PDA

View Full Version : Poor sportsmanship in Chicago yesterday

Jeff G
05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Yesterday the Brewers were playing the Cubs at Wrigley. In the 5th inning Yovani Gallardo, a young and upcoming pitcher for the Brewers, was on his way to cover 1st base when he was involved in a collision with Chicago's Reed Johnson hyper extending his knee. Gallardo went down right away in pretty obvious pain with what appeared to be a devastating knee injury. After being treated by the trainers for almost five minutes on the field he was able to get to his feet and test his leg. When he got up the Cub fans booed him. He ended up back in the game pitching another inning before being pulled by the trainers.

I didn't see this live but Bob Uecker(Brewers play by play announcer) was immediately concerned for Gallardo's health and well being while he was being attended to. Uecker who has been announcing baseball a long time was taken back when Yovani was booed.

The thing I can't stand about this is that after a player is injured in a play that looks pretty devastating why would fans boo him when he gets up. At every sporting event I've attended the home fans and team cheered when injured player was able to get up from injury, from youth to pro. As much as I want the Brewers to beat the Cubs I don't wish a season ending injury on any of their players. The Cub fans at this game who booed Gallardo were pathetic and showed very poor sportsmanship.

Today it was announced that Gallardo tore his ACL and will miss most if not all of the season something I would never wish on any athlete at the age of 22 who is just starting to come into his prime.

Ian
05-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd assume the boos were meant to imply that he was faking it. I've seen that happen quite often in hockey when a guy takes an obvious dive, then stays down on the ice for a bit to try and sell it.

When they get up and skate off, suddenly and miraculously cured, boos aren't uncommon.

Now in this case, quite obviously that didn't happen, but maybe the fans thought so? Although, why you'd fake an injury in baseball I have no clue.

In that same vein, I haven't mentioned yet how irritated I am that virtually no mention was ever made anywhere in the national sports media about the way the Canadiens fans behaved during game one of their series with the Flyers.

They threw beer on our players, interrupted interviews with profanities, and just in general behaved like total hockey hooligans.

But from the media? Silence ...

Let me tell you if it was Philly??? Oh boy, would it have been a big story. And of course we don't get any credit for behaving well when the Canadiens came into our arena, either. We can't win. :shake:

kakn7294
05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Jeff, I totally agree that it was terrible of the Cubs fans (or any fans for that matter) to boo an injured player - it's just wrong regardless of who that player is to wish an injury upon anyone.

Ian, aren't these wonderful, well-behaved fans in Philly the same people who booed Santa Claus? Perhaps that's enough said...

Hammer
05-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Ian, aren't these wonderful, well-behaved fans in Philly the same people who booed Santa Claus? Perhaps that's enough said...

Kathy, the Santa Claus incident happened around 1967-68. Your post is proof of what the media does. They would rather bring up a bad thing from 40 years ago than 5 good things done 5 minutes ago in Philadelphia. I will say Philly fans can sometimes take it too far, but there isn't any reason to so quickly accentuate the negative.

Ian
05-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Uh ... not to mention the fact that the media has never reported the truth about that incident!

They make it seem like this jolly old Santa Claus was out giving presents to the children and fans pelted him with snowballs.

Uh uh .... at halftime of the game there was supposed to be a big, fancy Christmas pageant. The team (which had a serious rep for being cheap already) claimed that the field was too muddy to play on, so they cancelled the Christmas pageant and replaced it with their cheerleaders and a 19 year old kid in a Santa suit.

The fans, who were already angry at ownership for dismantling a previously championship caliber team (allegedly to save money), got so angry at this lame display that it prompted them to boo and throw a few snowballs on to the field. It was hardly raining down snowballs on the kid ... in fact, the word "pelted" is probably even too strong. There's not even any evidence that any of them hit the kid.

But thank you, Kathy, for going out of your way to prove my point so clearly. The national media loves to retell these lame stories over and over again.

Scar
05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Yea, that Santa thing was, from what I’ve read, totally blown out of proportion.

Now, two things I have seen with my own eyes (and ears) were the Phillies fans booing Mike Schmidt at the end of his career… his hall of fame career… probably the greatest player ever to put on a Phillies uniform.

And just two weeks ago I saw Jose Reyes get cheered as he lay on the ground after jamming his head into either Utley or Bruntlett’s leg. Then booed as he slowly stood up. (He did stay in the game.)

And just to show I’m not (too) biased ;), I also saw the Met fans boo Santana as he left the field in his Shea debut. This after genuflecting when we got him and after two brilliant road performances to start the season. :rolleyes:

kakn7294
05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for allowing me to make your point for you! Honestly, I was only vaguely aware of the incident with Santa - it was DH who pointed it out (and insisted I post it) and neglected to tell me it happened before I was born! That's the last time I listen to him. He needs to find his own message board or register for himself (although I suspect he wouldn't last long).

Ian
05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Scar, I'm not trying to imply that Philly fans don't act poorly from time to time.

What irks me is this fraudulent reputation we have as being like the worst fans on the planet. We have our moments, but no worse than any other fans really. At least fans from the Northeast, where we take our sports very seriously.

Jeff G
05-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Philly fans in general do have bad reputations and in some cases rightfully so. I had a friend who attended an Eagles game a few years back in his Packers gear. He was mocked in the parking lot and had beer dumped on him in the stadium. The sad thing is this is a soft spoken person who I can guaranty didn't bring it on himself.

alphamommy
05-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Scar, I'm not trying to imply that Philly fans don't act poorly from time to time.

What irks me is this fraudulent reputation we have as being like the worst fans on the planet. We have our moments, but no worse than any other fans really. At least fans from the Northeast, where we take our sports very seriously.

Now, now, don't take that title away from Detroit! :blush: :bang:

Seriously, I can't believe when fans boo an injured player, regardless of the team. People always talk about the "Malice at the Palace" in 2006 involving the Pacers, the Pistons, and some unruly fans. No one remembers the 1996 playoff game when Chris Pronger was critically injured at Joe Louis Arena (I think his heart actually stopped momentarily). Most Red Wings fans couldn't stand the guy, but the arena erupted in a standing ovation as he was carried from the ice.

I'm not going to say that our fans always have their brains engaged, but I too wish that the media would remember the good things that fans do as well as the bad. It's a shame to see any city painted with the "bad fan" paintbrush.

PirateLover
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is terrible that he was booed. But it does happen everywhere

I'm glad my fellow Philadelphia sports fans cleared up the Santa thing because honestly, every time I hear someone whip that out it makes me want to :ack:
The guy who played Santa admits he would've booed himself.

Now, two things I have seen with my own eyes (and ears) were the Phillies fans booing Mike Schmidt at the end of his career… his hall of fame career… probably the greatest player ever to put on a Phillies uniform.

And just two weeks ago I saw Jose Reyes get cheered as he lay on the ground after jamming his head into either Utley or Bruntlett’s leg. Then booed as he slowly stood up. (He did stay in the game.)

We are very quick to boo here. Ryan Howard is already getting booed for his slump in April. I don't agree with it.

I was at the Mets game where Reyes was cheered. I can't speak for the whole stadium but I can tell you how it went down in my section. To lay the foundation, I have never seen the Mets-Phillies rivalry so fervent. There were Mets fans in our section that would stand up and get in people's faces every time a play was made. One guy in our section stood and cheered almost the entire time the Mets were up to bat and the usher finally had to tell him to sit. This behavior obviously brings on similar retaliatory behavior from the Phillies fans. Originally, all the cheers were from Mets fans because Reyes was safe. When he didn't get up, then the Phillies fans cheered, mostly to jeer at the Mets fans. Sort of like a "haha, your guy made a great play but now he injured himself." Then when Reyes stayed in the game people booed because they assumed he was faking. Was it appropriate? Nope. Not trying to explain it away at all, it was wrong. But reverse the situation and have the injured party be Jimmy Rollins at Shea. I would bet money that a similar chain of events would've went down.

The truth of the matter is this kind of behavior happens everywhere, and it's ashame. But here we take it a little more personally because people like to pile on. We aren't the only town that throws beer on people, we don't throw batteries at everyone, 9 out of 10 of us aren't going to seek you out and harass you just because.... it happens everywhere.

