PDA

View Full Version : Buying childs meal when on DP

RockinRollerMom
05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Can you pay for a child's meal at a TS and use TS credits for the adults?

On our next trip my DM has decided to come with us for a few days. She is going to stay in our room, but only stay 4 out of 7 nights. In order for her to do this she had to purchase the same package as us. (7day hopper with 7day meal plan eve) -It still was the cheapest option for us.

So since we have the 3 extra credits, we are going to splurge and go to the Cali Grill. So I will want to use the TS for the adults, but I will be short one for my DD. Can I pay OOP for DD? I am hoping this won't be a problem because it is not like I am banking her TS credits to use as adults TS credits.

Any-one have any experience with this? Thanks!

Natazu
05-05-2008, 03:18 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to pay out of pocket for a child at a TS meal but use TS credits for the adults in the meal. That is perfectly fine.

Oh, and looks like you're going to have some park days left over on your DM's ticket. If you haven't already, maybe do the no-expire option and save the tickets 'til prices go up a bunch.

dolphinmickey9170
05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
We do that almost every meal. Our DGD is almost 2 and we buy her a meal all her own and use our TS credits for ourselves. We will just pay for her meal with the tip that isn't included. Works great! You could even use TS credits for one of the adults (this way only using two) and pay out of pocket for the second meal if necessary. The CM are really accomodating to your needs.

RockinRollerMom
05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Yep, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Glad it shouldn't be a problem.

I looked into the no expiration ticket, but all four of us would have to get the no expiration (Me, DH, DD and DM) Since 3 out of the 4 would not be needing the no expiration, it wan't really worth the extra expense of putting it on all 4 tickets. I was surpirsed that it was less than $10 from a 7 day park hopper and a 4 day park hopper. So all we really had to pay was for the 3 extra meal plan days. It actually worked out really well because we are going to use the extra TS credit for a signature dining meal, which we would have never done.

cal5755
05-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Yep, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Glad it shouldn't be a problem.

I looked into the no expiration ticket, but all four of us would have to get the no expiration (Me, DH, DD and DM) Since 3 out of the 4 would not be needing the no expiration, it wan't really worth the extra expense of putting it on all 4 tickets. .

I do believe once you arrive and check in and get your tickets you can go and upgrade just your mom's ticket to no expiration. If I am wrong someone here will correct me but Mom and I are planning on upgrading our tickets to AP once we get into the parks because we will be going again in November.

elmjimmlm
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to pay out of pocket for a child at a TS meal but use TS credits for the adults in the meal. That is perfectly fine.

You can use a child TS for an adult TS? I was not aware of this...Is this something new?:confused:

irish1967
05-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Actually, how would they do this? If I am reading this correctly, you will have 1 childs TS credit left but actually need 2, right? Will they charge you for half of her meal or will you have to pay for the entire thing?

I would check to see how they would actually handle it and pay OOP for another meal earlier in the week in order to be sure that you don't end up having to pay for her entire meal!

You can use a child TS for an adult TS? I was not aware of this...Is this something new?:confused:

No, this isn't allowed the rule is that child TS credits are used for children's meals UNLESS a restaurant doesn't offer a childrens menu in which case the TS credit would be applied to the meal chosen off the regular menu.

RockinRollerMom
05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I am not trying to use a child TS for an adult TS. We have 3 extra TS's due to my mother only being at WDW for 4 out of the 7 day meal ticket that we had to get her. But since we don't have an extra child's TS I wanted to pay OOP. It would be cheaper to pay for Cali Grill than to use 2 credits for her on it. That way I can use her credits on 1 credit meals. Hope this makes sense.

If any-one else has any info on the no-expiration option that would be great. When I looked into it origianlly I was told all 4 of us would have to get the option. But if DM can get the option only for herself at check-in we'll definitely do that.

katzctkpt
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Makes more since after the last post. I don't think it should be a problem to pay for 1 child ts. We've dined with a family that had the ddp and we didn't have a problem, they split the bill and we paid our portion etc...

elmjimmlm
05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I am not trying to use a child TS for an adult TS. We have 3 extra TS's due to my mother only being at WDW for 4 out of the 7 day meal ticket that we had to get her. But since we don't have an extra child's TS I wanted to pay OOP. It would be cheaper to pay for Cali Grill than to use 2 credits for her on it. That way I can use her credits on 1 credit meals. Hope this makes sense.

If any-one else has any info on the no-expiration option that would be great. When I looked into it origianlly I was told all 4 of us would have to get the option. But if DM can get the option only for herself at check-in we'll definitely do that.

Sorry I didnt understand what you had said...I was thinking a child TS for an adult TS...It would be good if you could do that considering how inexpensive the chidrens menu is....Here is a ? on using a child TS if no child menu...Can you use a child TS for an adult in this case?

laward32
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
When we went in Dec 06 my husband only went for 4 days and we were there for 8. We used his extra 3 TS and used them to eat dinner one night because we had done a breakfast and couldn't do a dinner. It worked out well. When we went in Dec 06 they didn't separate the kids from the adults. This is know changed. When we went in Oct 07 on our receipts it would tell us how many adults and how many children.:mickey:

Natazu
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Sorry I didnt understand what you had said...I was thinking a child TS for an adult TS...It would be good if you could do that considering how inexpensive the chidrens menu is....Here is a ? on using a child TS if no child menu...Can you use a child TS for an adult in this case?
The only restaurants I know of without a child menu are not on the dining plan.

Jared
05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Lots of questions in this thread! Let's try to sort everything out.

You will have no problem purchasing your daughter's meal out-of-pocket. This is a common scenario, and it's great you will now have the opportunity to try California Grill. Thank your mother for leaving early!

I do believe once you arrive and check in and get your tickets you can go and upgrade just your mom's ticket to no expiration. If I am wrong someone here will correct me but Mom and I are planning on upgrading our tickets to AP once we get into the parks because we will be going again in November.
I think you're right. A few years ago, my mother, sister and I added a day to our tickets when my dad and brother went to Universal for the day. I'm sure you could add the no expiration option to just one ticket once you arrive.

The only restaurants I know of without a child menu are not on the dining plan.
Same here, but almost everything I know comes from Jym. ;)

:tasty:

wendy*darling
05-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Here is a ? on using a child TS if no child menu...Can you use a child TS for an adult in this case?
An adult can never use a child's TS credit.

A child can choose an adult entree with their child TS credit ONLY if there is no child's menu available at that restaurant. But as has already been stated- the restaurants without kids' menus do not participate in the DDP- so it's a non-issue.