PDA

View Full Version : 5 April Dining Reviews

MOJoe
05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
This April, i saved a little money and stayed at All Star Music, so my family, me, my wife, and 2 sons 14 & 9, could eat at some of WDW's top places. To be fair, dining in The World is part of the fun for us (well, mostly me and the wife).....and probably you too. So without further formalities, i offer my dining reviews, in order, from least favorite to the best.

#5 Coral Reef Repeat Visit

Atmosphere - One of the most unique settings in the World, but aren't all those crying kids supposed to be mesmerized by the fish?
Drinks - Blue Glowtini, Deep Blue Martini
Appetizers - Sea and Land, Lobster Soup
Entrees - Kid's Mac n Cheese, NY Strip, Mahi, and Salmon.
Desert - Chocolate Wave
The Bill - $149

Thoughts - The appetizers were smallish, and lacked flavor. My son's steak was dry, also with little flavor. My wife's Mahi was good, as was my Salmon. But the Salmon recipie was not the same as last time, and not nearly as good. The food generally wasn't cooked to perfection, or seasoned well enough. On the other hand, The Chocolate Wave was one of the best deserts anywhere.
The Verdict - One of the best Salmon dishes i have ever had was here. So the Coral Reef was a big let down this time. We love the setting, but may decide to keep the fish here as friends - not food.

#4 Rose & Crown First Visit

Atmosphere - Sitting outside exposes you to the elements, but inside is similar to Columbia Harbor. If the weather cooperates, it can be very romantic on the patio.
Drinks - Boddingtons, Welsh Dragon
Appetizers - Fruit & Cheese
Entrees - Kids Bangers & Mash, Roast Chicken, Surf and Turf, Roast Lamb
Dessert - Chocolate Cake
The Bill - $109

Thoughts - With Bangers & Mash on the menu you don't expect fine dining here, but i was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Especially my Lamb with mint.
The Verdict - No complaints, and since you get a view of Illuminations with your meal, this is be a place we will return to.

#3 The Flying Fish Cafe First Visit

Atmosphere - A lively place, yet feels very upscale, with a clientel to match. No crying kids here.
Drinks - Blue Glowtini, Cold Stream Pinot
Appetizers - Caesar Salad, Crab Cakes
Entrees - Mickey Pasta, Kid's Grilled Chicken, and 2 Wrapped Snapper
No Desert
The Bill - $133

Thoughts - Somehow i expected more here. The food presentation looked great, and everything was very good, but nothing was truly outstanding. The appetizers were incomplete on their own and needed each other.
The Verdict - The wonderful food presentation and the atmosphere indicates that my opinion may be off, so we will most likely give this place another try.

#2 The Hollywood Brown Derby Repeat Visit

Atmosphere - Maybe a little unfair, since we were seated in the semi-private Bamboo Room. This was one of the most relaxed and enjoyable meals we have ever had in the World. Our server, Andrea, pampered us silly.
Drinks - Derby Delight, #10 Martini
Appetizer - Cobb Salad
Entrees - Kid's Beef n Mac, Pork Chop, 2 NY Strips
Desert - Soft Chocolate Cake
The Bill - $150

Thoughts - You could make a meal from just the Cobb Salad, but you better not. Everything was cooked to perfection. The Steaks were flavorful and my Pork with Polenta was incredible. We all cleaned our plates. With 2 young pickey eaters, that says it all.
The Verdict - This meal puts the Brown Derby firmly at #2. A definite repeat visit is in order. And if we can be seated in the Bamboo Room with Andrea as our server, all the better.

#1 California Grill First Visit

For those who have been to this fabulous restaurant, it should come as no surprise that it is my #1 pick. For those who have never tried it, here are my thoughts

Atmosphere - Overlooking Cinderella's Castle, there are few places in the real world that rival the view. This is upscale, fine dining at it's best, with a very refined feel. I wished that i was staying at this resort, so i could hang out at the bar every night.
Drinks - Byron Pinot
Appetizers - Cheese Flatbread, Toasted Ravioli, Rainbow Roll Sushi
Entrees - Kid's Mac n Cheese, Kid's Steak, Oak Fired Filet, Pork Tenderloin
Desert - Valrhona Cake
The Bill - $199

