PDA

View Full Version : Catal Restaurant in Downtown Disney

joyce
05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
We're coming in July and would like to hear from anyone who has eaten at this restaurant. What is the menu like? We have 16 and 22 year old daughters coming with us and they have a limited range of food they like! :mickey:

NotaGeek
05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
IMO Catal is the worst dining experience of any restaurant at ANY Disney Park I have had. Horrible service, barely edible food. I would suggest Hook's Point at the DLH for a good alternate. and they have a varied menu.

There are people that have reported back that Catal is great, unfortunately I would walk across the street and have McDonald's before I ever gave them a second chance, it was THAT bad!

BrerGnat
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I've never eaten there. I've had NO desire to. It's way, way, way overpriced "Mediterranean" food. There are some strange things on that menu. Definitely NOT for people who are not adventurous eaters.

In general, the Patina Group restaurants at DTD (Catal, Uva Bar, Tortilla Jo's), with the exception of Naples, are bad. Don't even stop at Tortilla Jo's either...just keep on walking. It is BAD Mexican food.

I would suggest Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at dinnertime. Their food, atmosphere, and service are top notch! Good stuff on the menu too, even for picky eaters.

If you really want to dine at DTD, Naples is a good bet as well. We've always had great food and service there (even when our 1 year old :ack: in the middle of our meal, they were great about cleaning it up and packing up our food/rushing the check, so we could go home).

Hook's point is mostly seafood (there is usually one chicken and one pork dish on the menu, the rest is seafood), but I hear it is very good and they have a good wine selection.

NotaGeek
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Hook's point is mostly seafood (there is usually one chicken and one pork dish on the menu, the rest is seafood), but I hear it is very good and they have a good wine selection.

Sorry, but Hooks point has beef, chicken, pasta, steaks, seafood, salad ... there's tons of selection. I am not sure when the last time you ate there, it's definitely not mostly seafood.

BrerGnat
05-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry, but Hooks point has beef, chicken, pasta, steaks, seafood, salad ... there's tons of selection. I am not sure when the last time you ate there, it's definitely not mostly seafood.

Sorry, but have to disagree with you there.

Of the current 19 selections on the menu (not including dessert), 12 of them are seafood items. This is over 60%.

Of the "non seafood" items, 2 are basic dinner salads, 3 of them are the chicken, pork, steak option, and the last two are pastas, one of which is vegetarian and the other sausage.

If you are not into seafood, there are NO appetizers for you.

I am sure that it's good and all, but I've not eaten there because the non seafood items don't appeal to me at all. I'm not that into pasta either. I don't eat seafood, so for me, it doesn't have the best selection.

For people who like seafood, it's an excellent choice for dinner.

NotaGeek
05-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Sorry, but have to disagree with you there.

Of the current 19 selections on the menu (not including dessert), 12 of them are seafood items. This is over 60%.

Of the "non seafood" items, 2 are basic dinner salads, 3 of them are the chicken, pork, steak option, and the last two are pastas, one of which is vegetarian and the other sausage.

If you are not into seafood, there are NO appetizers for you.

I am sure that it's good and all, but I've not eaten there because the non seafood items don't appeal to me at all. I'm not that into pasta either. I don't eat seafood, so for me, it doesn't have the best selection.

For people who like seafood, it's an excellent choice for dinner.

Maybe next time I will eat there I will have to try some fish. I have dined at Hook's at least 10 times in the past 4 years and never seemed to have any.

While Natalie has a good point and I concede that Hook's Point is heavy on the Seafood. I assure you,as someone that has actually eaten at the restaurant, there is no problem finding non-seafood items at Hook's Point.

Since this topic is actually about Catal, let's get back on track.

joyce
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
thanks for the info, I think there are plenty of other choices for us and we'll steer clear of this and the mex rest. I think we'll try the jazz rest, that sounds good and both girls like steak. only my hubby is a true seafood fan. we always go to blue bayou, so tomorrow i can make a priorty seating there.

Aisling
05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Joyce,
If your girls are big steak lovers and it might be in your budget - Steakhouse 55 is great for steak (it's in their name, they better be!). But, a meal for four can easily get up over $100. As for Catal, good call staying clear. Although, I've had breakfast there and thought everything was really good, but a bit pricey (something like $8.00 for oatmeal).
Jazz Kitchen is an excellent restaurant - heavy on seafood, but plenty of other items to suit varied tastes. Even my picky 10 year-old can find something yummy. Oh, and you simply MUST try the beignets in the morning. Yummmm!

NotaGeek
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks for the info, I think there are plenty of other choices for us and we'll steer clear of this and the mex rest. I think we'll try the jazz rest, that sounds good and both girls like steak. only my hubby is a true seafood fan. we always go to blue bayou, so tomorrow i can make a priorty seating there.

