PDA

View Full Version : bubble tea

ShanPooh
05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Is there still bubble tea (flavored tea with black tapioca balls served with a giant straw) in Epcot's China pavillion? We had so much fun drinking it the last time we were there!

Thanks!

TinkiTime1989
05-01-2008, 11:55 PM
We got it at the end of March. It was more like chocolate milk though with little tapioca squares, not exactly the traditional Bubble Tea we're used to getting at places around here. It was still pretty good though.

brewcrew26
05-01-2008, 11:55 PM
There is a choco-boba tea that they serve at Lotus Blossom Cafe. We were so excited to find that! We can't find bubble tea at a lot of places back home, so it was a nice surprise. It just tasted like Hershey's chocolate milk with the tapioca beads, though!

I still love Lollicup Teazone's the best!!

ShanPooh
05-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks Brew and Tinki!

Sounds like they changed it a bit.
DD may still want to partake though.

Mulan
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
In all the trips to EPCOT, I have not heard of this. It sounds fun. We will have to get this on our next trip. Thanks for mentioning this!

McGoofy
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
My DH likes to get that drink from Lotus Blossom Cafe that tastes like chocolate milk that has the tapioca balls in it. I have never heard it called bubble tea, and it just comes with a regular straw. My DH calls it milk tea because that's what it was called when he had it for the first time he took a trip to Taiwan. He was surprised that the one at Epcot tasted as authentic as the milk tea that he had in Taiwan.:thumbsup:

animalkingdomguy
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
This is slightly off topic. But it appears that the posters have voiced regret that the bubble tea is chocolate milk and tapioca. I had a similar regretful experience at the counter service in China. In 2000 I purchased red bean ice cream is was great and it was red bean ice cream. In 2007 the same menu item resulted in strawberry ice cream with occasional red beans. The package ingredients label proved my point as it was strawberry ice cream base. I was quite disapointed that Dinsey thought that the American palate could not cope with an exotic favor of this ice cream.

Ian
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I was quite disapointed that Dinsey thought that the American palate could not cope with an exotic favor of this ice cream.I highly doubt that's the reason they made the switch.

Disney has been working hard to homogenize their offerings across the property, both in terms of merchandise and food offerings. You're seeing less and less of these true speciality items in places like Epcot and more and more standardization of menu items.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Is this "bubble tea" really good?

We just returned from a trip to Chicago. We went to their Chinatown. We bought a couple of fruit smoothie type drinks which had the large black tapioca balls in them. At first, the concoction tasted pretty good. Then, it was just flat annoying because I swallowed several of these large "beads" everytime I sipped on my straw. Of course, It didn't help that my husband kept calling them "fish eyeballs." :ack: I don't know if I can try a drink containing these again.

brewcrew26
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Is this "bubble tea" really good?

We just returned from a trip to Chicago. We went to their Chinatown. We bought a couple of fruit smoothie type drinks which had the large black tapioca balls in them. At first, the concoction tasted pretty good. Then, it was just flat annoying because I swallowed several of these large "beads" everytime I sipped on my straw. Of course, It didn't help that my husband kept calling them "fish eyeballs." :ack: I don't know if I can try a drink containing these again.

In the realm of bubble teas, it wasn't that good. It hit a spot that needed an itch, but since then I've found a better place back home that makes more traditional flavors. (Yay Mekong Cafe!)

The one in China was pretty much some gelatin in chocolate milk. I'm sure it's a great way to introduce kids to bubble tea, but if you didn't really like the stuff in Chinatown, I'd pass on it.

As for the red bean ice cream, I thought it tasted fairly red beany to me. And the ingredients didn't say anything about a strawberry base.