PDA

View Full Version : May Healthy Living Thread

Carol
05-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Share your May diet (healthy living) - excercise - lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone! :cheer:

:hurdle: :walk: :rope: :strong: :lift: :trampo: :bowl:

Disney-4-Me
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I've found that making a competition of losing weight or working out the most minutes helps me stay motivated. At work we formed teams for a Biggest Loser contest right after Christmas. I always work harder for 'the team' than I do just for myself. Our team won first place!

My tip for losing weight is to make it a competition! :yay:

Beast_fanatic
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
We have periodic competitions at work - either step challenges that are completely walking based, or step/activity challenges that combine the steps you register on your pedometer with steps per minute of certain activities using a conversion chart. In general, a regular person has no chance of winning (we have some marathoners and speed cyclists that work for us), but I do find it to be a good motivational tool.

Gooftroop5
05-06-2008, 11:05 AM
My dh work does this every summer through the fall. They have walking clubs & you get a team of 4 or 5. They give everyone a pedometer & you record you milage every week. I forget what they give the winning team. Last year dh's team leader broke his elbow so he wasn't walking as much as he could.

This year dh should do even better than he did last year. We live 1.1 miles away from work. So he gets 2.2 miles just walking to & from work. We are both a lot more active this year (we exercise 6 days a week not including dh walking to work) then we were last year & with gas prices we are going to be walking everywhere we can & only take the car out when we have no other choice like to get groceries. Maybe his team will win this year.

I've already started getting recipes for the vegetables we plant in our garden & I can get locally grown. We live near some Amish families that sell their produce for a quarter what we'd pay for non-Amish vegetable stand & grocery stores. We are definitely going to be eating vegetables with a little meat/fish & pasta or rice. I'm even researching vegetarian minus soy. I am allergic to soy so I am going to have to rely on beans & legumes, & dairy besides meat. Which is how we should be eating anyways.

We figured with gas prices keeping going up & the prices of food that we are not going to have any problem with keep up losing weight. We are not going to be able to afford to eat & since we won't be able to afford putting gas in the car all the walking & bike riding will help us slim right down.:D

Bethis26fan
05-19-2008, 02:15 PM
We don't have anything like that here at work but I started taking alli with what I was already doing a week ago and now my roommate and a coworker is going to start so I can feel like I've got to make sure I stay on my game since they are kind of watching me. So far i've lost 12 lbs. :) My goal is to loose 8 more by June 12 then I'll set a new goal from there.

I'm just watching my calories and fat and then I walk on my lunch break and do an exercise dvd before dinner.

tinkerbell04
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Beth, Have you had any ill side effects from the Alli? That is the one thing stopping me from trying it. I have been watching fat and calories and trying to walk in the evenings. I have lost 12 pounds in the last week, but still have quite a ways to go.

IloveDisney71
05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
A group of us at work started Weight Watchers together and many of us have done very well. I've lost 25 pounds and am now a lifetimer. I've maintained my weight since January. I think having a good support team helps keep me motivated and weighing in once a month keeps me on tract. My next goal is to start exercising on a regular basis.

IloveDisney71
05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Beth, Have you had any ill side effects from the Alli? That is the one thing stopping me from trying it. I have been watching fat and calories and trying to walk in the evenings. I have lost 12 pounds in the last week, but still have quite a ways to go.

One of my DD's friends tried Alli and had to stop taking it after about a week. She was having adverse side effects (like not making it to the bathroom:blush: in time). I hope you get my meaning without me having to say it literally. ;)

Bethis26fan
05-20-2008, 08:44 AM

lol they call it "treatment effects" in the book, but no I've had no problems at all. I was a little weary about trying it because my stomach can be sensitive at times but it's fine. My cousin/roommate started it Saturday and she's had no effects either. As long as you stay in the range for calories and fat grams your suppose to be ok.

tinkerbell04
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM

DUH! That would be some diet if I could lose 12 pounds a week LOL! I meant 12 pounds in the past month! Sorry!!!

Beth I am glad that you didn't have any side effects, or what was it, treatment efects :) I know a few people that have had the same bathroom problem and that was what I am most afraid of....yes I got it without you having to spell it out for me :) I am a teacher and for obvious reasons, can't always run to the bathroom at the instant that I need to...get what I am saying ?!?!?

