PDA

View Full Version : Short VMK News Article

jjramsey
05-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Here is a new short article on VMK:

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008/4/30/parents_plan_to_boycott_disney_over_web_site_dilem ma.html

Anybody else heard about a boycott?

JPL
05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Makes you wonder when Disney is going to realize the damage they are doing to the brand.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-01-2008, 08:29 PM
So far nothing has swayed VMK's decision. Let's hope that this article brings attention to that. Bring on the boycott! :thedolls:

varcity
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Chescat said there are boycots on the 10th and 17th. I coincidentaly will be there the 10th, will say hello to Cat, and enjoy my day. Even though I have a cause to fight for, I don't believe in boycots. :mickey:

Chescat
05-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Chescat said there are boycots on the 10th and 17th. I coincidentaly will be there the 10th, will say hello to Cat, and enjoy my day. Even though I have a cause to fight for, I don't believe in boycots. :mickey:

I have been told the organization: VMK Kids U Nite are going to be protesting at DLR on May 10th from 7:00am - 11:00am. They have got their permit for protest from City of Anaheim and got the green light for a good ahead. This is the information they have published:

Locations: West Ball Road & South Disneyland Drive - and - South Harbor Boulevard & Disney Way

Chescat
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Did you see today that Disney updated their Terms of Use on their website to prevent people from copying vmk? Interesting it gets updated now:

http://home.disney.go.com/guestservices/termsofuse

RicksCafe
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Did you see today that Disney updated their Terms of Use....I just love reading Terms of Use statements. It's like reading a love letter. They make me so happy, nay thrilled to be a resident of the "third rock from the sun." Oops! Now NBC will be after me for copyright infringement!

Ricks (who will grumble about lawyers until he needs one)

WDWizard
05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's the official press release by the group that is organizing this protest ---

VMK Kids Unite Press Release

Disney, “Year of a Million BROKEN Dreams”

Over a million guests to Disney Magic Kingdom are told the online park is closing, forever.

Burbank, California – May 2, 2008 – In an unprecedented action, Disney officials are closing the gates to one of their family parks, forever. Last month, over a million registered visitors were given formal notice that the online Magic Kingdom (VMK) will close forever on May 21, 2008, 10:00PM DST. Guests are being told the experience was only to promote, the now three year old, Disney’s 50th Anniversary Celebration despite Disney’s continued advertising partnerships with Kellogg’s, Disney Pin Trader, eBay and up through last month, Disney Movie Rewards. Kids & parents throughout United States and around the World are done asking, “Why?” and are now taking financial actions and protesting Disney.

On May 10, 2008, VMK Kids Unite (www.vmkkidsunite.com) will be out in front of Disneyland in Anaheim, California to protest the recent decision to close the online park and publicly ask Disney why they are breaking the dreams of over a million kids throughout the World. The organization is calling upon Disney to remain true to their promise and not make this the “Year of a Million BROKEN Dreams” as these kids will permanently lose hundreds of friendships, forever.

Various sites and discussions, including the Save VMK, an online petitioning organization with over 16,000 signatures, are now calling for a boycott of all Disney related products and services. This new guest initiated movement to boycott Disney has yet to change the minds of top Disney Officials. Walt Disney Internet Group spokesman for and producer of VMK, Seth Mendelsohn (yavn) said recently, “We hear you and we share your concern and sorrow”; however, offered no revision of their decision to close the online park.

“Disney has yet to show any compassion for the kids whose dreams are being broken by their discussion to close the park.” said Christopher Douglas spokesman for VMK Kids Unite, “It is time to publicly ask Disney; what happened to the Year of a Million Dreams?”. Obtaining the final clearance from the City of Anaheim Planning Department their protest is moving forward on May 10, 2008, 7 to 11AM, currently with over 30 pre-registered participants, around the main thoroughfares to Disneyland at the intersections of West Ball Road & South Disneyland Drive and the second location at South Harbor Boulevard & Disney Way in the City of Anaheim.

“At first, I just saw this (VMK) as a game that people use to entertain themselves; however, when you hear of Madison Reed, an 11-year-old spinal muscular atrophy sufferer, who for the first time could virtual walk in the happiest place on Earth and not be judged by her inabilities you realize the dreams of kids throughout the World will be broken, forever”, says Jamie Knoll who was originally supportive of the closure.

VMK Kids Unite is an organization formed to unite guests who are being displaced by the recent decision to close the online Magic Kingdom, a game that goes beyond the typical multiplayer game. It allows safe, interactive social networking for kids of all ages, known as, “The Happiest Place on the Internet”. With support of various organizations VMK Kids Unite is bringing together the community for an opportunity to ask Disney if they really intend to directly destroy the dreams of over a million kids throughout the World.

To go as far as to protest the game's closure outside of Disneyland is just too much, in my opinion. I think there are much better things to protest about than an online game, but at least if the game closes they will all know they tried their best to keep it open. I also doubt young kids will actually stand outside of Disneyland to protest when they could be at the park (unless they are forced to do so by their VMK-loving parents). Bottom line is that the game is closing, the decision has been made, and I think we should all just enjoy it while we can.

For all you West Coasters that are going to the VMK protest, take pictures (and video if you can, too). I've got to see this.:thumbsup: