PDA

View Full Version : Miyuki - candy artist at World Showcase Japan

DmoDisney
05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Just got back from WDW and one of our favorite memories was watching Miyuki take soft rice dough and creating beautiful animals in just minutes at the Japan pavillion in Epcot! My family and I were fortunate enough to be front and center so Miyuki asked my DD7 what animal she would like created. Just before Miyuki had shown up a squirrel had come right up to my DD7 so we all thought it would be neat if Miyuki made a squirrel. About 3 minutes later she had taken a soft ball of dough and shaped it into a squirrel holding a nut, which she eventually presented to my daughter after it had "set". It was amazing to watch her. Apparently she is one of just a handful of people in the world with this skill and the only woman I believe. She performs a couple of times a day. She also made a tiger and a monkey while we were watching. If you are planning on visiting Epcot I would definitely schedule this into your day and arrive a little early. She can only do so many sculptures at a time.

Rekced
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree that it is amazing watching her work. We always try to be near Japan for one of her show times. On our honeymoon she made my wife a Koala bear, and this last trip she made us a bald eagle.

Definitely worth taking the time to stop and watch her work.

Mary M
05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
How do you transport her sculptures home?

I remember once when I asked a friend if I could get her something from WDW, thinking like a stuffed Tigger, she asked for one of those candy sculptures! :rub: I told her I'd do what I could.

DisneyWizard
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree - she is amazing! I haven't seen her on my last two trips, but always love to watch.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Whereabout in Japan can we find her?

TheMartellFamily
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
We have not had the opportunity to see her but we are going to look for her on our next visit. I think my DS's would enjoy this.

MauiMouse
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
How do you transport her sculptures home?

I remember once when I asked a friend if I could get her something from WDW, thinking like a stuffed Tigger, she asked for one of those candy sculptures! :rub: I told her I'd do what I could.

They are small, more or less on a stick like a lollypop and they then put a plastic bag over them.

Whereabout in Japan can we find her?

She is to the right of the entrance to the Mitsukoshi Department Store near the statue that was given to Walt Disney World from Japan. She is outside in a little booth.

Soul_Power
05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I did not know that this is even done at EPCOT! It will definitely be on my to-do list for my next trip (whenever that is, sigh).

Thanks for the information! :mickey:

Gator
05-06-2008, 12:27 AM
She must be fairly new - or I'm not very observant.

LoriMistress
05-06-2008, 01:23 AM
DH and I wanted to see her, but we were too tired and decide to head back to our resort to nap.

kakn7294
05-06-2008, 01:47 AM
She must be fairly new - or I'm not very observant.You're just not very observant - she's done this for years - since the mid 90's or so. She is the only female trained in this Japanese candy sculpting technique.

Tinkerfreak
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
You're just not very observant - she's done this for years - since the mid 90's or so. She is the only female trained in this Japanese candy sculpting technique.

My family must not be too observant either because we have never seen her.:(

Disneytrotters
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
We just got back from WDW and received a candy sculpture from her. My partner was wearing a Birthday button, and she asked us what animal we wanted. We chose a panda, and she made a great one, holding a baby. We actually managed to get it back to Michigan, only breaking off the tiny ears. Since we don't plan to eat it, I have superglued them back on!! LOL. Definitely, you should try to see these demonstrations when in Japan. They have the times listed on the schedules you pick up at the front of the park.:party:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
She is to the right of the entrance to the Mitsukoshi Department Store near the statue that was given to Walt Disney World from Japan. She is outside in a little booth.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. :mickey:

Disney-4-Me
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
After many, many trips to Disney World, I saw her on TV. I was amazed that I had never seen, or even heard about this. It is definitely on my to-do list for October!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
We completely lucked out last trip!

DD found her, and was patient and quiet until Miyuki noticed her and asked her what animal she wanted. DD asked for a bird, so she got the most amazing pink bird ever!

She is so neat to watch...even if you don't get a candy of your own.

And no, we never did eat it...took lots of pictures though.

LandFan
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
She is REALLY good! We watched her make a kangaroo and a chinese dragon last fall... Beautiful work and her technique is so efficient! I am a designer/educator so this kind of stuff is great for me:D

Young@Heart
05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow! I've seen video of her-amazing! I hope we get a chance to see her in person.

mudpuppysmom
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
We make sure we see her each trip!! DS actually tells me that he HAS to see her -- it's part of our trip plan.

We go early and are usually one of the first people there so DS can get a space in the front.

The first time he got an animal -- a dinosaur he walked away from the area to get his picture taken and the wind took it and it snapped in half.....he was distraught nonetheless -- for quite a while!!

He now knows to hold onto his masterpiece to get his picture taken.

As far as getting them home I usually put them in the backpack and let the actual animal hang out the top -- it has worked four times now, but I am pretty careful when I throw the backpack around (after our initial debacle with the dinosaur!!).

WVParkfan
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
We finally got to see her for the first time during our trip in March. Miyuki is very talented, but can be very difficult to understand.

All-in-all, definitely worth the 15 minutes to watch her make the candy.