Jazz Kitchen is always a good choice, I tend to prefer lunch there for some reason. I heard really good reports from friends about the PCH Grill at the Paradise Pier Hotel ... evidently their pizza is really good.

AND ... you know, I always forget, but I have eaten at ESPN Zone a million times, it's a big varied menu and if the atmosphere doesn't bug you their food is pretty good.

BrerGnat
05-05-2008, 01:18 AM
AND ... you know, I always forget, but I have eaten at ESPN Zone a million times, it's a big varied menu and if the atmosphere doesn't bug you their food is pretty good.

So true! ESPN zone is the one restaurant at DLR that we have eaten at the MOST number of times. I have tried SO many things there, and everything has been so good (I am always surprised too, I guess I don't expect much for a "sports bar and grill" but the food is really good).

If you go there and want a semi quiet meal, ask to sit in the "EL Fuego" room, to the left of the podium. It's not as noisy in there.

Also, since you mentioned that your family likes steak, for an awesome burger, go to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at lunch and order a burger...they're made with ground filet mignon! They are DELICIOUS! I just had one a couple weeks ago and it was the best burger I've ever had in my life!

Lunchtime at the Jazz Kitchen is very pleasant, but leisurely (on weekdays). If you're looking for a long, drawn out relaxing lunch, this is the place. Their kitchen is S-L-0-W at lunchtime. Dinner service is faster, usually because they are busier. I've done lunch and dinner there 3x/each and this has been my experience over a couple years. Lunch is always slower than dinner. But, the food is excellent all the time! Try the bananas foster dessert for a good show tableside. :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Another 2 thumbs down for Catal (Three if I had another) I LOVE Mediterranean food, but this place is just horrible. Your better off having a drink and a appetizer at the UVA Bar.

Hooks Pointe is my favorite resturant at DLR, the seared Ahi is fabulous!

Two thumbs up for ESPN Zone.

Steakhouse 55 is a good option, but the last time I went the service was HORRIBLE!

Aisling
05-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Okay, I've just gotta ask - what are you ordering at ESPN Zone? I went there once and had the worst service and food experience. All I can remember is it was loud, really, really loud, the food was super greasy and our waitperson was nonexistent. I know you can sit in a quieter area (we were in the big room with the HUGE screen), but what food have you ordered that was good? I always like to give a place a second chance and since two of you recommended it, I think I'll try ESPN again.

BrerGnat
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay, I've just gotta ask - what are you ordering at ESPN Zone? I went there once and had the worst service and food experience. All I can remember is it was loud, really, really loud, the food was super greasy and our waitperson was nonexistent. I know you can sit in a quieter area (we were in the big room with the HUGE screen), but what food have you ordered that was good? I always like to give a place a second chance and since two of you recommended it, I think I'll try ESPN again.

Well, I've NEVER had a bad burger there. They are always excellent. The Smokehouse burger and Bacon Cheeseburger are exceptionally good.

I have also enjoyed the following:
-Buffalo Wings
-Chicken Tenders
-Sliders
-BBQ Chicken Pizza
-Grilled Steak Salad
-Chicken Caesar Salad
-Cajun Chicken Sandwich
-Guinness Roasted Chicken
-And my favorite item of all: Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae!!!

They used to have a BBQ pulled pork sandwich on the menu...it was excellent. Saw it once (it was a "special" and ordered it, and never saw it again). If you happen to see it, it's VERY good!

-

drevlo
05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Ooh! A "Catal" thread! Finally, I get to unleash my funny-ish Catal story.
A few years ago, I was cruising through DTD looking for a place to make a dinner res. We (the fam and I) has never eaten there...so I stopped in to check availability.
The young man at the counter told me that they were taking reservations, but that I would need to dress up a bit if I wished to dine there (seriously). I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts + flip flops at the time (much like more DLR guests on a nice day), and had to ask the young man how they manage to stick to a "higher" dress code in the middle of a family theme park resort? I cannot recall his answer, only that it was less than adequate...but whatever. We just decided that we would not eat there.
I told this story to my sister a few months later, she tends to be a little more "excitable" than myself. On her next trip to the DLR, she spied a patron on the Catal upper balcony dining while wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Recalling my story, she proceeded to the front desk and began to "make a bit of a scene" (according to my brother-in-law) about the apparent dress code discrepencies, and shared with them my story.
Keep in mind, I knew nothing about this.
All I know is that out of the blue, I get a tin of cookies in the mail, and a long apology letter from the manager of Catal.
You gotta love a Sister that looks out for her little bro...I guess:mickey:

joyce
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm suprised at the responses to my question about Catal, that's been crossed off the list for days as we have 5 nights for dinner and do not want to waste one on a rest. that's not fab. My daughter thats in college went to ESPN in orlando on a visit with a conference and thought the food there wasn't good and doesnt want to go to ESPN in ca. we are definitly going to blue bayou and our younger daughter loves the rain forest cafe, that still leaves a few choices. We've read good things on this site about steakhouse 55, blues, and jazz. any thoughts????:mickey: We arrive on Sat 7/5 which we know will be busy, don't know if we should book something for that night or just catch a burger????