Scar
05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree that Philadelphia fans get a bad rap, at least when compared with other cities. I only pointed it out because I have way more interaction with Philly and its fans than any other city. I actually live closer to Philly than New York.

In the many events I have seen in Philly, I have never had a problem. I was at an Eagles / Giants game two years ago, (the one where the Giants came back from 17 down in the 4th), and everyone around me was great. Some of the same people who were treating me with respect were dishing it out to other Giants fans, and sometimes pretty nasty. Why? Because those Giants fans were acting just as nasty (and drunk.)

TheAdventurer
05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm originally from Milwaukee, and I've had plenty of negative experience with Chicago sports fans, both back home, and here in Boston--such as the time I was sitting on the subway, minding my own business, and was verbally accosted by some kid who was a Cubs fan just because I was wearing a Brewers hat.

I'm also a fan of the New Englad Revolution, and in Major League Soccer memebrs of supporters groups usually get along with each other, but the Chicago Fire has become possibly our most hated rival, in part beccause of a perception that Fire fans are, in general, jerks.

At Disney World around New Years this past year, as I was exiting AK, there was a little boy, maybe five years old, wearing a Cardinals hat and Cardinals T shirt. The CM at the turnstyle says to him "Hey looks like you're a Cardinals fan. Think they'll do good this year?" to which the boy nods. Then behind me a man in his 30s, wearing an illinois shirt says "Yeah, they're going to lose to the Cubs!" I mean, who talks smack to a 5 year old at Disney World?

Certainly not all Chicago fans are bad, and I've had some positive experiences too (such as sitting at a sports bar watching a Packers-Bears game and having friendly banter with the Bears fans next to me who were in Boston on vacation), but there definitely are a number of bad apples.

In general I've had much better experiences with Philly fans than Chicago fans!

BluewaterBrad
05-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I bet concessions sold a lot of :beer::beer: that day!!:mickey:

Thumper03
05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
There are a few knowledgeable Cubs fans out there. The folks that go to Wrigley on the other hand usually aren't there for the baseball. Over the past 20-25 years it has become a tourist attraction for people that want to see ivy grow up a brick wall (how exciting:scratch:), and drink :beer:excessively.

Coach48
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I know they had a makeshift courtroom at the Vet in Philly to deal with unruly fans.I wonder if they moved it to Lincoln Field.So much for us ugly New Yorkers.

KylesMom
05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
There are a few knowledgeable Cubs fans out there. The folks that go to Wrigley on the other hand usually aren't there for the baseball. Over the past 20-25 years it has become a tourist attraction for people that want to see ivy grow up a brick wall (how exciting), and drink excessively.
Yup, that's why I converted to the South Side team about 22 years ago - when the White Sox & Brewers were in the same division. :D Seriously, there are some great baseball fans in Chicago, but obviously not the ones who were largely in attendance yesterday. Shame on them. I can only imagine Ueker's dismay when this whole thing took place. :( And horrible for Gallardo.

Jasper
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I think this thread points up a much bigger problem that is going on not only in our country but around the world. We all seem to be looking for a "tribe" to belong to and then when we find that "tribe" we can't have any compassion or civility for anyone that is not a part of that "tribe." And yes, that "tribe" can be those people who support a particular sports team, political candidate, or even religion. We certainly seem to be gradually moving away from acceptance of those who are different from us and closer to total intolerance of those who are different from us in some way. And I don't think any one of us or any one community has the market cornered on this issue.

I don't know what we need to do to overcome this but if we don't find a way it is eventually going to tear us all apart.

PirateLover
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
I know they had a makeshift courtroom at the Vet in Philly to deal with unruly fans.I wonder if they moved it to Lincoln Field.So much for us ugly New Yorkers.
The city opened up a jail inside the stadium with a judge to deal with fans removed from the stands during Eagles games after a Monday night game between the Eagles and 49ers in 1997 that was marred by a lot of drunks fighting mainly in the 700 level. Lincoln Financial Field did have a small jail when it opened, however, they got rid of it because it really turned out to be unnecessary.