PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unreasonable?

KEYONNAH
05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Need opinions from those of you with kids or who do childcare for a living. For the last 2 years I've been babysitting 3rd shift for my neighbor. His son is 8. Until school started this year I agreed to his $50 a week rate. However I decided it wasn't worth $50 to deal with the bad behavior of this kid. I sprung a rate increase to $75 a week when school started. His dad is know mad that I won't go down to $50 during the summer and because when he promises double the wages for Saturday nights that I expect to get it. Am I being unreasonable?? Everyone in our complex tells me I should be charging more. What do you guys think?

offwego
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
It would help a little to know how many hours your talking about.

If it is truly about the child's behaviour does the money make it any better?

The wages for Saturday are a different thing but have you ever asked or given the rates in writing? Most of my caregivers have over the years to avoid misunderstandings.

I can understand being upset about a 25.00 increase as that's really a third of the price which would seem pretty steep. (but if you provide comparable pricing that might help, I'm not saying it's not legit just that it would seem steep to have any item your paying jump 33% at once)

katzctkpt
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Let me understand, you babysit M-F 3rd shift PM and only charge $50 and have recently increased to $75. Have you taken into consideration the meals he eats with you. Have you addressed this with the father? I think you're undercharging him and if he is upset find out the going rates at other daycare services and see how yours compare. Then tell him that you're gonna raise your rates to compare with other daycares. Where I live I do in home daycare through the state (state assisted daycare program) and I also do private pay my rates are the states set rates. I could charge more for private pay but, I don't. Infants-2 are $18 / 2-3 yr olds are $17 / 4+ are $16 and evening daycare after 7pm goes up I think $2 on the day and this applies for weekend and holidays. The state also has a food per diem of $3.78 per child for 2 meals and 1 snack. The per diem is based on the area you live in and the number of students enrolled in the school district that receive reduced or free school meals.
I hope this info helps you.

Mickey'sGirl
05-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I think you are selling yourself short. My children are $25 each per day, and this increases to $30 each per day in the summer when they are not in school.... and I think I am getting a break. I make their lunches, and their daycare provides the snacks. I agree with your neigbours.

Tygger7
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I used to babysit, but now my DD does during the summers. She gets $20 per day, and averages about 8 hours per day. Over 15 years ago, I got $150 a week for infant care (up to age 4), $100 per week during summer, and $75 per week for before & after school child care. And this was per child...however I would give discounts for siblings.

I agree with the other poster that said you should have things in writing with anyone you babysit for, to protect both of you. I used to do one-year contracts for my clients, which worked out great. You can search on the internet and find all sorts of great templates to get you started.

As for behavoir problems, I had a 3-strike policy. Meaning, I spelled out unacceptable behaviors in the contract (hitting, biting, serious disobedience, etc.) and would address these issues immediately with the parent(s). If the bad behavior continued after 3 meetings with the parents, I would give them a 30-day notice to find another childcare provider. I had to consider the safety & well-being of the other children I watched, and it's not fair to them to have one child disrupting everything.

Hope this helps....childcare is a tough business all the way around, and kudos to you for sticking through the situation as long as you have.

TheRustyScupper
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
1) Twenty years ago I paid more for childcare than you are charging.
2) Very politely ask the gentleman to come up to current rates.

KEYONNAH
05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the info. To the person who asked how many hours I babysit, it's usually 45 hours. 11pm to 8am when he gets on the bus or his dad comes home. He cancels with no notice. Ijumped from $10 a night to $15 because it is easier to figure costwise since he cancels on me at least once a month. If I used an odd figure he would expect me to have change every week. By Friday I have no money because that's payday at my regular job. I raised rates last September and am not pushing hard for another increase just want what is agreed on for weekends. He normally pays me first thing on Friday morning or calls if he's working late and can't, but today he didn't do either. Probably trying to tell me that he's in charge not me.

Jeff G
05-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Your charging less than $2/hour which I don't find at all excessive.

Here is my logic. My DD took a babysitting class a few weeks ago and even kids who baby sit are advised to charge $2+ per child per hour.

My DW watches kids and for infants & toddlers she charges $3 per hour and when she watches school age it's $2.50/hour(both are well below market rates).

I would imagine that the majority of the time he is over is spent sleeping but you are still getting him up and ready for school and feeding breakfast. I would offer a small discount but not a bunch.

Either way the $75/week is still very cheap, if we were in the same boat I would opt for $100 -125/ week.

thrillme
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I think you're being quite reasonable in your rates. If he thinks he can find someone else cheaper then so be it.

The $25 increase suddenly is perhaps a little steep because it's 1/3rd the amound but you've been undercutting yourself for a while. Perhaps start with a notice of $10 increase then after a few months increase it again to $15 that way he'll have plenty of notification to find someone else if he wants (good luck...even at $75 that's quite a bargin for all day daycare).