Aisling
05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I would highly suggest a reservation for all the nights you are coming - that's a busy time at the parks.

What about a character meal? Have you thought of that for the girls? I know they are older, but you are never too old to see Mickey!

You only mentioned restaurants outside the parks, are the ones inside an option? If so, then you've got a lot of alternatives to the few in DtD.

NotaGeek
05-07-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm surprised at the responses to my question about Catal, that's been crossed off the list for days as we have 5 nights for dinner and do not want to waste one on a rest. that's not fab. My daughter thats in college went to ESPN in orlando on a visit with a conference and thought the food there wasn't good and doesnt want to go to ESPN in ca. we are definitly going to blue bayou and our younger daughter loves the rain forest cafe, that still leaves a few choices. We've read good things on this site about steakhouse 55, blues, and jazz. any thoughts????:mickey: We arrive on Sat 7/5 which we know will be busy, don't know if we should book something for that night or just catch a burger????

Steakhouse 55 is wonderful! It's definitely pricey, but the food is awesome. It's served ala carte style, but there is usually an fixe prixe menu that's 3 courses that I have enjoyed several times.

If you like Japanese cuisine, Yamabuki at Paradise Pier is great. This is sushi and some cooked options.

Since you are going around the 4th, and since the 4th falls on a Friday, unless you plan on counter service the whole time Priority Seatings are a must if you want a restaurant location. 4th of July is one of the absolute busiest days of the summer.

In Disneyland another good option would be Carnation Cafe (it's right on Main Street), it's a sit-down and the do take PS reservations. A great non- CS option would be the Plaza inn, which is also on Main Street. Food is served buffeteria style, they have amazing Fried Chicken and Roast Beef and the portions are massive.

If you feel like a Mexican Rancho del Zocalo is also buffeteria, and their I think their food is underrated. Try the taco salad!

For burgers at DLR Hungry Bear is my favorite, and the best kept breakfast secret in DLR is Tomorrowland Terrace.

DCA has Taste Pilot's Grille for yummy burgers or chicken sandwiches, and The Trattoria for good dinners of Italian Sonoma type cuisine (this is a nice place to try and watch Electric Parade if you can get a PS about 30 minutes before and get to the restaurant WAY early and request a seat near the street).

There are a few options at GCH, Storytellers has characters, and depending on the meal will have a menu or a buffet to choose from. White water snacks is a great lunch option, and there's quite a few people that love Napa Rose, but I haven't tried it, so no opinions for that one.

My favorite character meal is Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast. Great interaction and the food isn't bad. My 2nd favorite is the Minnie, Lilo and Stitch breakfast at PCH grill at PPH.

The only other place I would suggest in DTD is House of Blues for lunch (dinner's are WAY too loud there for me) or for the Gospel Brunch on Sunday.

Good luck.

joyce
05-07-2008, 12:22 PM
aisling- we are open to rest. in the parks also, we are going to try today to book blue bayuo for 7/8, we arrive 7/5, any ideas, i know its going to be busy but that was the only time we could come, then sunday we are at universal, and monday thru thurs, disney, we are book one night at rain forest for my 16 year old, some of the responses and others show people have lunch and dinner all set, wouldn't mind that myself. HELP and thanks for taking the time :mickey:

NotaGeek
05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
aisling- we are open to rest. in the parks also, we are going to try today to book blue bayuo for 7/8, we arrive 7/5, any ideas, i know its going to be busy but that was the only time we could come, then sunday we are at universal, and monday thru thurs, disney, we are book one night at rain forest for my 16 year old, some of the responses and others show people have lunch and dinner all set, wouldn't mind that myself. HELP and thanks for taking the time :mickey:
Can I ask what type of help and more ideas you are looking for? There are tons of suggestions on here, and we love to help, but we might need some clarification on exactly what you hope to find at the resort for food. :confused:

tinkwest
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM

joyce, you might get more responses if you start a new thread asking for Resort restaurant suggestions rather than continuing on in this thread which began as a question regarding only Catal. It would also be helpful to others looking for restaurant help who might skip this thread thinking it is all about one restaurant.