PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe - No More Ketchup Antics?!?

Maleficent's Dad
05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Just back this week from the VWL.
Went to WCC twice - and they now have ketchup on every table when you're seated... You didn't have to "ask for ketchup" while there. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change???

If so, sad... :(

mrsgaribaldi
05-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope not. I've never been there but I love to read the stories. It always sounds like alot of fun for kids:mickey:

Natazu
05-04-2008, 01:07 AM
It is sad but I knew there would be a point when somebody who's annual bonus is based on bottom line would say to them self "you know, we go through a lot of ketchup".

Nini
05-04-2008, 01:26 AM
We noticed this when we were there this past December. All of the other usual antics seemed to be going on though :) .

Denise :mickey:

CrknJac
05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
We were at the Wilderness Lodge in March and witness the ketchup routine a few times while we were sitting in the lobby.

Piglet822
05-04-2008, 08:43 AM
We had breakfast at WCC on April 20th and the ketchup routine was alive and well, as well as birthday celebrations and other such antics.
We also had an excellent server (I can't recall her name) but she really had a very upbeat attitude that totally fit in to the restaurant's theme :)
It was the first time for several people in our party and everyone had a great time and a wonderful meal :thumbsup:

DISNEYLOVERS5
05-04-2008, 08:45 AM
So How Do Yu Get Them Started

#1donaldfan
05-04-2008, 09:29 AM

upon checing in you have to ask to be "paired" with a CM who is willing to play along....we learned this a little too late last year....:cool:

HndrdPrcnt
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow!! This got my heart racing! I just hate when Disney takes something great and screws it up!! We love the WCC and 3/4ths of the fun is all the antics...including the ketchup routine. I sure hope that they don't make this restaurant just another boring ol' restaurant because the food is not enough to carry this place.

Strmchsr
05-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Just ask for ketchup. That's all it takes.

bicker
05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I think after a time they really need to come up with new shticks and decommission the old ones. In some cases, I think it is getting like patrons are treating the CMs like trained dogs. :(

Kairi_7378
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe they've come up with a new "antic" to do during meals? It seems like everyone knows about the ketchup trick and they might want to try something different.

SgtTigger
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
They do start out every day with the Ketchup on every table.......

Things happen during the day to change it when you sit down just move the bottle to another table.and have someone ask for it.........

:cop: :tigger:

Young@Heart
05-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Just ask for ketchup. That's all it takes.

:( As long as your CM (waiter/waitress) plays along. Ours was training and had enough trouble just getting the food and beverages to our table. It was our first time there, and it was a horrible experience. After reading up a lot on this place, getting a trainee was a big, big let-down. And the person training him (seemed like a manager or at least someone in charge) was getting very frustrated w/ his mistakes w/ our meal. Everyone around us was having a great time w/ their "experienced" CM's. DH wanted to complain, but it was our last night so we just ate quickly and left.

The moral of the story: If you want to ensure the ketchup antics, or any other antics for that matter, make sure your CM isn't training. :thumbsup:

mouseaddict
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
We went in August and they did the whole Ketchup routine, when we went in February they had a giant blow up ketchup bottle and that was what they brought to our table..and we weren't even thinking about the routine..my poor DS just wanted ketchup!

SFTrny
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
They can't do the same thing for every family every day of every year for multiple years in a row. I am glad that they are changing things. Knowing the "ketchup thing" and triggering it on demand is not really magical. I like that they are moving away from this and finding new ways to create magic without a predicatable repeat of a common schtick.

garymacd
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm glad the ketchup schtick is still going. I remember one time where a woman at another table started crying when all the bottles ended up on her table. I was afraid maybe she complained and that put a stop to it.

That would be a bummer.

Bohms4
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
We ate there on April 17th and they did the Ketchup thing.

laward32
05-05-2008, 12:37 PM
We ate there in Oct and the ketchup thing was being done. We had a great time. Our waitress was awesome. She really had fun picking on my dad. She was real sweet with my girls, but she had fun with me, my mom and my dad. I don't want to spoil anything for people who will be going or would like to go some day. We will definately eat there again.:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
DD LOVED the ketchup routine when we were last there.

