PDA

View Full Version : Anyone of Italian descent out there?

Cinderelley
05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm trying to work on a project for school. I'm supposed to find methods that Italians use for health restoration, but I'm coming up with zilch on the internet. My book lists some things, but they seem rather odd (not to offend anyone) so I'm not sure how current they are. The book lists
For a cough or cold
1 - Put a warm red brick wrapped in wool cloth on the chest
2- Inhale very hot water with turpentine or drink boiled wine with apples
Evil Eye
1 Drink cod liver oil
Colic
1 - Drink fennel seed tea
2- Pray to god
Upset stomach
1- Drink water mixed with sugar and bay leaf

Does anyone know whether these things are still used?

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know if this is like a straight from Italy remedy, but many Italians in my area swear by drinking a glass of warm milk with a shot of whiskey when you feel a sore throat/cold coming on. Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

Cinderelley
05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes, it is.

After searching the internet for 3 days without success, I'll take just the whiskey please. :D

Congrats on your engagement!

disneydeb
05-04-2008, 06:03 PM
YES!

My first child was very collicy and I prayed to God alot about it! ;)

Ian
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
My maternal Grandfather was 100% Italian and I've heard family stories about the warm brick. They actually (supposedly) used it on my Grandfather when he was young.

I don't have any others that I can think of, though. I've heard of the whiskey one.

BronxTigger
05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
One of my coworkers (well, probably more than one, but anyways...) is Italian so I'll print this and hopefully I will a) see her tomorrow and b) remember to ask her about these!

MsMin
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
My maternal side is 100% Sicilian (many consider that Italian too) My mom said that every spring they had to drink lemonade with a tablespoon of cream of tarter in it to "clean their blood" She said they would put a big pitcher on the table and everyone had to drink a glass.
When I was born I had a red spot on my forehead (like a stork bit) and they put a coral charm (the Mano Cornuto) on me to make it go away.
Did you search for Italian home remedies? I just did and found a few about garlic (go figure:blush:)
Good luck!

Cinderelley
05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Did you search for Italian home remedies? I just did and found a few about garlic (go figure:blush:)
Good luck!

No, I hadn't tried that wording yet. Thanks for the idea.

I'm adding your other remedies to my list. Thanks!