PDA

View Full Version : Kids favorite things at World Showcase

RockinRollerMom
05-03-2008, 12:32 PM
On our next trip we are planning on spending more time at WS with our DD8. This will be her 4th trip to disney and is generally a thrill ride junkie. Our "theme" for this trip is things we haven't done before. We have walked through WS with her before and we have been to Norway's princess breakfst and have done the ride there. That's about it. I have gotten suggestions to do the passports with her, which I am planning on doing. Does any-one have any other suggestions for me? Any countries that your kids have particularly enjoyed. We are planning on spending at least a whole afternoon/evening there ending with illuminations.

KineGirl
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
There are some really awesome things to see

acrobats in China

by the Japan Tin Toy room the girls will write your name in kanji though this can be hit or miss but usually a hit!

Japan also has a totally neat store - especially if you have an anime lover on your hands. But other than that you can pick your own pearl, peruse kimonos, buy some pretty (but not expensive chopsticks) and pick up some really cool Japanese candy/treats

the Jammitors appearing closer to Innoventions

Off Kilter in Canada

Watch someone or get one yourself get a beautiful Moroccan/Indian Henna tattoo across from Morocco and dont forget to see the belly dancer!

the World Showcase Players - a comedy troupe to be found by England. Hilarious and interactive! Our #1 entertainment to see every trip

Dont forget to do the Kidcots in all the countries too! The kids think its fun and without them even knowing they learn a little something about each country. THen you have a cool mask (decorated little by little in each country) to bring home

illini
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Definitely the Chinese acrobats. We watched them several times. Wonderful.
My kids also enjoy shopping, even if they're not buying. Just looking at the different things from each country. Of course, the toy shop in Germany was the biggest hit and definitely involved some purchases-- and the start of a collection.
Off Kilter is also fun, but pretty loud. We didn't last long.
Kids also loved bumping into characters in their "native countries". Mulan in China, Belle in France, Mary Poppins in England, etc.

We actually spent a good chunk of 3 days at Epcot this last trip. Oldest DD had just turned 9 and she loved it, WS most of all. Let your DD pick out a couple of meals, even if just CS. Mine also liked getting little snacks to share from each country.

MickeyMomof2
05-03-2008, 04:21 PM
When I went as an eight year old, WS ended up being my favorite thing. I still have my pinata from Mexico! I think you are choosing a perfect age!

tinksmom02
05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
My daughter was only 4 and 5 on our last two trips, but she loved World Showcase! the posts above have given you some great suggestions to take advantage of--passports, KidCot stations, pick a pearl (you can get a pearl in a nice setting for about $40)...DD likes to watch the show in France...I forget what it's called, but it involves a "waiter" and chairs :thumbsup: I, personally, didn't care too much for the American Adventure (I think that's what it's called), but the Voices of Liberty acapella show beforehand is great!

RockinRollerMom
05-03-2008, 10:05 PM
We actually spent a good chunk of 3 days at Epcot this last trip. Oldest DD had just turned 9 and she loved it, WS most of all. Let your DD pick out a couple of meals, even if just CS. Mine also liked getting little snacks to share from each country.

Any suggestions for good CS? I think we have most of our ADR's set, but will be looking for a CS or two for our times in WS.

Thanks everone for all of your input. Your advice as always is invaluable.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
My boys like Malestrom water ride in Norway.

As for CS, they love to eat in China... the orange chicken and rice and don't forget the fortune cookies. It's always a competition to see who got the best fortune.

We also never miss a trip to France for yummy pastries. Last year we were able to get 2 pastries and a drink for 1 quickservice credit on the dining plan.

dizknee531
05-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Take some great pictures in Mexico all dressed in the hats, blankets and pinatas in the market. She could take the pics to school for extra credit. Have fun on whatever you decide to do!!:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

elmjimmlm
05-03-2008, 11:31 PM
The Mexico ride (cant remember the name)...Kidcot was fun and they want to go to every country next trip...Expressions de France was nice and my kids actually liked it...:mickey:

vorchik
05-04-2008, 06:00 AM
DD6 favourites: Kidcot stations; The Three Caballeros in Mexico; Mexico, Japan and Morocco shops; Norway Akershus Royal Banquet Hall dining with Princesses; Japan Teppan Edo dining

sara114
05-05-2008, 07:16 AM
When doing the passport with my grandson our last trip, I made sure to take a picture of the person signing the passport [with grandson in picture]. We also made a pressed penny with each country. After our trip, I made a "special" scrapbook for him with his trip around the world. Using the internet, I found information about each country....population,type of money, location compared to the USA, etc. I placed the picture for each country, the pressed penny, the picture of him with the cast member, and I have gotten some foreign currency also. I used this as a geography lesson as well as a way to remember the vacation.

cal5755
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
These are all great suggestions... we plan on spending a lot more time in the countries with the kids this time too. We always walk around but never really check them out. I plan on buying the passports this year.

My kids loved the acrobats in China, they love Norway and the Maelstrom, they love Mexico and the ride, they also like the circle vision movie in Canada.

I know you will have tons of fun in WS.

MickeyandTink
05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
The Mexico ride (cant remember the name)...Kidcot was fun and they want to go to every country next trip...Expressions de France was nice and my kids actually liked it...:mickey:

The ride in Mexico is now called "Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros". While DW and I liked it ok, DD (then 6) thought it was fantastic. It quickly became one of her favorites and we had to ride three times while we were there.

It was really nice sitting down in an air-conditioned spot for awhile during September, but it would have been better if we could have brought our :marg: on board. :blush:

TheMartellFamily
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
the passports are a great thing for the kids because they will learn a little bit about each country. Maybe what would be is to taste your way around the world. Try something from each country. Pick wone thing and try then move on to the next. There is so much to do that each time you make a round try something else to do. Do not forget the Kidcot. Chinese acrobats are a great little outside sidewalk show. Look for hidden Mickeys at each of the countries. One year for my sons souviners he got each of the Mickeys represented at each of the countries. Here is just a few things that are available to do around the WS but there is still so much more that others will come up with things to. Have fun and explore all of the countries you will have a great time.

biodtl
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
My kids really enjoy the Japanese drummers (DS is an aspiring drummer himself), the performers in Italy, the Mexico pavilion, and both rides. Oh - and they love eating in Japan for the tableside cooking.

KylesMom
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
My DS loves to participate in the "Sons & Daughters of Liberty" skit which occurs outside of the American Adventure with the drum & fife corp - it makes him feel very patriotic! :mickey:

He also loves to use his own digital camera to take pictures of the countries - we broke down & bought him his own inexpensive Kodak & it was a great investment!

Mary M
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Any suggestions for good CS? I think we have most of our ADR's set, but will be looking for a CS or two for our times in WS.

Tangierine Cafe is really good, if your daughter likes hummous and such.

disnyfan4ever
05-06-2008, 01:26 AM
When we went two years ago with DD who was 5 at the time, we had her ask and learn how to say thank you at each kidcot (passport station). We all learned something that day and it kept her very interested in all the different countries.

We are still discussing what to do this time (the end of this month, not that I'm counting)!

HndrdPrcnt
05-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Tangierine Cafe is really good, if your daughter likes hummous and such.

Here's another vote for the Tangierine Cafe! Or, if your kids like Fish 'n Chips, you can't beat the Fish 'n Chips in the UK. Other than that though, I would not waste your time or money for CS in Epcot. It really has a strong TS offering, however!!

Gator
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
My DD is a music lover (at the age of 2), and she really loved Liberty Voices.