Thoughts - Our Server, Bill, suggested a Pinot, and let me taste my selection as well. His choice was the obvious winner. The appetizers were very good. This was not the best sushi i have ever had, but it was close. My wife was overwhelmed with her Pork, and my Steak melted in my mouth. It was perhaps the best Filet i have had at any restaurant.
The Verdict - Having an incredible meal in one of the most unique settings in America is nothing to take lightly. The California Grill lived up to my expectations, and as long as i can keep coming back to Walt Disney World, i will keep coming back here.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this, and i hope it helps you keep, or even make new ADR's. Of course this is all just my opinion, from a point in time. So be your own judge. I hope in coming years, to try a few other great places, so keep posting your own opinions. Cause the only thing better than eating great food, is reading about eating great food!

Happy Trips All
Joe from MO

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Interesting reviews. I am glad to have a chance to read them.

We too love California Grill. We had the cheese plate and the goat cheese ravioli (amongst other things) two things I would suggest trying on your next visit. I think that it was simply some of the best service I have ever had, and I can be a bit difficult to impress in that arena since I was involved in fine dining for a bit. Our server was extremely attentive but not overly so, a task difficult to master. I was blown away when he presented me with a demi tasse spoon in order to feed the baby her dinner. Not only attentive to my and the other adults needs but also those of the children. I know that this is WDW but still impressive in such an establishment. Plus we were spoiled in the back dining room all to ourselves (there were 15 of us total).

I have been hesitant about the Brown Derby, nothing seems to jump out at me on the menu, but after your review I think I may have to discuss trying it with DH.

Thank you for such complete reviews, atmosphere, menu items, pricing, your experience and opinions. It really helped me get a full picture of the venues.

mouseketeer mom
05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I like your reviews. We have an ADR for both Brown Derby and Flying Fish for August and I'm not sure about keeping them. We like good food,and relaxed places. You made Brown Derby sound appealing! Flying Fish didn't sound too friendly for kids. Hmmmm...

offwego
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the great reviews:mickey:

gardenia
05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I will echo your sentiment about the Hollywood Brown Derby - "Everything was cooked to perfection". I don't know why we never ate there before this year, but the food and service were both outstanding!

Thanks for your thoughtful reviews.

brewcrew26
05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I also loved the lamb at Rose & Crown. I was pleasantly surprised by it since I normally get the Shepherd's Pie.

We've got Cali Grill on our to-do list! Glad you liked it so much!

Jeff
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the excellently done reviews.

My family tried the California Grill last Dec. for the 1st time, and like you, we were very, very impressed. In fact my wife and I had the same main selections as you and your wife. It was fantastic and worth the splurge.

eyoreswife
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
:eat:thanks for the great reviews, we tried coral ref last year as a repeat visit and were dissapointed also it seemed so much better the first time we went, maybe they changed chefs?:chef: loved the finding nemo reference. brown derby is one we have been thinking of trying in july and i think you just sold me

Off to Never Land
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the detailed reviews. I chuckled at the end when I realized how someone in your family loves mac and cheese. No matter where you go, you can usually find pretty good mac and cheese :mickey:

Vinny
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks for posting your reviews. The Brown Derby is one of my favorites too.

MissStyles
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Cause the only thing better than eating great food, is reading about eating great food!

I couldn't agree with you more........thanks for sharing your experiences with us!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kairi_7378
05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your reviews. I'm sorry that you found Coral Reef to be a bit of a disappointment. We had Bill as our server for our first visit to the CA Grill, we thought he was great! He wa spot on with wine recommendations too.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I enjoyed reading your reviews. I agree that the pork at the Cali Grille is amazing. I've never had anything like it anywhere. I'm getting hungry! :eat:

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Love the reviews! California Grill is my favorite, too. Thanks for sharing.

Jared
05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reviews, Joe. I especially like how you organized your post.

Sounds like you had a few wonderful dining experience. If Flying Fish Cafe was only the third best, the other two must have been great!

:tasty:

Natazu
05-03-2008, 02:15 AM
I greatly enjoyed reading your reviews. I'm a big fan of all five of those restaurants and I'm glad you liked them. Bill's a very capable server and as much a Disney fan as any of us. One of the best things about California Grill is the extremely low staff turnover. The CMs are pretty happy there even when Mrs B cracks the whip. No surprise it came in number one.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Awesome post thanks for the update.