She ran around all meal, even when we didn't have ketchup on our table :)

The table beside us even gave her a tip for getitng all of the ketchup for them. The dollar bill is in our scrapbook...a little thing, but DD was so happy :mickey:

Mrs.Mickey
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
We went in Oct. and the ketchup thing was done, everyone seemed to have a good time with it. Since we were on our honeymoon one of the waiters made us stand up and kiss for ten seconds straight it was kinda embarrassing but we played along. The one thing I hope they never stop doing is bothering the people on thier cell phones, I think thats great!

c&d
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
We ate there April 26 and the ketchup was moving from table to table.

crazypoohbear
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm glad the ketchup schtick is still going. I remember one time where a woman at another table started crying when all the bottles ended up on her table. I was afraid maybe she complained and that put a stop to it.

That would be a bummer.

wow, Was she really crying about it?

TheRustyScupper
05-06-2008, 12:24 AM
1) Antics during the meal are contingent upon
. . . the mood of the servers that day
. . . the crowd levels and time for servicing guests
. . . phase of the moon
. . . willingness of guests to join in on the fun
2) It is different every meal and every day.
3) Hope you just catch it on a good meal.

NOTE: I have seen days where people at the Front Desk couldn't hear one another, and so quiet on other days that you can hear the lobby music clearly.

crltkcagle
05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Ok not everyone knows about the ketchup thing. We are booked there for this sept. what exactly are the ketchup antics?

Maleficent's Dad
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Ok not everyone knows about the ketchup thing. We are booked there for this sept. what exactly are the ketchup antics?
Usually you have to ask for ketchup - and that's where the fun begins... :secret: ;)

However, last week, I dined there twice, and ketchup was on the tables, already provided... That's the reason for my original post. Wondering if anyone's been there since last week who can update us. :confused:

katzctkpt
05-08-2008, 09:09 AM
We ate there last June and the cm wasn't a player. A member of our party asked for some water and here we thought she was gonna get this huge cup/bucket of water nope just a regular size. Other cm's were playing around with their tables etc...ours must've been new.

Coach48
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Feb 08 all was as it always was...giant fork,ketchup,waitress throwing straws across the table,chastising people on cell phones...just how it should be

King Triton
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
My very unofficial observation is that they don't seem to do the ketchup thing as much at lunch...maybe because the restaurant isn't as crowded, but they definitely do it during dinner hours.

smatterchu
06-02-2008, 04:27 AM
I agree that YMMV for sure with experience here. We booked dinner here for my birthday this year (April 8), and we definitely weren't feeling 'the magic'...

Our CM was nice enough, but he definitely didn't play with our table as much as many of the others seem to - which is a shame. Yes, it was the end of the night, but that was the only time we could get ADR...

The boys had a great time anyway, but since I kind of knew what to expect, it was kind of a let-down...

Sure, he 'sneezed' out some straws at the beginning, but there wasn't much else going on. There was a half-hearted ketchup hand-off between two tables -- but certainly nothing wide=spread...

I wish they would make sure things were more consistent. It's sad when the guests can see other tables having a totally different experience -- just several feet away....

just my 2 squished pennies... :mickey:

Giselle
06-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I was there at the end of April and you did have to ask for ketchup. Maybe it just depends on who is working.

The lady leading the children in the horse ride acted like she hated kids though and thought they shouldn't speak or make any noise while they rode around and just had an unhappy tone and attitude. There must be somebody who works there that they could have do that with a better attitude. I don't think it was part of the "informal" act, just a bad attitude.

RBrooksC
06-11-2008, 09:08 AM
My experience has been on both sides of the coin. I had read all the things one can say to get a reaction and the guy I did this to on the last time we had seating there had no clue what I was talking about so it was a let down.

However, the other time I was there that same trip was our first lunch. I was so darn thirsty that I drank my soda rather quickly. So, I got a very small mason jar glass of soda with a straw about three feet long. It was rather funny. That same time a child asked for crayons and everybody dumped their crayons on him.

So, it is feast of famine. However, when somebody is new it is, at least for me, difficult to place blame when the antics aren't done. It is tough enough at a new job to get the basics down let alone all the acting and games that need to be remembered.