PDA

View Full Version : We are all different

xipetotec
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't really know where to post this as it applies to everything.

I just find it funny how it's in our nature ( mine included ) to ask others what they think of something. When really, every person is different.

I look around the boards and people ask what's your favorite/least favorite attraction, park, restaurant, meal etc. And the answers vary so wildly.

What's even better is how one person's "HORRIBLE" is another person's "GREAT". :) ...

A good example is Yak and Yeti. My whole family really did not like this place *at all* and do not plan on ever returning. However, many people here loved it. We *are* big fans of the descent at the end of Spaceship Earth while many have cried out against it.

Not really a question, just a fun obersvation and a reminder that even if people say something is horrible, you really need to be the judge for yourself. :thumbsup:

Gregandmel
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I love asking opinions about things, as it has helped me in my planning. I've taken advice off this board from people, which has leaned me one way or another about something. I was dead set AGAINST doing ME due to ONE opinion I had heard and was willing to shell out $110 to do QS. AFter hearing multiple good stories, I've changed my mind, and now we are going to spend that $$ on somewhere nice to eat. But you are right - everyone's opinion is going to be different, but I find that for the most part, it leans heavily in one direction on a subject. I've heard some bad things about Sci-Fi, but we are still going to do it because I think the atmosphere will more than make up for sub-par food - but we love to try new things. Thanks for bringing up the subject though.

Buttercup
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I try and read all opinions on stuff, the good and the bad. I form my own opinion after that.
Even if someone says something is horrible, I'll try it anyway and see if I agree or not!

Marker
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I find myself reading the negative comments with much more scrutiny than I do positive comments. Partly, I'm sure, because right or wrong I'd probably much rather hear positive comments. Also, partly because I feel there is a significant difference between a critique and being critical. Unfortunately, in my opinion, there are numerous posters who simply prefer to be critical for the sport of it. That may not be a fair attitude, but it's what I feel.

If I feel something is offered as a fair critique, I'll give it much more attention than something that strikes me as simply being critical, or complaining just to complain.

Another trap I often find myself in when someone says something "IS" terrible, rather than offering it as an opinion, "it is my feeling that", "to me it was terrible". I know it's a minor difference, a matter of semantics, but using "IS" comes across as though it is intended to be a definitive truth, an absolute, rendering any other opinion wrong.

I like hearing opinions, similar or different. I like hearing a fair critique, positive or negative. But I don't care for what feels like being told what to think, or being told my opinion was "wrong".

But then, that's just my opinion.

The OP is correct, we are all different. And that's one of the things that make this so much fun.

Another thing that puzzles me, and I'm just as guilty as the next person, is when people post their meal plans. But as you say, everyone's taste and opinion is different, but still in our excitement about making our plans, we love to share, and we love to have others validate our selections. I'll read them, think it odd, but then turn around and post my own plans.

TheMartellFamily
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
That is what makes these boards great. I know I have opinions about things and I agree and disagree with that. I know I can state what I want and not be offended if someone has a different one than mine. I guess this is what makes these boards so great. I do like to have an opinion about most things and can put it to words in some format here or otherwise.

BluewaterBrad
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes we are all different!:mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I like to read what others have to say about what we have done/planning to do...I dont really take restaurant reviews to heart because I know that eventually we will try them all but it doesnt hurt to look...

xipetotec
05-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Another trap I often find myself in when someone says something "IS" terrible, rather than offering it as an opinion, "it is my feeling that", "to me it was terrible". I know it's a minor difference, a matter of semantics, but using "IS" comes across as though it is intended to be a definitive truth, an absolute, rendering any other opinion wrong.

Oh I know what you mean. I have a hard time not feeling just a little bit insulted when it's somewhere that I really liked when someone says "This place IS TERRIBLE!" ... But I suppose I might have said it myself of Tony's Town Square and/or Yak and Yeti TS. :blush:

prprincess
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Another trap I often find myself in when someone says something "IS" terrible, rather than offering it as an opinion, "it is my feeling that", "to me it was terrible". I know it's a minor difference, a matter of semantics, but using "IS" comes across as though it is intended to be a definitive truth, an absolute, rendering any other opinion wrong. I used to have a huge issue with this myself, especially since I have a blog on LJ and a pretty good ammount of people who visit/comment to it. But I think that it doesn't bother me as much anymore because I try to keep in mind that when I do read things like that, the poster/commenter is inferring "IMO" or "in my opinion".

I do come here specifically to get people's different opinions and takes on things. Sometimes I come across opinoins and ideas that I never heard/thought of before, and I love that. But I usually take opinions with a grain of salt. If someone says something stinks or they hated it, but my "gut" tells me that I'll love it, I'll go ahead and try it anyway.

Jeff G
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
One of the main reasons I enjoy Intercot so much is that opinions shared vary greatly yet for the most part the threads stay civil. There are so many things to see & do at WDW that even taking a trip every year it's impossible to see everything. When deciding a new restaurant or resort it's nice to be able to here the differing opinion when trying to make the decision. Boy can opinions vary though, a perfect example is the Sci-Fi where many loathe the place while many others have it as a must do.

I try to avoid reading to much into new/refurbished rides though because I really don't want a preconceived notion before I experience it on my own.

Self assurance is the main reason I ask for opinions plus I like to hear others opinions/expertise. Many of our trips have been made better by listening to others here and their experiences.

SBETigg
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm of the opposite mind on this issue. We're all posting on a message board. Obviously, we're just stating our own opinions, making it redundant to add "in my opinion" or silly (to me ;) ) to get offended by someone else just offering an opinion.

If someone says "Sci Fi is terrible!" they mean they don't like it and they had a terrible experience. I don't need the clarification that it's not really terrible, or that I might find it not terrible. And when people add things like "in my humble opinion," I usually find that their opinion is not so humble after all. In fact, going out of the way to add that "it's just my opinion" seems often to be a way to lend more importance to your own opinion instead of automatically accepting that - of course- everyone is only expressing an opinion.

I do not like Coral Reef. I've had a terrible experience there. I'm not likely to recommend it, but I wouldn't suggest that someone else shouldn't try it. Prior to going to Coral Reef, I'd read awful reviews and I was determined to try it anyway. I'm glad I did. Now I know for myself. Similarly, Boma gets a lot of good reviews and on that basis, I decided to add it to my last trip. Again, glad I did, but this time not to learn from my own mistakes. This time, I found a new restaurant to love. I love to hear opinions, and then I go and form new opinions of my own from there.

IloveDisney71
05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
...I do not like Coral Reef. I've had a terrible experience there. I'm not likely to recommend it, but I wouldn't suggest that someone else shouldn't try it. Prior to going to Coral Reef, I'd read awful reviews and I was determined to try it anyway. I'm glad I did. Now I know for myself. Similarly, Boma gets a lot of good reviews and on that basis, I decided to add it to my last trip. Again, glad I did, but this time not to learn from my own mistakes. This time, I found a new restaurant to love. I love to hear opinions, and then I go and form new opinions of my own from there.

I totally agree with this. I had heard bad reviews about Sci-Fi but wanted to experience it for myself. I thought it was pretty bad and will never eat there again, but I'm glad I gave it a chance since the atmosphere was unlike anything I've ever experienced before.
I had heard wonderful things about Boma so we gave it a try and will be returning there on future visits because we enjoyed it SO much.
Read the reviews and then try the new places or not - that is up to the individual to decide for themselves. :mickey:

Gottaluvgoof
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm right and you're all wrong! So THERE!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This is a funny thread. It is very true, we are all different. (I'm the one who is right though.) :D

:mickey: :blush: :) :cool: :D