Bethis26fan
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
yea I understand that. I work an office job so if I had to I could slip out but I had no problems. I also started in on the weekend so I could see how it would go.

I missed the week lol I didn't even see the month till you reposted it lol. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I think that I am going to give it a shot when school lets out and we are on summer break in a few weeks. Thanks for all the inside info :)

SBETigg
05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm doing the Fat Smash diet popularized on the VH1 show Celebrity Fit Club. In fact, I joined the website and it has been wonderful. They help with daily meal plans and daily exercise plans (cardio and weights). It has made it easy for me. I've lost twenty pounds since March and I'm working on my other twenty now. My goal is to lose 40 by my 40th birthday (oct 8).

tinkerbell04
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Sherri thats great about your weight loss! I will check that site out!

Bethis26fan
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm doing the Fat Smash diet popularized on the VH1 show Celebrity Fit Club. In fact, I joined the website and it has been wonderful. They help with daily meal plans and daily exercise plans (cardio and weights). It has made it easy for me. I've lost twenty pounds since March and I'm working on my other twenty now. My goal is to lose 40 by my 40th birthday (oct 8).

Way to go twenty pounds is a lot .

SBETigg
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks! Support really does help. :) Congratulations to everyone else, too. Losing even one pound is a success. Some weeks, I'm happy just to not gain. :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
05-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks! Support really does help. :) Congratulations to everyone else, too. Losing even one pound is a success. Some weeks, I'm happy just to not gain. :thumbsup:

I'm having a week like that. I've been under the weather and haven't felt up to working out like I should so I'm just hoping I don't gain this week.

Here we go again...
05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi guys,
I have been laying low because I fell off the wagon... the Weight Watchers wagon that is.

I have been on prednisone again and that always packs the pounds on me no matter what I do. I got so depressed about gaining back 7 pounds in 1 week that I was not journaling at all for the next 2 weeks. I gained back a total of 13 pounds in 3 weeks.

I am back on track and working with a new physical therapist. He is kicking my booty in the gym working on knee strengthening exercises and they are working! I have more strength in my knee than ever and I am back to work full time.

I had to add points to my WW daily points because I was at a plateu and they thought I was over doing it on the exercise. I walk at work all day and go to the gym and/or pool every day of the week. We will see if I lose anything Saturday. Wish me luck!!!

SBETigg
05-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Angel, :hug: prednisone will really knock you for a loop in the diet efforts. I have to take it for my asthma occasionally. Good for you for stepping up your efforts.

I let go a little this weekend, my son's birthday as well as Memorial Day, and I could not regret it more when I stepped on the scale Monday. So unfair that it comes back on so much easier than it comes off! Plus, I feel blaaagh, so slowed down, no energy. And I haven't kicked my butt back to the gym yet, but you've inspired me so I am going back today.

Tiggerlovr9000
05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I have really gotten out of shape. Would like to walk but it is so boring. Decided to use someones idea to do a virtual walk to WDW. How do I find out how many miles that is from here? Thanks in advance.

Beast_fanatic
06-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I have really gotten out of shape. Would like to walk but it is so boring. Decided to use someones idea to do a virtual walk to WDW. How do I find out how many miles that is from here? Thanks in advance.

You can use mapquest - just put in your address and a street address for WDW, and it will map out the route and tell you how many miles it is. There are lots of other map sites as well that will do the same for you.

Tiggerlovr9000
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
You can use mapquest - just put in your address and a street address for WDW, and it will map out the route and tell you how many miles it is. There are lots of other map sites as well that will do the same for you.

Thank you so much. The walk will start tomorrow and I will keep everyone posted. Wish me luck.

Tiggerlovr9000
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Could not figure out how to edit last post. It is 1,494 miles to WDW from my house. Hoping to walk at least 5 miles a day. Its so funny when I walk here I am bored and it seems so hard. When I was at WDW last week I can walk and run all over the place and feel enerigzed.

SBETigg
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Tracey, best wishes with it! Isn't it true about having no problem walking around WDW, but getting bored with it at home.

What I do is I try to imagine that I am walking around one of the parks. I try to picture the landmarks around me and pretend I'm hustling to get to my favorite attraction, running to the Castle, then by the castle to get to POTC, etc. Silly, I know, but it helps me.