In the meantime I would consider talking to him about his son's ill behavior. Sometimes kids are totally different at home than what they are in someone else's house. A parent can't "fix" what they don't know.

KEYONNAH
05-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I increased rates last year to $75 and he hasn't complained until now.

King Triton
05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I think you're way undercharging.

I'm probably being cold, but since this doesn't seem to be a labor of love, this is how I look at it: You are providing a service. You have the right to charge whatever you like, not what he says. He has the right to counteroffer, which you can choose to accept or not accept. If he doesn't like the amount you are charging, HE has the right to go find someone else (or try anyway).

elmjimmlm
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I have done in home daycare for 11 years and raising prices is not easy to do...I do think that you have every right to charge what you want...The cost of everything now is getting out of hand and you need to keep up with the times...I have done 3rd shift and I always charged more for it...It has to be one of the hardest to do especially with a child that is hard to deal with...This is your job and if he cant deal with it then tell him to find someone else to do it...

Stitchahula
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I think what everyone has said so far is pretty much on the money. Excuse the pun. I think you are undercharging for the amount of time you watch his kid. I do think you should write up a contract put in how much per week and do an estimate of hours. I would also put in it a no show/ cancelation fee since he has a habit of doing this. Have it been something like 2 no shows/cancelation without 24 hour notice and after that he'll be charged either full or half the cost of that day. I know emergencies happen but if he does this too you all the time maybe this will stop it.

Flower
05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow, to me you are being EXTREMELY generous.

The lady across the street charges $25 per day, you have to sign a contract stating you will pay whether the child is there or not, AND you have to pay her for stat holidays and while you are on vacation. We opted to a full-service daycare that charges $32 per day and has the same contract stipulations.

What difference is it that he is in school or not? He is in your care for the same amount of time.

crazypoohbear
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Most people working 3rd shift get a per diem rate for working the graveyard shift!

You should write up a contract detailing what you do with the child. you should also tell him that you will now be charging a week ahead of time. That way he is paying for services before he receives them so he wouldn' t be so inclined to no show.

Break down the hours by the amount and show it to him. Ask him if he is willing to work for that amount. I think the fact that you do do the late shift you kinda have him over a barrel. How many daycares provide over night care in your area! I bet he'd be stuck.
Keep a log of the bad behavior and present it to the parent at the end of the week. Explain that if it continues you will have to end the arrangement.

tinkerbellybutton
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
First of all, on behalf of parents everywhere let me say thank you. :notworth: Even though you don't watch my children you are making a difference in their generation. I think childcare and teaching are primarily thankless jobs. Second, you are not being unreasonable at all. I'm wondering if he's one of those parents who complain about the price of childcare but are more than willing to pay someone 30 or 40 dollars a day to house sit or take care of their animals while they are on vacation :confused: (can you tell I've run into that with soneone I babysat for?) Anyway, my point is that he should be thankful that you charge reasonable rates and you're in a convenient location, not to mention I'm sure you give him a lot of TLC.

Patty
05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
A couple of quick little questions.

#1 do you watch him at his house or yours?

Either way your rate is very reasonable, and I do not blame you for wanting an increase. I was always told when I first had children that you can't be unwilling to pay a sitters rate while you are working because without that sitter you wouldn't be able to make anything. The reason I ask is because if it is at you house, maybe some of the behavior problems is because he is going to bed so late for a young boy and then getting up for school in the morning. Also if it was at his house, then he is providing breakfast, but if it is your house, then you are providing the food.

#2 Any chance of you moving to RI. Your rates are to good to pass up! :D

sharimac
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
The amount of the original increase from $50 to $75 (which was actually a 50% increase, not 33%) is irrelevant at this point, it was a while ago now. You were undercharging significantly and you had to whatever it took to get your rates in line. I agree with the posters who said to get it in writing. I would sit down and put together a comprehensive contract that both of you sign. I would also print some info out on going rates to show him that you are not being unreasonable. He should be willing to pay a fair rate to get good quality care for his child.

Disney Doll
05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
My mom used to do home daycare and it seems like she always had clients who would take advantage of her because she was a home provider and not at a center. Parents would routinely drop their kids off early with no notice, pick them up late, not pay on time, etc. You absolutely need a written contract or else you will always have people who will take advantage. Check out the rates and the policies at your local daycare center. I too think you should be charging more. Also, it's very common to have to pay for childcare whether your child shows up or not. Licensed providers are only allowed to keep a certain number of children. If you want to reserve a spot for your child you pay for those days whether you use them or not. Also, I would start keeping a daily log for the parent. My old daycare did this and I always thought it was really helpful. It would include things like what the kid ate, what time he slept, and any behavior concerns. It is a good way to keep the parents informed and also a good way to address concerns you might have about behavior.

Mackflava99
05-13-2008, 03:39 PM
50$ a week is very cheap-
it really depends on the hours involved-

We paid my mother inlaw 250$ a week and people said that was low- but i have twins and it was from 8-4 daily