PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic Pkg. or counter service & wait in line?

5fromabove
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi! I'm working on a tentative (possible, surprise) trip during the Free Dining in late Aug. I tried to get ressies for the Fantasmic pkg and the only thing I could get was Hollywood and Vine at 4:00. First, that's REALLY early for us to eat (we eat around 6 usually) ... and second, I don't know anything about that place. Is it worth it enough to go that early just to get into Fantasmic...or would you just eat counter service at a better time and wait in line to get into the show? Thanks for any input. :)

nyobabe2
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I would actually just keep the reservation up until the last minute and keep calling to see if anything has opened up for later (try asking for say 5:45 rather than 5:30, they book every 15 mins.) I always book this and then if were in the mood to see Fantasmic then we go. You really don't want to stand in line for an hour at the end of the day. It is a great show and if you're going during crowded times you'll be glad you have adrs. Plus, August, very hot out to wait in lines! The food there is standard Disney, nothing you can't get everywhere else. The only nice thing is it's buffet so everyone is happy and you can eat as soon as you get in.

Hope I helped

katzctkpt
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
We've always stood in line for about an hour. The sun has gone down and yes it's still hot but you don't have the sun beating down on you. Just get a drink and snack before getting in line and be sure to have used the restroom. People aren't to kind to let you back to your party if you've gotta go (little kids involved) I guess some have forgotten what little ones are like. We were looking at booking this pkg for Dec and decided that paying about $50 - $60 more for a guaranteed seat wasn't worth it. We'll take our chances in standby. It is a show you most definately want to see but, the extra $$ can be spent on something else like a souvenier.

nyobabe2
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
But it's free dining(YAY!) No need to put out any extra $$$.

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
There are definitely better places to eat than at H & V, and if it is late August and not a weekend, the crowds could be light enough that you don't have to line up early and you can still get in and get a seat. But, we prefer to not risk it and we've always done the package deal.

Honestly, H & V is not great, but it's not bad. You can eat and then have time to do a few attractions before the show, and you have the reassurance of showing up and having seats vs waiting in line. There used to be a sundae bar at H & V for the kids-my kids loved that. I think they still have it. Good luck making the decision.

DISNEYFIX
05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
We've always stood in line for about an hour. The sun has gone down and yes it's still hot but you don't have the sun beating down on you. Just get a drink and snack before getting in line and be sure to have used the restroom. People aren't to kind to let you back to your party if you've gotta go (little kids involved) I guess some have forgotten what little ones are like. We were looking at booking this pkg for Dec and decided that paying about $50 - $60 more for a guaranteed seat wasn't worth it. We'll take our chances in standby. It is a show you most definately want to see but, the extra $$ can be spent on something else like a souvenier.

The package costs extra? If so how much?
Thanks

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Unless something has changed since I have been there last, the package does not cost extra. H & V and Mama Melrose are one DP credit and Hollywood Brown Derby is two credits. When not using the Dining Plan, you pay a fixed price rate for the package, but it is the same price at H & V for the package as it is for the meal alone.

nyobabe2
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
That's correct, there is no extra charge for getting the package.It's just that there are only 3 restaurants that offer the "special ticket" for your seating. So if you're getting the DP for FREE why not take advantage!:) You can always change your mind that day if you don't want to go.

elmjimmlm
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
We have been in Aug. and we did not do the package...I didnt have a problem standing in line to wait...My kids were very good waiting because they knew what they were waiting on was worth it...:thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Depends on who's eating...We've done the H&V pkg 3 times, thought the food was not fantastic but found plenty on the buffet to our liking.
Last trip we took we had some pretty finicky eaters with us. Seems odd to me but out of
Marrakhesh, Rose/Crown/50 Diners and H&V--it was by far their favorite meal.

fairies*n*fireflies
05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Since you have the DP, I would use it. There is a really good dessert bar there and like others have said, plenty of choices for everyone to choose from. I didn't think it was that bad, worth it to me to get the special seating for the show.

sardanem
05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi. We will be there in late August and we have 4:00 ressies at Hollywood & Vine with the Fantasmic reservations. I am not thrilled about the time. I agree, 4:00 is a little early, but it is a vacation, so we will just relax and enjoy it. I haven't been to Fantasmic since 2000, but absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back. We were at H & V last March. I agree with everyone else. It was not great, but with 3 kids, 6, 13 & 16, I know there will be something for everyone.

Lisa:mickey:

MarkC
05-03-2008, 09:22 PM
We did this package last year during spring break. I thought the food was pretty good for a buffet. I had two teenage boys with me and they enjoyed, but not as much as Biergarten. Eat a brunch and then take your 4pm ressie. You will enjoy not having to get to Fantasmic early. With free dining going on I'm guessing most restaurants will be very busy. Enjoy the trip. Mark

Natazu
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Let me preface this by saying we usually are a party of two, sometimes four and we always go during off-peak times (Jan, Apr, Sep, Oct, early Dec). We never use the package. We get in line for F! about 40 minutes before the show, we walk straight to the Mickey section and go down about half way and start looking for room. We've found great seats every time.