a large crowd(12-15)so it makes sense for 1 of us to FP Everest while the rest head for the safari.The time frame is usually right on track for when you get off.Also our experiences have seen more animals out earlier rather than later.

#1donaldfan
05-08-2008, 09:22 AM
This past year we had an early breakfast then were taken straight to EE....we were the very first riders of the day, plus we FP'd it......it had only been open a very short while and it was extremely busy / popular....the passes were filled up by 10am, for the rest of the day.....what an awesome ride...:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe you could get fastpasses for the safari and then hurry over to EE....or like someone else said, pick up fastpasses for EE on the way in or send someone over...either way, these two rides seem to have long lines......so ride one and fastpass the other

dsnyfan001
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I agree with mississippidisneyfreak, you should go and get a fastpass for EE on your way in, or someone should go and get them while you are eating. That ride tends to really busy at all times of the day. KS is good no matter what time you ride, some of the animals I never get to see anyways even if its the first ride of the morning although I do see more animals in the AM. You have to catch that special one in the early morning from the AK hotel to really see them roaming around lol . Good Luck and I hope you have a great time!

huzzah4
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Everybody else is suggesting getting the FP for EE first thing. Although that may be good for a later ride, my advice is to wait through the main line while it is crowded. I know this may seem somewhat counterintuitive, but the queue for EE has got to be the coolest ride queue I have ever waited through. There is so much stuff to look at that I almost think it is better then the actual ride itself. It is definitely worth the wait. My wife does not ride roller coasters, but she walks through the queue with me just to look at all of the displays.