PDA

View Full Version : Trying Kona Cafe for dinner - reviews?

ChewyStriker
05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
We just decided to add the dining plan to our upcoming vacation and are trying Kona Cafe for dinner.

Can anyone share any experiences they've had there? Anything you recommend trying?

20 days!:mickey:
Thanks!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
05-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm probably from the one family who had a truly terrible experience at Kona. Don't let it worry you-- the rave reviews will be coming along soon.

Our food was not prepared well. Some was overdone, some underdone, or so bland we could hardly taste it. Or service was not good, until the end of the meal when the server suddenly went from unattentive to overly attentive. We had a table on the outer edge of the restaurant and we felt like we were dining in the middle of the GCH (not entirely a bad thing). I want to think we just had a bad experience, otherwise it's way overrated and I'm not rushing back. The chicken wings were the highlight. They were cooked perfectly and really good.

pogo
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience Sherry. :(

While on our trip to the Poly in 2006, we were having a cocktail :marg: in the Tambu Lounge and we ran into some cast members that said they were there to have dinner at the Kona Cafe. They said the Kona had the best Prime Rib Dinner around. :mickey:

With that in mind my DW and I stopped back later in the week and walked in and had a wonderful dinner there and indeed, the Prime Rib was perfect in every way ! :cloud9:

Happy planning and enjoy ! :D

kmo84
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I love Kona! I have had dinner there a few times. I've always found the food to be very good!

My one bad experience there was for breakfast. It was very busy that morning, and our waitress was less than attentive. The food was still good, though.

I think you will enjoy it!

crazypoohbear
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
we too had terrible service! Last year we had a party of 11. I checked us in at the podium and we went and had a drink in the lobby and waited... and waited.... and waited... finally 45 minutes later I went back to the podium and the lady at the podium got the "deer in headlights look" ran away and a manager came over and said there had been an over site. They would need to seat us at seperate tables now. That was fine except it was there was a table between us. The people sitting between us and the kids (teens and 1 4 year old) did not like that we had to keep walking over and checking on the little one! Also, the teen table had great service, we did not. The teens had already finished with their dessert BEFORE we were served our entree! When we wer first overlooked the manager did comp us all a drink. but when she came back to the table to see how things were and I told her we had ordered an hour ago and had not been served she just walked away!!!! NOTHING! not a word!
The food was great when it finally arrived though if that's any help!

Natazu
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
We love Kona. It's probably my favorite non-signature restaurant on property. We've always had the most excellent, attentive staff, top quality food, and creative desserts. There's rarely any wait and you can often get in without and ADR.

Polynesian Dweller
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
We love Kona and are going back again this year. Never have had a problem here. We recommend highly.

Sorry Sherri had a bad one, and that's actually possible at any restaurant on any given night. I think she hit a bad night but they can be awful if you have one.

Mary M
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I, too, dig Kona Cafe. I prefer it for breakfast, to be honest, but it's good for dinner and lunch, too. I mostly remember dessert, but that's just me. They have good dessert, so save room.

Jared
05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Kona Cafe is probably my favorite restaurant, so I wholeheartedly applaud your decision to try it. I almost always order and shrimp and scallops appetizer finished with the Kilauea torte for dessert, but just about everything on the menu is wonderful. I also particularly like the chicken wings and crab cake appetizers.

Enjoy, and definitely save room for one of the amazing desserts.

:tasty:

MissStyles
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I almost always order and shrimp and scallops appetizer finished with the Kilauea torte for dessert.

:ditto: Those dishes are the best. Make sure you ask for vanilla ice cream on the side of the torte!

Kona is always so relaxing...........I never get to stay at the Poly so it's a good excuse to venture over and wander the grounds! :thumbsup:

RockinRollerMom
05-06-2008, 09:03 AM
We love Kona. It's probably my favorite non-signature restaurant on property. We've always had the most excellent, attentive staff, top quality food, and creative desserts.

I second that. Kona has been one of the best meals I have had at Disney. Last time we were there both DH and I had the most delicious filet mignon. MIL had the tuna which she was great. Crab cakes and sticky wings were great appetizers. If you are a coffee lover make sure you get the kona coffee.

Plus Kona is really convenient to get to since it is on the monorail. I don't think you will be disappointed.

LandFan
05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
The teriyaki steak and chicken wings are awesome! DH would eat that steak every day if he could:thumbsup: