PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom help?

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-03-2008, 10:38 AM
A two years ago we were at AK right after opening and went to Conservation Station. When we arrived they told us we had just missed a medical procedure we could have watched. It was just a basic check-up for a monkey or something but it would have been cool too see. My oldest DD wants to be a vet and was excited. Does anyone know how to check a schedule for these things while on property without riding the train up to CS. My DD would love to see something like this even if it is something simple? Thanks for your help!

Goofeygal
05-03-2008, 11:29 AM
I love to know this also.

KineGirl
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I think for the most part they do alot of the stuff first thing in the morning (like most jobs) and then its just whatever pops up. But really its a hit or miss thing I think. One time I went about 2 in the afternoon and they told me they had examined a tiger that morning! I wouldve loved to have seen it if I only knew. One day there may not be any animal procedures, the next day 1, the next day 20. Maybe the CMs at the front gate with the smaller creatures would have an idea or it may be possible to call ahead the day before and find out what the schedule for that day is re procedures. I love going out there and seeing all the neat stuff too! I would call WDW guest relations and see what you could find out.

WDWdriver
05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Almost all procedures and physicals are done before noon. Most are not announced in advance. Exceptions would be for the larger animals, such as the tigers. In that case the CM managers in Asia would know about it. Likewise, the Africa managers would know if cheetahs, lions or other large animals were going to be off show due to medical procedures.

As a guest, the best way for you to find out is to ask a Guest Relations CM to check with the Conservation Station staff for you as you enter the park.

tinksmom02
05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
When we were there last September they were doing a partial amputation of a large bird (hawk? eagle? can't remember)'s talon. I was pretty impressed by it, but DD5 was kind of grossed out.

Anyway, we are NOT early birds (forgive the pun), so this had to be, late morning/early afternoon?

We just stumbled upon it, I don't remember anyone mentioning that they were doing it.

thejens
05-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I am sorry that you are obliged to go to the conservation station. I found it to be such a boring waste of time, but for a budding veterinarian I can see the appeal! Hope you get lucky!